Sequel: The Code
Status: 7/22: Complete! Read final AN and check out the sequel page! (:

All That Glitters Is Silver

Werewolves And Monsters.

I glanced nervously between the two teens, “What’s going on? You guys are creeping me out.”

Scott pursed his lips, thinking hard about how he was going to go about this.

However, Stiles beat him to the punch. “You remember that deal we jokingly made in my car a few days ago?”

I thought hard about that conversation. That last few days had been fuzzy. “Not really.” I answered truthfully.

“Well,” Stiles sighed anxiously, “You said that you’d go see a doctor if Scott and I told you what was really going on.”

“Oh,” I nodded, remembering vaguely, “Right. Are you finally going to tell me what the hell is going on in this insane town?” I scooted forward, no longer fearing of being axed to death by them.

Stiles and Scott exchanged another painful glance. “I think you should probably call in sick. This is going to take awhile.”

I nodded, remembering that I had to call my dad anyway. I called him and told him I had arrived safely at school. It was unnerving how easily and convincing I could lie now. Before I had come to Beacon Hills I never so much as stretched the truth a little. Now, it seemed that all I was doing was lying through my teeth.

Next, I called the school posing as my mother. The news of my involvement at the video store had spread and the attendance lady told me to tell myself I was excused until I felt up to coming back to school.

As soon as I put my phone away, Scott and Stiles exited the jeep. I followed their lead and soon we were deep in the forest.

“We don’t want anyone to catch us in the act of murdering you.” Stiles said, earning another smack from his friend.

“We don’t want to be overheard.” Scott corrected.

“I think we’re safe. Everyone’s at school or work. No one is wandering the forest.” I told them earnestly.

“You’d be surprised.” Stiles muttered darkly. The way he said it made my skin crawl.

A few minutes of silence passed before we halted at a heavily wooded area. Scott motioned to a large fallen log. “You might want to sit down.” I nodded, plopping down on the mossy trunk.

“Where to begin?” Stiles chuckled awkwardly. “I guess we should start off first by telling you we’re not crazy.”

“How comforting.” I mumbled, feeling anxiety rise in my stomach. They both started to pace, making me even more terrified for what was coming.

“Stiles says that you’re convinced you were never bitten.” Scott ran a hand through his dark locks.

“Bitten by what?” I asked impatiently, “A mosquito?”

Stiles chuckled as if it was the most absurd thing he’d ever heard. “Not exactly. Something a bit…larger.”

I stayed quiet, waiting for my answer.

Scott stopped pacing and looked seriously into my eyes, “A werewolf.”

I couldn’t stop the hysterical laughter that burst from my mouth. “You cannot be serious!” I doubled over in laughter. They had lost their minds.

“Do you remember what I said about us not being crazy wackadoos?” Stiles stressed as I chortled away.

“This isn’t a joke, Cassie!” Scott sat me up roughly, his voice urgent and slightly angry. I stopped suddenly, scared by Scott’s outburst. “This is real!

“Werewolves aren’t real.” But even as the words came out I wasn’t so sure anymore.

“What do you think has been attacking the town? Attacking you?” Scott asked quickly.

My answer was reflexive, “A mountain lion.”

“I know you don’t believe this mountain lion story for a second.” Scott told me.

“And you believe it’s a werewolf?” I asked tentively.

“We don’t think,” Stiles sighed heavily, “we know.”

I mulled that over for a bit. Scott and Stiles never seemed like they were off their rocker. They seemed like pretty sane teenage boys. I couldn’t find any reason for them to make this up or believe in it if it wasn’t real.

It made sense, I guessed. Hadn’t I seen a wolf in the video store? Wasn’t it wolf hair that I had seen at the hospital break in? Maybe this wasn’t so crazy. Maybe they weren’t clinically insane.

“Werewolves…” I muttered, “How do you guys know?”

Scott’s Adam’s apple quivered as Stiles snorted lightly, rubbing his feet in the dirt.

“How do you guys know?” I repeated with a little more force this time.

“Because,” Stiles said shortly, itching his head.

I was slowly becoming more aggravated. “So, did you bring me out to the middle of the woods to give me half-answers and a magical story time or are you going to get to the point some time soon?” I barked.

“It’s not really something you can explain.” Scott confessed, “It’s more of a show-and-tell.”

