Vice Versa

023.

Brian opened his eyes in the twinkling sunlight that shone through the twisting curtains. He could feel the breeze blowing gently on his back. His eyes zeroed into a blonde head resting on the pillow. He wasn’t in the spare room; however he was in his own bed. He frowned, getting up. His body felt bigger and heavier. He looked down to see familiar tattoos weaving up familiar arms. He gave a yell of joy. He was in his body again!

The other side of the bed shifted and Brian turned his head to see Michelle waking up with a confused expression. Never before had he ever saw her more beautiful. He was himself again. No lies, no hassle, no nothing. He could hug and kiss his wife and tell her that he loved her. He lunged at her and gave her a deep kiss. He could feel her melting beneath him. Her arms wrapped around his neck, pulling him close.

“What have gotten into you?” Michelle said with a hint of a smile after she pulled away.

“A better way to word it is what had gotten into me. I’m myself. I remember everything! Everything is right!” Brian was basically shouting for joy.

“You remember everything now?”

“Yeah! I don’t know why, but I do. I remember all of the days I spent with you. I remember my life and things in between. I even remember how to play guitar.”

“Really?” Her brown eyes were searching his for any sign of honesty.

“Yup! I can show you soon. But first, I have to see Alice. But I will be back. And you better be naked.” He said huskily, tugging at the oversized shirt that Michelle had slept in. “I love you.” He added for good measure.

He yanked himself from the bed and ran down the hallway before crashing into Alice. They tumbled to the ground in a mess of limbs and hair. He separated to see a very radiant Alice.

“I’m me again! Can’t you believe it? I’m myself! And my period is over!” she squealed, untangling herself from Brian.

“Oh yeah, Jimmy told me about the period thing.”

"How does he even know that?”

“Dunno. Don’t ask.” Brian picked himself up from the ground. “Now, I can finally do some things. Today, will be a new day. Today, I will do things that I haven’t done for a long time… and other stuff.”

With that small speech, he jogged downstairs, grabbed his cigarettes, found his guitar and sped out to the back porch. Alice followed him with a soft smile. After he lit a smoke, he gave a sigh of contentment, the white smoke billowing out from his thin lips.

“I can’t wait to tell Jimmy. Where’s Jimmy?” Brian said. Alice gasped, remembering their feline friend.

“I don’t know where he is…”

“Find him!”

Alice jogged back inside. She could see no sign of Tholomew in the living room. She turned in the hallway to peek in each bedroom and bathroom in the house. No sign. Slightly worried, she called for Brian. He appeared behind Alice.

“Where is he?”

“I don’t know… it’s like he just disappeared.” She murmured in response. Brian dragged her back to the kitchen for another look around. The cat was known to hide, and he was good at it. Alice paused mid search, noticing a folded piece of paper resting on the marble bench. She grabbed it and opened it. It was a letter.

“Brian?” she caught his attention. He picked himself up from the floor and sauntered to Alice, looking over her shoulder at the note. He felt so tall. He was still adjusting to his old body size. He recognised the handwriting as it was Jimmy’s. They scanned it with their eyes.

Dear Brian and Alice (and maybe Zacky)

Surprise!

You’re back in your bodies! I guess you figured it out in the end, even if you weren’t totally aware of it.

You notice I’m not around anymore? Well I was given a second chance, a very small second chance. I’m only allowed to exist to serve a purpose. And this was the purpose. And I already have completed it. So I have to go. You know I wish I could be here longer. But it is simply not my time anymore. It’s something about the natural order of life or some shit. Whatever.

I will miss you guys. And Zacky, Matt, Johnny and everyone. I want you to let them know that I am okay. I know it will hurt, but it will get better. I promise you. And you have Arin, who I like already. I saw him play and I know he can make it.


Brian chuckled sorrowfully. He could imagine Jimmy’s face while writing this. His heart wrenched already from his departure. But he had to read on to catch up with Alice’s rapidly flicking eyes.

Anyway, just remember I will be always around. In your heart or whatever you like to believe. I know this is some fucking corny shit. But it’s true.

I love you, and live it. Just act like you’re gonna die in a few days and you got so fucking many things to do. Because, believe me, I have been there.

I’m glad to help.

Love from Jimmy.


Brian already had tears bordering around his eyes. He lost him once, and now he lost him for a second time. He already could feel the empty hole inside him where his best friend once held. He was infinitely glad that Jimmy was here again, so he could spend a little more time with him. But seeing him again only made him yearn for him even more than he ever had in his life. What would he do now, that Jimmy was gone? He may be a cat this time, but from being just Jimmy was always more than good enough.

Suddenly, he was furious at Jimmy for leaving him once again. How could he just stroll back in with a use before date? It wasn’t fair that Brian had to suffer again. He stood there, frowning angrily at the letter that was in Alice’s hand.

Alice was rather disappointed and sorrowful that one of her new friends, especially one that had become close to her and wriggled into her heart, had to leave. She never had met anyone like him and she doubted that she would again. She glanced to Brian to see that he was in a much worse shape than she was.

She reached out to rub his back soothingly before pulling him in a tight hug. He clung to Alice, not caring that she was much smaller than he was. He was sniffling, making her shirt wet. He lifted his head to chuckle darkly. Even they were now in their own bodies, they still acted like they were in the opposite gender. The front door squeaked open and they heard footsteps leading up to them.

“Hey I have some problems regarding the tour – what’s wrong?” Zacky’s voice broke their embrace. Zacky finally took sight of Brian’s face and he never had seen him as badly since Jimmy’s death two years ago. But, as he was unsuspecting of the fact that they had returned to their own bodies, he figured that there was something wrong with Alice.

“What’s up Alice?” Zacky was truly concerned, since he and Alice had grown close in the few weeks they had known each other.

“No, it’s me. It’s Brian. We swapped back. I can prove it.”

“Well, seems like the tour issue is resolved. Now, tell me what’s wrong? Where’s Jimmy? He’s always around.” He flicked his eyes around the kitchen and living room. Alice stared at him grimly, holding out the letter to him. Zacky grabbed it off her hands, his features carrying an expression of confusion. As he read the letter, the confusion soon morphed to joy then shock, anger and then tearful. He dropped the letter.

“Fuck.” Was the only thing he said.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so. The past three weeks were a whirlwind of family, friends in another country, so like I forewarned you in the last chapter, wasn't able to update. I apologise for the inconivence. Anyways, here you go!

Comments/subs = <3