Sequel: The Code
Status: 7/22: Complete! Read final AN and check out the sequel page! (:

All That Glitters Is Silver

The Vet.

“You’re gonna be okay, Cassie.” Stiles promised kindly, smiling so innocently it was almost believable. “Scott’s boss can help us.”

“Have you ever talked to him before?” I asked quietly, watching the trees fly by as we made our way to the animal clinic. Scott was waiting for us there, briefing the vet on what was going on.

“Well,” Stiles chuckled evasively, “Not really…”

I glanced over at him suspiciously, “What does ‘not really’ mean exactly?”

“It means no,” Stiles said truthfully, “But I thought it would make you feel better if I lied.”

“You’re a terrible liar.” I commented, sitting up straighter as we pulled into the tiny parking lot.

“You’re gonna be okay, Cassie.” Stiles said again, “Scott’s—”

“—boss can help us.” I grumbled, “I heard you the first thousand times.”

Stiles huffed as he turned off the ignition. We hopped out of the car in silence and made our way inside the brick building. The sign on the door read ‘closed’ but Stiles pushed right past it, holding open the door for me.

I thanked him as he closed the door behind us. A small ding echoed hauntingly through the dimly lit lobby. I glanced around the small waiting room. There was a fake tree in the corner and papers neatly filed on the desk. It was a clean place. That made me feel a tiny bit better about this. At least I wouldn’t catch hepatitis or something.

“Stiles?” Scott’s voice called from the back. “Cassie?”

“We’re here.” Stiles answered back, glancing at me. “Come on.” And he made his way behind the counter. I followed quickly.

We passed through a skinny hall that was covered in pictures of animals. We emptied out into the examination room. It smelled clean. Scott or his boss must have cleaned everything just for me.

There was some sort of machine next to the steel table. Someone had laid down a piece of fabric so I wouldn’t have to lie on the cold, bare metal. How thoughtful.

A stocky, African-American man stood next to the equipment. “Hello, Cassie. I’m Doctor Deaton.” He said kindly.

“Hi,” I muttered quietly, eying the sterile room with precaution. My life was seriously messed up.

“Why don’t you lie down on the table,” Dr. Deaton gestured to the linen-clad metal, “And we’ll get started.”

Scott helped me up effortlessly onto the table. When he wasn’t pretending to be normal, it was strange how much stronger and powerful he was. It was beyond me how I never really noticed how different Derek was until now. How could I have been so oblivious?

Dr. Deaton lifted up my shirt gently as Stiles cleared his throat uncomfortably. Scott rolled his eyes at his best friend and patted him on the chest. Dr. Deaton chuckled lightly under his breath.

“I’m going to put this jelly on your stomach. It’s going to be cold, just to warn you.” The vet announced. I nodded, bracing myself for the impact. And it was extremely cold.

The whole ten seconds of silence it took for the vet to smear the jelly on my stomach was killing Stiles who had never been quiet for so long in his life.

He scratched his neck and questioned, “Do you do this kind of thing often?”

Scott leaned against a cabinet, folding his arms in his chest, watching the vet intently.

Dr. Deaton smiled lightly, “Working with mythical creatures or moonlighting as a sonographer?”

Stiles opened his mouth twice before speaking, “Both?”

Dr. Deaton placed the transducer probe on my stomach, moving it around as he peered at the screen. “When I have to.” He answered simply.

“Vague.” Stiles commented. “I don’t suppose you wanna elaborate.”

The vet didn’t seem to be listening. He furrowed his dark brows and leaned in closer to the screen. I was starting to feel nauseas. What was he looking at?

“Doc?” Scott questioned, moving in closer.

The vet stood up straight and looked back at me, “How far along are you again?”

My mouth felt dry, “About five weeks.”

Dr. Deaton mulled that over, glancing back at the screen before removing the probe. He placed his warm hand on my stomach, feeling around.

My heart rate picked up frantically. I was too terrified to speak. For once I was glad Stiles was there.

“What’s wrong?” Stiles asked quickly, “What are you doing?”

The vet pursed his lips in deep concentration. I propped myself on my elbows, staring up at him in fear. “Dr. Deaton…?”

“Are you sure you’re only five weeks?” He finally spoke. I nodded fervently.

“It was the night of the attack at the school.” I answered.

“Which was five weeks ago.” Scott agreed. “Why?”

“Because according to my medical training and this ultrasound, Cassie is more like ten weeks.” He confessed, turning around to show us on the screen, replaying the video he had just taken.