Stiles glanced nervously at Scott and me, “Are you sure?”

“She won’t believe me otherwise.” Scott said.

“I won’t believe what?” I asked, standing up.

Scott stepped back a few paces as Stiles crept towards me. He held out his hand and muttered, “Just in case.”

“Just in case what?” I breathed.

Scott took in a deep breath, his fists clenched at his side. His body began to tremble and his head stayed down. I opened my mouth to demand what was going on until I looked on in amazement. Right before my eyes, Scott seemed to be changing.

His dark hair slid down his face as his face slowly distorted into something else. Something not human. Scott unclenched his fists to reveal long, razor sharp nails. He peered up at me and my eyes connected with his now-golden eyes.

I stumbled backwards in astonishment only to have Stiles catch me. My hands clamped over my mouth to stifle my scream. We were in the middle of no where, no one would have heard it anyway.

“Oh, my God,” I stuttered, “Scott?”

So, werewolves did exist. And one of them was dating my cousin.

“Werewolves,” I shook my head in disbelief.

Scott stepped forward. “They’re real. I’m one of them.”

“Do you believe us now?” Stiles asked quietly, letting go of my hand. I hadn’t even noticed I’d grabbed it. I studied Scott’s new features, trying to get used to what was going on around me.

“This is real? You guys aren’t just fucking with me?” I asked, hoping I was just imagining things, that I would wake up from my coma and dad would take me to school instead of Stiles.

“This is real, Cassie.” Scott told me before his face returned back to normal. No more facial hair, no more glowing golden eyes.

I sat back down on the log in silence.

“Are you okay?” Stiles questioned softly. “I think you broke her, Scott.”

“It’s just a lot to process. My cousin is dating a werewolf. Werewolves exist. I’ve been attacked by one.” I threw my face into my trembling hands.

It was silent for a few moments before Scott broke it.

“We think you’ve been more than attacked.”

I jerked my head up, “What do you mean?”

“We think you’ve been bitten.” Stiles said. I stood up, crossing my arms and feeling annoyance radiate through me.

“If you say that one more time, I’m going to start punching you.” I announced, glaring at them both.

“What about a scratch?” Stiles tried.

Stiles,” I seethed. “Is that how it passes? Through a bite or a scratch?”

“Just a bite.” Scott confirmed. “Or you’re just born one.”

“You were bitten?” I questioned. Scott nodded. “Is it safe for you to be…intimate with Allison?” I asked awkwardly. I didn’t want her to become this. I’d see enough movies to know this wasn’t the greatest lifestyle.

Scott seemed unsure of this himself.

“As long as there’s no kinky business,” Stiles joked.

“When did this happen?” I asked Scott.

“About three months ago. It happened the night before school started.” Scott said, digging into his story, “Stiles and I went out because the police found half a body in the forest. The girl’s name was Laura Hale.”

“Hale?” I interrupted, “Like Derek Hale?”

The boys exchanged another look. “You know Derek?”

“Yes,” I said truthfully. If they were going to be honest, so was I.

“Wait,” Stiles stopped, confused, “What?”

“I met him my first day here. But, get on with your story.” I ushered.

Stiles eyes went wide, “No, we need to hear this one.”

I shook my head stubbornly, “I’ve been waiting too long for answers. After you.”

Stiles looked like he wanted to argue but Scott went on, “Well, Stiles and I got caught and split up. I got attacked in the forest by something. Turns out it was a werewolf. At first we thought it was Derek Hale—” Scott paused, waiting for that to sink in.

It felt like the world had gone silent to listen to those two words: Derek Hale. When they were mixed with words like ‘werewolf’ and ‘attack’ it made me feel sick again.

“I’m going to throw up.” I said simply. And I did. Stiles rubbed my back in what was supposed to be soothing but felt more awkward.

“You didn’t know?” Stiles asked.

Of course I didn’t know!” I snapped, throwing his hand off me, “I just found out werewolves existed two minutes ago and, apparently, I slept with one after barely knowing him for five minutes!” I collapsed down on the log again, holding onto myself tightly or else I would completely fall apart. “How could I possibly have known when everyone is keeping things from me?” I sobbed, “I must be such a joke, such a sad, sad joke.”

“You had sex with Derek?” Stiles’ words came out in a frantic rush. I nodded, unable to face them.

