Run Through The Rose Bush

01

"I never wanted to do something like this, it just, I don't know," Ginessa spoke as she put toothpaste onto her tooth brush and brought it to her lips, "It juft kinf happef, you mow?" Her lightly freckled hand gripped the white plastic toothbrush diligently, the whites of her knuckles peeking out beneath the soft flesh.

"Sure." Murielle scoffed as she brushed through her long blonde hair. She paused to pick at the lightest white hairs that light up the strands. "You really are a wicked one." She smiled, as she gazed up and appraised the reflection of herself and her elder sister in the mirror. Where Murielle was all light blonde and golden skin, her sister was the opposite with dark hair and fair complexion.

Ginessa's laugh was light, as she casually draped her arm around her little sister's shoulders and spit into the sink. "And you, have only begun to understand it." Ginessa's voice was a soft double edged sword, both amusement and severity clung to her words as she pushed gently past her sister toothbrush in hand and out into the attached bedroom. Two twin beds sat readily, waiting for the girls to join them. Ginessa went over to the bed on the left and sat down, reading through the brochures she had splayed out on her bedspread while continuing to brush her teeth.

Finally, Murielle came out and sat on her own bed. Her sparkling blue eyes chased Ginessa's face as she watched her sister cautiously. Taking a deep breathe, she blew her hair out from her face, "Are you sure this is a good idea, Gin?"

"Vhy mot? I omly get to lif omce." Ginessa looked around as she continued to scrub the mint toothpaste between her lips. She sighed when she caught her sister's eyes watching her, "Mit's omly fummer camf! Im juft a counchilem"

"Things are never what they're supposed to be with you. You say it's only summer camp, and I say you're full of it." Murielle chided, as she got up from her bed and went to the shared closet. Clothes started to pour out as she looked through the mess. She grabbed some jeans and a hoody, before looking moodily at Ginessa's packed bags in the corner. "And you're taking all the good clothes with you."

"Am mot! Befidef, mim omly takimg my ftuff." Sophie spoke around her toothbrush as she walked back towards the bathroom and spat in the sink. Rinsing her mouth out she called back to her sister, "Which may be everything, but still it’s mine. And I'm nineteen, Murielle, I can make my own decisions! A summer job isn’t that big of a deal!" She poked her head out of the bathroom, and watched her sister. Murielle had replaced her caution with anger and Ginessa couldn’t miss it.

"I know you can, Ginessa! But you’re leaving me for a whole summer. And then when you do come back, who knows where you are going!” Murielle pouted, glowering as she wiggled her jeans over her hips and buttoned them closed with aggressive fingers.

“I understand, Elle, I would feel the same way. It wasn't that long ago I was turning sixteen either…” Ginessa tried to sympathize with her disgruntled sister, realizing she was failing.

"And three years later you're still living at home, in the same bedroom as me." Murielle barked, as she leant with her shoulder against the door frame. Murielle glared at Ginessa, and threw a random piece of clothing at her. "Plus! You’re missing my birthday! ”

“I already apologized for that, Elle,” Ginessa stepped fully into the room and looked at her with pleading eyes. She walked across the room quickly and pulled her baby sister into a warm hug. She brushed her fingers through her hair gently, trying to let her sister’s angry energy melt away. Finally her sister relaxed into the hug, and wrapped her arms around her shoulders. “You know if I could be here, I would.”

Murielle nodded, giving her sister one strong squeeze before she pulled away. She quickly turned around, trying to hide the tear slipping from her eye. But Ginessa saw it, and she felt a little pit form in her stomach.

Just then, Murielle cleared her throat. “So when are you getting picked up?" She grumbled, pretending to busy herself across the room tidying nothing on her desk.

“Shortly I suppose, I’m not sure actually. Leslie said she would pick me up once she was done having good bye breakfast with her family.” Ginessa’s voice was quiet as she began to braid her hair back, deep in thought.

“That must be nice.” Murielle’s gentle tone was right behind her, causing Ginessa to look over her shoulder. “It must be nice to have a family around to say goodbye to.”

Ginessa turned around, placing a hand on her sister’s shoulder and giving her a reassuring smile. “It is even nicer having you to say goodbye to.” She gave her a kiss on the forehead, “And besides, you are not alone. Arthfael said that he would stay with you while I am gone. At least until our parents come back.”

