Sequel: Forget Me Not

Soulmate

Forgeting the Past

*
I laid in my bed that night and closed my eyes. I expected harry to be asleep, it was quite late after all, but he was awake, Sitting in the Gryffindor commons with Ron and Hermione. “-and then she snapped her fingers and it was confetti” Ron was saying. “Just like that, Malfoys’ wand was confetti”

“What was she saying?” Harry asked.

“I don’t know I couldn’t hear” Ron said. “But whatever it was pissed Malfoy off to no end”

“That doesn’t mean she isn’t a death eater” Harry huffed.

“I don’t know Harry” Hermione said. “I ran into her today as well”

“Where?”

“In the Library” Hermione said. “I heard someone crying and went to try and help but it was her. She was sitting on the floor and was properly sobbing into her hands”

“What?” Ron asked, “Why?”

“I don’t know” Hermione said, “It wasn’t my place to ask”

“What did you talk about?” Harry rushed her impatiently.

“I asked her what she was trying to say when you hexed her” she said with a pointed look. “And you were right Harry. She was trying to avoid our glares. She said every day in class we would glare at her for being a slytherin and she, like most people, doesn’t enjoy being hated. Harry, I think you’re wrong about her”

“Just because she doesn’t like being hated doesn’t mean she’s a good person Hermione” Harry scoffed.

“But being a slytherin doesn’t make her evil” she countered. “Anyway she told me that she actually asked the hat to not be a slytherin but it said no”

“Why would it do that?” Ron asked. “Harry asked not to be a slytherin and it put him in Gryffindor”

“I don’t know but do you know what she said when I asked her the very same question?” Hermione sighed. “She asked me why I was put in Gryffindor” the boys stared at her in confusion. “People always say I should be in Ravenclaw” she hinted and they gasped in realization.

“You should be” Harry said. “You’re the smartest person I know”

“But I was put in Gryffindor” Hermione nodded, “why?”

“The hat doesn’t make mistakes… does it?” Ron asked.

Hermione shook her head, “no”

“But it did” Harry frowned. “Peter Pettigrew, he was a Gryffindor, but he’s not brave at all”
Hermione considered this. “Perhaps the Hat doesn’t sort you based on what you are”

“What do you mean?” Ron asked.

“What do you hold most dear Ron” she asked, “ambition, bravery, kindness, or knowledge?”

“I-I don’t know” he shrugged, “Bravery I guess, I mean, if you’re not brave then what are you?”

“It’s the same for me” she said. “I hold bravery above knowledge by a great distance.”

“So you’re saying that Raven isn’t a Gryffindor because she holds ambition higher?” Harry asked.

“I’m saying that the only reason Pettigrew was in Gryffindor is because he admires bravery, not because he is”

“It’s a good theory” Harry said. “but if she’s as good and kind as everyone says she is then why does Snape care so much about her?” he asked. “You have yet to answer that”

I opened my eyes and stared at the canopy of my bed. Yes, that is a good point. Snape, a former Death Eater cared for me. Why, was beyond me he’d never shone even the slightest bit of interest before. What was different? My spell, that’s what was different. Only instead of making him forget and ignore me it seemed to do the opposite to him. He paid more attention to me than anyone else in the world.

“Snape…” I pondered as I fell into the blissfully unaware state of Sleep.

~~somewhere in the castle~~

“What is happening to me?” Snape demanded pacing back and forth in front of the Headmaster. “My thoughts, they are all filled with that girl!”

“Dear me” Dumbledore chuckled, “do I need to remove her from your class?”

“Not like that” Snape growled. “I-I don’t know what this is”

“Of course you don’t” Dumbledore laughed. “You made yourself forget so long ago, my friend. And begged be to keep something until she needed you”

“Emily?” he asked.

“Yes” Dumbledore said hold up a vile fill with silvery hairs. “The past you can’t remember, Severus”

“Give it to me” Snape growled. “Please I must know, now”

“Not yet” he said. “I promised, not until she needed you”

“Why?” Snape begged.

“Because she must remain invisible” Dumbledore said before pulling out his wand. “Now, my old friend, forget all that has happened here” and Snape forgot.