Sequel: The Code
Status: 7/22: Complete! Read final AN and check out the sequel page! (:

All That Glitters Is Silver

Ten Minutes Alone.

Derek didn’t seem to have a response. His face went blank as Scott decided it was fairly safe to let him up.

No one spoke again for a few moments. Stiles looked on the verge of a heart attack. I fell back onto the dusty crate, feeling exhaustion take over again.

I needed to take those pills Dr. Deaton had given me. I could feel myself losing energy just sitting still.

“Cassie?” Scott’s worried voice echoed in my mind. “Cassie? Are you okay?”

My eye lids were becoming heavy. It was just like what happened at school a few days ago. I felt myself tip over. Someone caught me before I hit the floor.

Derek’s scent overpowered my nose: the smell of leather and aftershave. It was inviting and warm.

“Cassie?” Derek asked worriedly. I found my footing, the feeling of falling unconscious had vanished. I looked at him questioningly.

“I almost just passed out.” I frowned.

“So, why didn’t you?” Stiles asked suspiciously. I could practically see the gears turning in his mind, trying to figure this out.

“I don’t know.” I replied honestly. Derek dropped his arms quickly, sauntering backwards, pretending like he hadn’t just saved me. He regained his stoic composure almost at once.

“Awesome.” Stiles muttered exasperatedly, “Another unexplained side effect of you two procreating!” He pointed between Derek and me.

“I need to talk to Cassie.” Derek decided grudgingly. When Scott and Stiles didn’t move, he added, “alone.”

“Oh!” Stiles exclaimed like he had never heard of people needing to speak alone before. “Right. Gotcha.”

“And that means you need to get into your crappy jeep and drive away.” Derek told them.

“But—” Scott began to argue.

“Alone means you need to be far enough away not to eavesdrop.” Derek scowled menacingly. Stiles gulped dramatically, patting Scott’s chest.

“Let’s go, buddy, before he decides against letting us live.” He whispered frantically. Scott didn’t seem to want to leave but saw no other alternative.

“We’ll be back in ten minutes.” He promised, noting the weary look on my face. “And if you hurt her, there’s a whole family of Argents just waiting to get their hands on you.” Scott threatened Derek.

Derek rolled his eyes, waiting for Scott and Stiles to disappear. With one last fleeting look, they vanished behind the metal door. Derek and I stood awkwardly, quite a few feet apart, waiting for the jeep’s engine to die away.

Even when all that was between us was dead silence, Derek still refused to talk. It was only when I finally glanced up at him I realized he was struggling to find the words to say.

“How—”

“I don’t know how it happened.” I mumbled, knowing what he was trying to say.

“Actually,” Derek said, “I was trying to ask you how you were.”

I peered up at him curiously, not expecting him to be so…caring? Was that the word? Five minutes ago he had been beating Scott bloody and now he was questioning my well-being. Talk about emotional whiplash.

“I don’t know the answer to that either.” I finally answered, heaving a heavy sigh.

More silence.

“Sorry.” He muttered so quietly I almost didn’t catch it.

I frowned, standing up straighter, “For?”

A cold, mirthless laugh fell from his thin lips. “Where do I start?”

“The beginning is always a good place.” I joked mildly. That caused him to smirk lightly for a fleeting moment.

“You’re taking this surprisingly well.” He commented casually.

“I guess I’m well-adjusted.” I muttered, “I could say the same for you.”

“I’m a werewolf. You’d be hard pressed to find something that surprises me.”

I snorted softly, glad that he wasn’t yelling at me or breaking stuff. I enjoyed this approach much better.

“You’re a werewolf.” I echoed mechanically.

Derek scrutinized my face, most likely waiting for me to break apart. “How much did Scott tell you?”

“Most likely the most rudimentary stuff.” I answered, crossing my arms. “You wanna fill in the blanks?”

He pursed his lips, “What do you know?”

“You’re a werewolf. Scott’s a werewolf. I’m not a werewolf. I’m pregnant with some werewolf hybrid like a cliché teen fiction character. My parents are werewolf hunters—Scratch that, my entire family is. Werewolves are real and some ‘Alpha’ is probably going to come after to me for God knows why.” I threw my head back, chortling lightly in disgust as I tried to get my eyes to stop watering. “And this is just some fucked up pregnancy to go on top of my fucked up life—” I couldn’t go on. My throat choked up painfully, silencing me. I placed my head in my shaky hands, wishing Derek would go away so I could finally have a good cry.

I gasped in a deep breath as warm arms engulfed me. Derek allowed me to sob into his jacket, not uttering a word. He simply held me as I cried which was probably the only thing he could have done at the moment. It was like I was trapped in some horrifying nightmare. Sobs wracked my tiny frame as I managed to stifle a few screams.

“Cassie,” Derek whispered, “Shh, you’re okay. I’ve got you.”

I sniffled, trying to regain my composure, thoroughly embarrassed I had just snotted all over Derek. “I-I’m sorry.” I croaked, pushing myself away.

But, he did the last thing I would have ever expected Derek to do. He held me tighter against his body, rubbing my back soothingly until I could fully end my mental break down. Even once I held pulled myself together, he held on and I didn’t complain.

It was with deep regret that I pulled away. We still needed to talk.

“Thanks.” I said placidly. He shrugged nonchalantly. Scott and Stiles would probably be back any second.

“I figured a hug is probably the least I could do.” He said honestly. My lips curled into a half smile.

“Probably.”

“Obviously, you’re not okay.” Derek started, “But, how—how’s the—it?” It was kind of adorable the way he stuttered painfully about the baby.

“Healthy as far as I know.” I said evasively.

