My Little Miracle

Maverick Jordan Scott

Christmas break was a happy time for Pittsburgh Penguins center Jordan Staal. He got a break from hockey to go back to his hometown of Thunder Bay and spend time with his family, which he loved. It was pretty much what he looked forward to most, spending time with family. With the exceptions of a few games here and there, he never got to see his brothers much; especially Jared.

It was snowing when Jordan finished packing. He had just texted Kris Letang to come take him to the airport.

“You might want to check your flight information if you are flying out tonight, this storm is picking up.” The newscaster on the T.V. informed. Jordan had just done that and his flight was right on time. There was a knock at the door which Jordan assumed to be Kris. The blonde pulled his suitcase to the door and opened it up, but instead of seeing a dark haired French Canadian, he saw a little blonde haired blue eyed baby boy sitting in a carseat on the floor. Next to him was a blanket draped over a bag.

“Hello?” Jordan called out and looked around the hallway. There was no answer. He debated closing the door, but he couldn’t leave the child there, so he brought the little boy in.
Once inside the apartment, Jordan opened the bag looking for some kind of note. He found just that, along with legal papers, in the side pocket. He unfolded the piece of paper slowly.


Dear Jordan,
My name is Olivia, Olivia Scott. You may remember me from the night you played in New York against your brother on the Rangers almost 2 years ago.


Olivia Scott…Jordan thought to himself. Ahh yes, Liv. He had met her at a bar that Marc took him to after they played that night. She was a beautiful blonde haired waitress. He had taken her home that night and had his way with her, but when he woke up, he watched her sleeping and suddenly he wanted to get to know her. He wanted to know where she came from, if she had any siblings. He wanted to take her out on a real date, he wanted to date her. He pursued her for the next 2 months, but out of the blue she stopped returning his calls.

There is a reason why I stopped taking your calls…there is something I’ve been keeping from you.

Jordan I want you to meet our 10 month old son. This is Maverick Jordan Scott.

I am so sorry that I have kept him from you all these years, but you understand don’t you? I wanted you to live up to your fullest potential. Being a father to Mav only would have held you back.

I am in some serious financial trouble right now, Jor. I can’t properly take care of this little bundle of joy. I need you to take him for a while, can you do that please? I will come back for him as soon as I can and we’ll talk then. I am so sorry.

I understand if you don’t believe me, but I am telling the truth. If you still don’t believe this is true, take a DNA test. I promise you Maverick is your son. I will be back as soon as I can. Please take care of him.

-Olivia Alaine Scott


Jordan’s eyes shot to the little boy in the carseat sucking intently on his pacifier. This couldn’t be right, thought Jordan, there was no way. After going through the scenario a million times in his head of that night and it was possible, yes, but was it true?

The room seemed to spin, Jordan’s grasp on the note tightened. He took a seat on the chair closest to him and cradled his head in his hands. His thoughts were interrupted by a knock on his door, Kris. Jordan leapt to his feet and dashed to the door.

“Kristopher, I have a huge problem!” Jordan cried.

“Your only problem is you calling me Kristopher, what the hell man.” The defenseman joked.

“Kris, I have a kid.”

“What?” Kris raised his eyebrows.

“Do you remember that blonde waitress I hooked up with a year or two ago in New York. We had just played the Rangers and Marc took us to the really sketchy bar downtown?” Jordan had Kris by both shoulders.

“Maybe, I don’t know!”

“I went over it in my head Kris, it’s possible. That little boy,” Jordan pointed to the baby.

“Ahhh!” Kris screamed.

“What?!” Jordan screamed back.

“The kid! It’s here?!” Kris pointed with wide eyes.

“Yes, which is how I found out!”

“I thought you got a call or something! Not that you ACTUALLY have the child! You don’t know how to care for a child!!!” Kris started pacing back and forth. The yelling between the two men caused the baby to start crying.

“Look what you did!” Jordan said through clenched teeth.

“Do something!” Kris yelled.

“I will if you stop yelling!” Jordan shot back. He fumbled with the straps of the carseat trying to free the boy. It took a few tries but he finally got him out. He started rocking back and forth to calm Maverick down.

“What are you going to do? Your flight leaves in an hour and a half!” Kris ran a hand through his long hair.

“Shit!” Jordan cursed. Kris dashed to the baby and covered his ears.

“Don’t you know anything!?” Kris scolded his team mate, “you can’t swear in front of child!”

“Oh my god…” Jordan handed the boy to Kris. “You’re right. I can’t be a father! I can’t take care of him! What the hell am I going to do?!”

“Jordan!”

“Agh! Sorry!” Jordan collapsed on the couch and covered his face. “I have to call my mom. I will call her can tell her that I am snowed in and can’t get to the airport. You call Dupuis and and tell him we’re coming over with a giant emergency. Get Maverick into the carseat put the blanket on him and get him in the car.”

“Okay break!” Kris nodded. “Wait!”

“What?” Jordan froze with the phone in his hand.

“His name is Maverick?” Kris asked with a smile on his face.

“Yeah, Maverick Jordan.”

“Awwww!!!” Kris gushed. "He has your name as his middle name!"

“Kris, go!” Jordan shooed him.

As Jordan made the phone call to his mother, Kris attempted to strap Maverick back into the carseat at the same time as he made the phone call to Dupuis. After all that was settled, both men made their way to Kris’ truck. Neither men knew how the strap the carseat in so Jordan had to illegally sit in the back holding the carseat as Kris drove.

“Pascal!” Kris banged on the door.

“Dupuis!” Jordan rang the doorbell with one hand while holding the carseat in the other.

“What is it?!” Pascal answered the door with his youngest daughter, Lola, in his arms.

“I have a kid!” Jordan yelled as he held up the carseat.

“Come inside.” The father of four stepped to the side.

“What is going on?” Carole-Lyne, Pascal’s wife, came into the entrance hallway.

“Jordan has a child.” Pascal said nonchalantly.

“What?” She questioned, just as confused as her husband.

They all made their way to the living room. Jordan picked up Maverick from the carseat and told his story. “You’re a father, what do I do?”

“Jordan, I think it’s best if you take a DNA test. Just to make sure.” Carole-Lyne shrugged.

“But look at them, you really think he needs to?” Kris pointed to Jordan and the baby. Jordan held Maverick up to his face so they could see the similarity.

“The similarities are remarkable…Jordan what are you going to do?” Pascal asked.

“I have no choice I guess, I’m going to take care of him.” Jordan looked at the little boy in his arms.

One month went by, then another, and soon enough it was Mavericks first birthday. Jordan had planned a whole birthday party, a lavish hockey themed party at Consol. He invited the whole team and their families. As Sidney played with Maverick on the ice, Jordan thought of the past couple of months and how lucky he was to be able to spend his son’s first birthday with him. Jordan wasn’t mad at Olivia, he was lucky enough to have found out about Maverick when he did. He has every intention to spend the rest of Maverick’s life with him. Now that he has experienced fatherhood, he couldn’t think of life any other way. Maverick was his life now.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just a cute one-shot I wanted to write! :) What do you think?

Peace. Love. Hockey.