I gasped despite myself, placing one hand on my mouth and another on my stomach. Maybe it was my denial or complete ignorance but now I could feel the small bump on my stomach. It was barely noticeable to the naked eye but I could feel it. My chest seemed to have grown a full cup size in the past few seconds with this realization.

Stiles and Scott pushed their way forward, gaping at the screen as the vet explained.

“See here,” He pointed at some blob that I presumed was supposed to be my baby. “It’s little finger nails are growing in. There you can see it’s hair starting to come in,” The vet pointed at something else but all I could process was that he had told me I was about five weeks further along then I really was.

Ten weeks?” I finally stressed, my eyes wide and frozen. My hands gripped my hair tightly; about to rip out a few chunks before Scott grabbed them. He easily disarmed me.

“What does this mean?” Stiles begged the question.

“I wish I knew.” Dr. Deaton sighed, “I’ve never seen anything like this before and I’m not sure there is anyone who can help us. There hasn’t been too much interaction between humans and wolves. Werewolves usually keep to themselves. As far as I know, this kind of cross-breeding shouldn’t be possible.” He shook his head, utterly confounded.

“Ha!” Stiles pointed out, “Told you.”

I gaped at Stiles in disbelief. Scott simply glared at his friend.

“Yes, well,” The vet went on, looking at Stiles strangely, “It appears this is obviously an abnormally accelerated pregnancy.”

Stiles scoffed.

“And we’ll need to keep an extremely close eye on you.” The vet continued, directing his attention toward me, “Have you had any strange symptoms?”

“Like sleeping for long periods of time and passing out at school and going to the hospital?” I asked, still feeling dazed.

The vet nodded.

“Then, yes. I’ve had lots of abnormal symptoms. I’m also five weeks further along then I should be.” I could feel my face heating up in displaced anger. “I’d call that an abnormal symptom.”

“She can also smell things only Scott can.” Stiles piped up, “And her vision is perfect.”

My hand was grinding the hell out of Scott’s but he didn’t seem to notice.

The vet nodded again, rubbing his face, “I’d say this pregnancy is going at a rate of about two weeks per week. Give or take. And your body is not made to handle a werewolf pregnancy. You’re not strong enough or built for this. When werewolves get pregnant, it’s basically a normal pregnancy. But this—” He gestured toward the screen, “this is something else entirely.”

I gulped, feeling unwanted tears stream down my face.

“Cassie,” Stiles looked alarmed, “Are you okay?”

I wanted to reach out and throttle him. “No, you idiot. I’m not okay.” I spat.

Stiles backed up, knowing he was very close to being murdered.

“I’d say your mood and behavior are erratic as well.” Dr. Deaton commented, making his way to his cabinet. He opened it up with a key from his chain and revealed dozens of kinds of medicines. His hands felt through the bottles until he found what he wanted. The vet opened a drawer and pulled out a syringe.

I felt my body clam up. I hated needles.

“These are supplements that should help make up for the lack of chemicals and enzymes running through your veins. It appears that the baby is giving you some werewolf abilities—hence the sense of smell and impeccable eyesight. These should help strengthen you so you don’t keep collapsing. The baby is virtually sucking the life out of you to grow.” He told me plainly. At least he wasn’t trying to sugar coat this.

I nodded, not knowing what else to do. There were a lot of bottles in his hands. And the syringe was eying me tauntingly.

“I think it’s safe to say that this baby is no ordinary baby.” The vet chuckled lightly despite himself, “its part wolf. Maybe even more human because its mother is merely human.”

Merely?” Stiles repeated with a sort of indignation. The vet ignored him again.

“I’m going to have to inject some proteins directly into your bloodstream.” He held up the syringe. “It will only hurt just a bit but unfortunately this will have to be a weekly thing.”

I winced, thinking of the amount of needles I would have to endure for this child.

“For someone who doesn’t know much about hybrid babies, you seem to know a lot about hybrid babies.” Stiles muttered, squinting at the vet.

“It’s my job to care for the supernatural.” Dr. Deaton explained, holding out my right arm and rubbing his thumb gently into the crevice of my elbow. Without warning, he punctured the skin and I yelped, ripping my free fingernails into Scott’s bare arm. He looked at me sympathetically, not minding this damage. As soon as my hand released him, the skin healed over. It was incredible.

“Done.” The vet said as he pulled the needle out and disposing it. “You’re a very brave girl, Cassie.”