Derek eyed me suspiciously. “Care to elaborate?”

“Technically, I’m five weeks.” I muttered tightly. He waited impatiently for me to go on. “But, according to Dr. Deaton, the baby’s…ten weeks.” I said the last part as quickly and quietly as I could.

Derek looked like he hadn’t quite caught what I said or didn’t believe his ears. “What?”

“I have to take these pills like ten times a day and get some shots. I have to see Deaton every week.” I went on briskly.

He nodded, “Okay, I got that. But, what was the first thing?”

“I’m five weeks?” I asked hopefully, knowing full well what he really wanted clarified.

“No, Cassie,” He warned, “After that.”

“Uhm—” My mouth felt suddenly dry, “I’m ten weeks along.”

He seemed to be listening for something. Maybe to see if I was lying. After a few seconds he gawked from my nervous face to my stomach. “What?

“Please don’t make me say it again.” I murmured desperately.

“Cassie!” Derek cried, his face locked in complete shock. “How can you possibly be ten weeks along if it’s mine?”

“Please don’t start that again.” I begged, feeling my eyes burn again, “Deaton said it’s a side effect of not being a wolf. My body’s not equipped to handle this so it’s accelerating the process or something…” I finished in a small voice as Derek became even more disgruntled.

“Or something?” He asked incredulously, “Cassie, this is serious! Your body’s not equipped to handle this, it could kill you!”

“So everyone keeps saying.” I groused.

“If everyone’s telling you, you have to listen, Cassie!” Derek cried, “You need to stop this, you have to—”

“Get rid of it?” I finished for him, water spilling from my eyes at the thought. He wanted me to kill our child? His child? “No.” I said defiantly. “I won’t do it.”

“Don’t be stubborn.” Derek said fiercely, “This is serious, Cassie. You could die!”

Could.” I pointed out. “Not will.”

“Is it really worth waiting to find out?” He demanded, “Is this really worth killing yourself over?”

I furrowed my brows in bewilderment. Was he asking me to kill the baby for him or because of him?

I searched his face, seeing that man that I had slept with weeks ago. His electrifying eyes pierced into me, bright and desperate. Derek willed me to give in, to do what he wanted. But, it wasn’t that easy.

“Yes,” I breathed, “Yes it is.”

Derek shook his head, the muscles in his jaw rippled from clenching tightly. “Why?” He begged softly.

“Because,” I answered, “I care about you.”

It was cliché and stupid. But, it was true.

“Because it’s worth it,” I went on, “Even if you don’t think you’re worth it, you are. Living in solitude, cut off from the world, what kind of life is that?”

“The kind of life a monster lives.” He angrily spat, “The kind of life you’ll be forced to live if you go through with this! Your family—they won’t be so understanding. I’m the thing you’ll be trained to hunt and kill in a few years time. If you survive this—this pregnancy, they could have to kill you or the baby! Don’t you see that you have so much to lose here, Cassie? Don’t be so stupid and naive! There is no happily ever after for me, for us! This is not some cute fairy tale—this is life or death, this is the real world! The harsh reality is we can’t be together, you can’t have this baby.”

I stood there stunned, unsure how to feel. On one hand, he was worried for my safety, for my life. On the other, he was fully rejecting me, telling me to leave and not let the door hit me on the way out.

I willed myself not to break down again because I wasn’t so sure he’d be as kind and sensitive this time around. Stiles’ jeep was making its way back down the gravel path. I glanced out the window, seeing them speed to us like they were being chased by something.

I turned back to face Derek’s expectant face. It was begging me to see reason.

“I’m having this baby, Derek.” I said defiantly, “Help me or don’t. That’s up to you.”

Derek looked at me with so much pain in his eyes that I almost wanted to take it back.

But, I didn’t. I held my ground and waited.

He let out a deep, tired breath and said, “You’re a child, you know that, right?”

I didn’t respond. His hungry eyes rummaged my face, looking for any doubts.

I had none. This was a stupid decision. I knew that. But, I wasn’t taking it back.

“Okay,” He finally broke, “I’ll help.”

My lips grew into a full grin that caused him to roll his eyes.

“I don’t know what you’re so satisfied with.” He muttered, fighting a smile of his own, “This is a terrible idea.”

Without warning, I lifted onto my tippy toes and pecked my lips against his quickly before stepping back. Derek seemed stunned for a moment.

“Thank you,” I told me, “For everything.”

“I’m the reason we’re in this mess.” He shrugged (though his cheeks were suspiciously redder than usual), “I’m just doing my job.”

I nodded, biting back my smug smile, feeling victorious. The boys had arrived in front of the warehouse. Our ten minutes were up.

“I gotta go,” I gestured to the jeep, “Before they actually do something stupid like call my dad.”

Something flashed in Derek’s eyes but he didn’t speak. I turned around to grab the door handle when Derek whipped me around, planting his lips on mine. We stood there for a few moments, embracing and kissing before Stiles honked impatiently.

I was breathing pretty heavily while Derek seemed unfazed. He placed his forehead against mine, “Be safe, Cassie. We’ll figure this out.”

I nodded again, “I know.”

He placed his lips upon my forehead lightly before turning around, disappearing before my eyes.

Suddenly, keeping this baby didn’t seem like such a bad thing after all.
♠ ♠ ♠
I wasn't sure about this chapter at first, but now I kind of adore it (:
Derek is so...perfect haha
Comment, sub, and rec!
It makes me a happy writer.
Besides, I stayed up until two in the morning writing this and my Hunger Games FF.
Oh, and if you didn't know, The Love Will Be Your Downfall is back on! New chapter posted yesterday (I think). (: