Vice Versa

006.

Thankfully, Brian remembered where he went to visit the witch. She lived in a small grubby white house. It had wooden shingles and a small porch. Pentagrams and herbs hung from the porch roof. A mat with a pentagram lay in the front of the door. Brian and Alice stood before the door. They heard a meow and a black cat slinked around from a post which supported the porch roof. It was purring. With a smile, Alice squatted and patted the cat.

“I wonder if it talks.” Brian mutters.

“He doesn’t. But he is my familiar.” A new voice said, shocking the two visitors on the porch. A short woman with dirty blonde hair stood at the door, leaning on the frame.

“He’s cute.” Alice said. The witch simply nodded.

“Come in.” she welcomed the two visitors inside. Tentatively, they stepped in a hallway. It was bright, rather than dark, like they have imagined. More herbs hung from the ceiling. They followed the witch into her kitchen. It was bright, open and cluttered. Pot and pans and containers containing weird and amazing things were in disarray everywhere.

“My name is Artemis Malachite to jog your memory.” She said, her grey eyes observing Alice and Brian.

“Right. The reason why we came-“ Brian was interrupted by Artemis.

“I know. You swapped bodies. A matter of fact, I swapped you guys.” She said nonchalantly.

“Then swap us back, please! I have a wife, a job to do and a dick. Everything fucked up the moment we woke up. I don’t want to be in her body, neither does she!” he rambles.

“Tea?”

“What? No. The only reason we are here-“

“Tea? It helps calm you down.”

“Don’t change the subject. It’s an emergency.”

“Calm down. Sit down and I will explain.” Artemis pointed at a couple of couches. Alice obliged, knowing it won’t get anywhere by shouting and arguing at the witch. She pulled at Brian’s arm, silently telling him to do the same. He sighed and sat down next to her. Artemis gave them both a cup of tea.

“Does this make us get back in our bodies?” Brian said, far fetchingly hoping for the best.

“No.” the blonde witch sat down on her chair, her cat climbing on the armrest. Absentmindedly, she patted her familiar. He sighed dejectedly.

“So how will we get back in our bodies?” Alice spoke for the first time since they got in the house.

“That is completely up to you to solve. I can’t just reverse it. The spell is done, it’s done. It depends on you finding out what to do, especially with the experience being in somebody else’s body.” Artemis finished. Alice and Brian were quiet and dumbfounded.

“But… what do we have to do?” Brian stuttered.

“That is up to you to find out.” The witch pulled her cat to her lap. He groaned, frustrated. He put his head into his hands, gripping at the unfamiliar blonde locks.

He came here for hopes of solving the issue of swapping bodies with a girl he didn’t know, but he was left with more questions and complications. How could Alice manage being Brian? Alice couldn’t play guitar, even if she was in his body and she knew nothing much about playing the instrument. She was unfamiliar on how he lived and the people he knew. Hell, he didn’t know how it was like being Alice.

“We can figure this out, Brian.” Alice said. Sensing Brian’s frustration and despair, she turned to him, patting his back.

“Sure.” He mocked, not believing Alice.

“Artemis, I think you shouldn’t meddle with other people lives. See what it got us into?” Alice looked up to the witch.

“I know, but your lives need an intervention. Both of you need to look in yourselves and around you to realise it.”

“Then tell me!” Brian yells.

“I can’t do that or the spell won’t work and you will be trapped forever. It is the only way.”

“Why us?” his voice turned into a murmur.

“I have observed both of you, and I can tell that both of you will work well together in this journey. You two are fit for a strong friendship. But both of you need to broaden your horizons. Drink the tea. It will help you feel better.”

“Does it have whiskey?” A scornful and weary look was etched in the feminine face that Brian was stuck with.

“You wish.” Artemis smiled kindly. He gave a grunt and downed the hot tea in one gulp. Artemis got up, getting more tea for Brian. Alice took the time to actually observe the room all round her. The chairs and couches were comfortable and coloured in night blue and yellow shades. She could smell the herbs drying above and a strange scent, probably from the numerous jars and containers. There were heavy curtains framing the open windows, allowing sunshine inside the room.

The cat nuzzled around Alice’s leg. She picked it up and settled to stroking the cat’s smooth black fur. She wondered if the cat would like her better if she was in her own body. As if the cat read her mind, it pushed its head inside her neck.

“His name is Tholomew. He knows exactly who you are.” She felt Brian freeze up next to her. Alice looked up to see Artemis offering another cup of tea. She took it with a quiet ‘thanks’. She took a sip. Brian indicated for the cat. Alice let Tholomew jump off her lap and crawl into Brian’s lap. The black cat began to lick all over Brian’s hands, seemingly excited. After a bit, he nuzzled into his crotch, resting there.

“I think he knows you for some reason.” Artemis frowned at Tholomew’s actions.

“Really?” he looks up, still stroking the cat. Artemis simply nodded in response. Brian was frowning, thinking. Alice was wondering exactly what he was thinking about. He acted a bit strange since he found out the cat’s name.

“Take Tholomew with you. He can help you in this endeavour.” Artemis said. The two visitors stared at the witch, shocked. Brian nodded, accepting.

“Seems like there is nothing else to say. I think it’s time for you to go.” The witch opened the front door after Brian and Alice followed her. Brian was holding Tholomew who was licking his face, to his annoyance. After exchanging goodbyes, Alice and Brian left her house.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you!
Tholomew, hm?
Comments/subs = <3