“It was about a month ago,” I told them feeling incredibly embarrassed, “The night at the school. You blamed Derek for that but he was with me the whole time. He saved me from whatever was really there.” I glanced up at Scott, feeling the tears run freely down my cheeks, “He saved me from you.”

“Me?” Scott asked, completely shocked.

“You were coming at me. I guessed you were werewolf-Scott but I didn’t know it then.” I told him, “Derek came in as some other huge wolf attacked me.”

“Attacked you?” Stiles cut in.

“It just pinned me down and sniffed me.” I clarified. “No biting. But, this one was different. It looked totally like a wolf, not like what Scott looks like.”

“The Alpha.” Scott said.

“The what?” I asked.

“He’s the leader of Scott’s pack.” Stiles informed me, “The one who bit Scott.”

“Who is he?” I looked at the boys quizzically, trying not to think about this new information about Derek.

“The Alpha.” Stiles said obviously but I could tell he was still shocked by my relationship with Derek.

“Obviously,” I snorted, “I mean, this Alpha’s a person, right? Like Scott or…Derek?” I swallowed back the nausea. “When he’s not a werewolf, he’s just some average Joe.”

They looked like they had never thought of this before.

“I guess,” Scott muttered, “But, we have no idea who he is.”

“Have you tried looking for him?” I questioned, “Tried figuring out who this monster is before he turns anyone else?” I stopped for a moment, “I can’t believe I’m having a conversation about werewolves with a teen wolf.” I sighed tiredly, rubbing my face. “Why is this happening?” I muttered.

Scott took a seat next to me, “I’ve been asking myself that everyday.” He told me quietly. Stiles crossed his arms, looking solemn.

“After Scott was bitten, we ran into Derek,” Stiles went on with the story, determined to fill me in. “As well as being an ass, he’s been a huge help. Derek was born a werewolf.”

“He never told me.” I whispered.

“It’s not the kind of thing you can casually slip into a conversation.” Scott told me, chuckling lightly, “Ever since I fell in love with Allison, all I’ve wanted to do is tell her. But, I can’t.”

“Why not?” I demanded, “She deserves to know! This isn’t the kind of intimate detail you leave out of a relationship!”

Scott didn’t respond.

“Scott,” I stood up, furious, “I spend one night with Derek and its hard enough to take. Can you even being to imagine what it will be like for Allison to hear this? You’ve known the entire time and she’ll feel like a huge joke, just like me.” I looked at Scott expectantly, “Do you think that if you keep this from her until the secret slips or you hurt somebody, Allison will forgive you?”

Scott stayed still as stone.

“Cassie,” Stiles said warningly. I knew I was getting to Scott but I didn’t care. Besides what Derek had done to me, this was my family he was messing with. I wanted him to pay.

“She won’t.” I hissed, “She’ll never look at you again the same. All you’ll ever be to her is a monster.”

That was all Scott needed to hear before he lost control. Stiles cried out my name as I was thrown to the floor. Scott growled in my ear, glaring down with his wolf eyes. A small gasp escaped my lips as Stiles tried to pull Scott off me. The crazed look in Scott’s eyes told me I was either seconds from death, or something much worse.

But, before Scott could do anything rash, he came to his senses. “You’re right.” Scott gulped, backing away horrified. His features slowly went back to normal. “I am a monster.”

I crawled away quickly in fear of another attack. Unconsciously, I checked my body for bites.

“Scott,” Stiles gasped, glancing at his best friend in astonishment.

“I’m so sorry,” Scott muttered, turning his face away in shame. “I lost control.”

“What if you lose control around Allison?” I whispered, straightening myself out.

“I’d be dead.” Scott answered simply.

“You’d kill yourself?” I asked in horror.

“No,” Stiles cut in, “Your family would.”

I brushed a stray piece of my golden brown hair out of my face. “What did you just say?” I glared hatefully at the two. “My family isn’t murderers! How dare you make such accusations!”

I tried storming off further into the forest, wanting to be as far away from these two as possible. Scott was the killer. He was the thing that went bump in the night, the creature nightmares were made of. My parents were humanitarians. Allison’s were great people, too.

“Cassie,” Stiles grabbed my arm before I could get too far, “We need to talk about this!”