I didn’t feel brave. I felt like running to my parents and hiding away. My parents...

“My parents.” I muttered painfully, “What the hell am I supposed to do with my parents?” I begged.

Stiles and Scott exchanged a meaningful look. Dr. Deaton breathed in deeply.

“I’m not sure your parents are the ones you should be worrying about.” He answered darkly. I looked at him quizzically.

“The Alpha.” It wasn’t a question that Scott posed.

“Amongst other things.” The vet nodded.

Other things?” Stiles interjected.

“Other wolves, hunters, creatures.” The vet confirmed, “There are other things in this world besides what Beacon Hills holds.”

That was daunting in it of itself. It was hard enough to grasp what was going on in Beacon Hills. I didn’t even wasn’t to think about what was happening just one town over. How many places had I lived in? Ten? Fifteen? And every single place held a horror of its own. Was it only werewolves or were there other things out there?

I shuddered to think of the possibilities.

Stiles gulped, wishing he hadn’t asked. The nightmares we had just earned from that simple question….

“So, what are we supposed to do?” Scott finally broke the strained silence.

Dr. Deaton shrugged, “Act as normal as you can.” (Stiles gave him an exasperated look) “Keep her away from the Alpha. Find Derek and tell him. Lie to your parents—”

“Tell Derek?” Scott asked fearfully.

“He’s the father, right?” The vet raised one of his bushy brows, “He needs to know so he can protect Cassie. You’re going to need all the help you can get.” He eyed us expectantly, “An inexperienced bitten-wolf and a nerdy lycaon junkie aren’t going to hold much of a fire against the Alpha or the Argents or anything for that matter. You three can’t do this on your own.”

“What about you?” Stiles pointed out, “You’re helping us.”

“I’m just a vet.” Dr. Deaton said, turning our direction to the vast amount of pills I had to take. “I’m estimating your due date to be in about ten weeks if it keeps going at this rate. I’m not even sure I can help you make it to then but I’ll try my hardest. Take seven of these twice a day,” He showed me the various pills of different colors and shapes.

The vet looked at me with a serious expression, “Are you sure you want to do this?” He asked with obvious concern, “This is not simple matter. This could kill you, Cassie. I want you to understand what the next ten weeks will entail. A lot of people will be out to hurt you and this baby.

“Your family will be one of them, Cassie. They kill before they think. There are much more dangerous hunters then the ones in Beacon Hills and if the rumors are true, they’re on their way here now. I’m warning you now because it’s my job to keep the balance and peace between everyone. This could change everything.” The vet said solemnly.

I could tell he wanted me to get rid of this baby. But, something was stopping me from allowing him.

Shouldn’t Derek get a say before I did this?

Of course he should. He was the father.

But, I didn’t want to face Derek. That was the problem. I was too much of a coward. But, we needed his help if what Dr. Deaton was saying was true. And he had no reason to lie.

“I thought you were just a vet.” Scott muttered suddenly. Dr. Deaton smiled lightly as he put the bottles in my bag, handing it over to Stiles.

“I will see you the same time next week.” He told me, “Take your pills and think about what I’ve said.” The vet nodded to us before turning on his heels and disappearing into his office.

We stood there in the fading light in silence, burdened by all this new information and terror. Who the hell was Dr. Deaton really?

“So,” Stiles cleared his throat awkwardly, “What now?”

It seemed we all took in a collective breath, knowing the answer.

“We tell Derek.” Scott said regretfully.
♠ ♠ ♠
Gahhhh!
Sorry for the delay. No Derek in this chapter but he isn't far away (;
I typed up some of this yesterday and it got deleted and I was too suicidal to fix it until today. Don't you just want to destroy the world when you lose a chapter?
Anyway, the vet is an interesting character, don't you think? Tehe.
Don't be a silent reader! Comment, comment, comment!
And subscribe and rec. I'm greedy that way.
By the way, did any of you know the vet's name was not The Vet? Because I don't remember them saying his name once in the show. I think someone called him Alan in the last episode (spoiler alert if you didn't know he was still in the show, I guess...). He was always "Scott's Boss" or "The Vet". I looked it up on Wikipedia and it said his name was Dr. Deaton. Since Wikipedia never lies, I used it in this. Just a little aside in case you were wondering where I got that name. Which I'm sure you weren't.
Oh, and HOLY SHIT THIS STORY HAS 108 SUBSCRIBERS!!!! Seriously, you guys are awesome sauce. (:
Thanks for reading!