Vice Versa

025.

“You knock.” Brian nudged Alice before shoving her to the doorbell. She glared at him before staring back at the familiar door. There was the same cramped porch with the pentagram mat and the potted plants. The same scent of herbs and incense wafted from the door. But the one thing that was totally missing from this porch was the brush of fur in between their legs. They gulped, remembering Jimmy’s departure.

“Knock.” Brian repeated. Alice relented, only after giving an exaggerated sigh. She set her fist against the door, ready to knock. The door swung open before she could even begin knocking. Artemis was beaming behind the doorframe.

“Hello, you two! You made it!” She warmly ushered the two guests in her house. “Come in! Come in!” Once they were inside, staring at the bright interior, they were asked if they wanted tea. Alice accepted however Brian declined. They were pushed into her kitchen and ‘dining room’. The dining room only consisted of couches and a coffee table, the very same ones where Brian and Alice learnt of their predicament.

They settled back down on the couch. Not too long after, Alice was served a steaming teapot and a teacup and saucer. She poured herself some and glanced back up to Artemis.

“Now I see you figured it out.” Artemis smiled. The two guests nodded, not even saying a word. Artemis’s excited features softened. “You miss Tholomew.”

“More than you ever know.” Brian said for the first time since they entered her house. “But I’m glad he was back for a little bit.”

Artemis nodded, comprehending him. “This journey was a tiring one, I know. Working out on where you stand and how you manage with the people involved. Although it is a perfect opportunity of self-discovery.”

“Yeah, I learnt that there is more to the world that I thought. I thought I had seen it all, been there all. “ Alice murmured in her teacup before sipping. She heard nothing from the left of her where Brian sat. She looked at him to find him silent.

“The only other tests like this were when Jimmy died and when my parents split. I… I wanted to be someone else for a little while, you know. See what it was like to be another person than me. A lot of things were focused on me, you know. It was great being someone else. I liked it even though things went really wrong.” He finally said. “But… You know what; it feels good being me again.”

Alice turned and stared at him. “I thought-“

“I’m not exactly good with this feeling shit.”

“Right.” Alice raised her eyebrow. She noticed that Brian was a different man from the last time they were here. She totally amounted that to the body swap. Nothing was going to be the same, but she rather liked it. At first, she was afraid of change. But she now embraced it. This was the time of change.

They both simultaneously looked at Artemis. She used to wear a mysterious smile and told vague quotes the last time. But now, she was wearing the same smile, but it wasn’t mysterious anymore. Everything she had said before never had made more sense than ever in their lives. Something about her pensive gaze told them that she was proud of them.

“Thank you.” Alice piped up. She had finished her tea, so she set it back down to the table. Artemis inclined her head in response, dismissing it. The witch turned her head to Brian.

"Michelle is a good strong woman. Not even this swap managed to tear you two apart. Stay with her.” She said. Brain nodded, a smile resting on his thin lips.

“I plan to.” He said. With that, they floated comfortably into a conversation that stretched until night befell them. Artemis had set up some candles and lamps to illuminate the room. She said that the usual light bulbs defeated the aura and mood of the room. Alice was not aware of the time flying past until when she stared at a candle. She blinked and shook her head.

“I’m supposed to go home. Like, my actual home.” Alice announced, standing up. Brian followed suit.

“Me too. I need to see Michelle.”

“Right. Okay.” Artemis accepted. She got upon her feet as well. “Goodbye. I know you can find your own way.” Both of the two guests quickly picked up the double meaning of what Artemis said. Donning knowing smiles, they bade her goodbye and stepped out on the threshold.

Alice faced Brian. She could see his face in the half light. That was the face she wore for a few weeks. She couldn’t believe how everything had happened. But the solid evidence was standing before her. She had to say goodbye to her new friend. A new friend who she grew to know and care. She opened her arms for a hug. Brian accepted.

He was sad to see her go now. But he knew he would see her again. He had no doubts about that. She was a big part of the package that the body switch offered to him.

“I guess this is goodbye. For now, that is.” Alice balanced on the heels of her feet.

“Yep. Bye then. See you, soon, yeah?” he returned. Taking his final words, Alice nodded and turned around to walk down the path, on the way to her car where it will take her home. Brian stepped off the porch to wander down the street that leads to his house. They may be apart now, but their thoughts were the same.

‘It was good to be me and vice versa.’

FIN.
♠ ♠ ♠
Holy crap. Here's the end.

543 readers, 160 subscribers, 80 comments.

This story is one of my favourites to write. I have alot of memories imbedded in the story. And I am so glad that so many other people had enjoyed reading it, for this is my most popular story here.

Thank you for those who commented:

trishahhh
CaliCupcake
bloodravyn
IcRaVeVeNgEaNcE
kenny love.
Miseri21685
fieldgurl90210
XxxCarpeDiemxxX
Don Vito
Anvampfreak
HailMisery
McFly
polkadotty
Trahur
CutsandRainbows:D
thatcrackfox
originalsyner
hachie
Sailor Meranda
soapy
KellShadows
Rapsby
necr0mance
Mattie Valentine
shortygirl
thedancingdead
JenniferC1994
lucinda4zv
My13eautifulDisaster
JoSynx

And thank you for everyone who read and enjoyed this story. Even the silent ones.

The First Evil is still going. (:

Adieu.