“We don’t need to talk about anything.” I spat. “You kidnap me and throw all this insane shit on me and then accuse my family of murder!” I laughed coldly.

“We know how this sounds.” Scott said hurriedly, “But, you need to know the whole story.”

“And to be fair,” Stiles piped in quietly, “We’re accusing them of murder they haven’t committed yet…” I ignored Stiles.

I whirled around in anger. “Enlighten me. You’ve never even met my parents. How could you possibly call them murderers?”

“Your parents are hunters.” Stiles blurted, “Your whole family is.”

I furrowed my brows, “My parents have never been hunting.”

“Not that kind of hunting.” Scott half-glanced at Stiles, “They hunt…werewolves.”

“This is too much,” I held my hands up in surrender; “I think I would have preferred to stay in the dark.” I could feel a lump rising painfully in my throat. I was feeling too overwhelmed.

“I know this is hard to take in.” Scott tried to comfort me, “Believe me, I wish I could un-know everything I’ve learned in the last few weeks, but I can’t. Your parents are hunters, so are Allison’s.”

I let out a shaky breath, “Why are you telling me this?”

“You wanted to know.” Stiles reminded me.

“Well, I was wrong.” I snapped. “Does Allison know?”

“She doesn’t know anything.” Scott answered, “And I want to keep it that way.” Suddenly, I was on board with keeping her in the dark. I didn’t want her to carry this burden. Our parents had been lying to us for years. All the moving, the whole ‘family business’ spiel that somehow justified destroying our childhood. Who knew the family business was hunting werewolves.

Well, apparently Scott and Stiles.

“What happens now?” I asked numbly. For a few moments all we could hear was the rushing of the wind in the trees and the faint murmur of hidden insects.

“We live our lives.” Scott muttered, “We go on, pretending we’re normal in a world that’s far from it.”

I shook my head, “I can’t pretend I don’t know this. I can’t lie to Allison.”

“You have to.” Stiles told me. I bit my lip in agitation.

“Are those all the secrets you have or are you going to tell me vampires are real, too?” I asked haughtily.

“Not that we’re aware of.” Stiles said before getting smacked (yet again) by Scott.

“We didn’t tell you this because you wanted to know.” Scott confessed, suddenly looking guilty and distraught, “We did it because we think you need to know.” The boys exchanged a longer more meaningful look. This look was unsettling and secretive, like they knew something I didn’t (again).

“What?” My voice broke, terrified by what they could possibly have let to say that would unnerve me anymore than I already was.

“You have eyesight like Scott, you can see in the dark as clear as day. You can smell things that you shouldn’t be able to smell.” Stiles paused, looking unsettled, “You haven’t been bit but there’s got to be something else.”

“Maybe it’s just the hunters’ blood in me.” I said almost hopefully.

“Hunters don’t have special powers.” Scott shook his head. “They just train all their lives to be what they are.”

“Then what is it?” I asked, terrified. If they didn’t have all the answers, who would?

Stiles thought hard, glancing up at the sky in concentration. Scott frowned at his friend.

“Guys, you’re freaking me out.” I muttered, “If this is some sort of joke—”

Stiles gasped all of the sudden, staring at me in utter horror. I felt my heart stop at the fear in his eyes. “S-Stiles, what is it?”

“You haven’t been feeling well lately?” Stiles questioned. I shook my head quickly.

“Every time I get a whiff of something repugnant I puke and no matter how much sleep I get, I always feel tired.” I informed them quickly. “I spent the entire weekend sleeping.”

“Oh, my god,” Stiles’ brown eyes were wide, “Holy shit.

“Stiles,” Scott begged, “You’re freaking us out! What do you know?”

Stiles placed his hands tentively on my shoulders, “This is going to sound really, really weird, but, Cassie—” He pursed his lips before going on, “When was the last time you had your…period?”
♠ ♠ ♠
OMG. First ten minutes of Teen Wolf are now available for me to watch over and over and over again. How am I supposed to pass my finals with that floating around?

Oh, the price I pay to see adorable Stiles and sexy Derek...

I feel like this chapter is kind of crazy and rambly but if you found out werewolves existed or were trying to explain you were one, would you have that perfectly planned out? Scott and Stiles definitely wouldn't...tehe.

Told you I was back. I bet you guys didn't believe me. That hurts. But, if you subscribe and comment, I'll try to get over it (;