Murielle rolled her eyes, “He’s just going to boss me around. Ever since he moved away he is such a control freak.”

Ginessa giggled, “But! He is our big brother. It’s his job to boss us around. We should just be grateful he is coming home to look after you. Your birthday is soon, but for the meantime you are still just fifteen. And you burn water.” Just as the girls’ laughter filled the room, the doorbell rang.

“Speak of the devil!” Murielle laughed, running out of the room and down the stairs to answer the door.

Giving a final look around her childhood room, Ginessa prepared herself to say goodbye for the time being. She gathered up her duffle bag and her backpack, and made her way out of the room. A parting sigh and she closed the door behind her.

At the top of the stairs, she was met by the loud voice of her big, big brother. “Ginessa! Get down here and say hello!” His voice was loud, and she smiled as she came down the large stairs. Dropping her bags, she was swept into a warm hug by her oldest sibling, her brother the Bear King.

All of the three children had old Celtic names, her parents both politicians believing firmly in sticking to their families roots. All three children: all different in comparison and all with a name befitting of their meaning. Or at least, Ginessa thought her brother and sister’s names suited them well. Definitely her eldest brother, who was tall and wrapped in cords of muscle he could look, and sound very intimidating. But his strawberry gold crop of hair and warm blue eyes told the story of how kind he really was. And just as Celtic legends foretold of strong kings with the strength of bears and the fairness of a noble ruler, he was true to his name.

“I missed you, Arthfael!” She smiled broadly as he swung her once and placed her back on her feet.

“I missed you too, Brat!” His deep chuckled filled her ears, causing her grin to grow. It had been several months since she had last seen her brother, before Christmas to be fair. And now that he was here to take care of their little sister, she felt another pang of guilt.

“I like the long mane!” Ginessa poked fun at her brothers shoulder length mop, as she reached up on her tippy toes to shake her fingers through it. He smiled, brushing her off. “Come with me, and I’ll show you everything Mom and Dad left behind.”

She led him into the kitchen, and began pulling papers and a giant manila envelope from a drawer. “Here is all of their contact information: Their hotel in France, and their emergency numbers.” Pulling a folded piece of loose paper from her back pocket she paper clipped it to the pile of papers, “Here is the contact information for the camp I’ll be at. I’ll have my cellphone but just in case you can call me at any time to ask questions or get clarification.”

Arthfael just nodded, taking the papers and skimming through them with serious eyes. “Anything else?” His deep voice gave her all the attention it had, and it made the pang of guilt grow deeper. It was her responsibility to look after Murielle, and she felt awful for abandoning her and putting the burden on her brother.

“Well Elle is pretty great about testing her blood sugar, but if she forgets you may need to remind her. All of the insulin is in the fridge, and the prescription for refills is in the envelope with the family cards. The pharmacy will remind you, but just in case you forget you can always take her to the hospital. Now, if she goes into diabetic shock. Get her to the hospital as soon as you can, you might want to sleep in our room. That way you can check on her throughout the night, like I usually do. But try to make sure she is testing regularly, hospital is the worst and last resort.” Ginessa made small notes on a pad of paper as she spoke, feeling like she was forgetting something.

“I’m right here you know!” Murielle groaned, rolling her eyes as she plopped down on her elbows next to her sister.

“I know you are, Elle!” Ginessa rubbed her hair gently, smiling fondly at her. “We just want to make sure bossy pants here can help you out if you need it.” She winked at her sister, and giggled the way only the two of them could.

“Who are you calling bossy, Gin?” Arthfael crossed his elbows, shaking his head and laughing lowly. Ginessa stuck her tongue out, and the three siblings laughed. It was nice, she realized, laughing together. It had always been the three of them as a team, and now she was leaving.

Just then they heard a car horn honking outside. Ginessa broke the laughter with a sad sigh, “That would be my ride.”

Murielle began to tear up, her eyes welling with bright blue mist as she gave Ginessa a giant hug. She held on for several minutes, until another honk outside pulled the sisters apart. They shared a watery look, and both smiled.

“I’ll give you a hand with your bags.” Arthfael smiled warmly at his sister, and let back into the entry way. He grabbed the two bags she had, and held open the door.

“You two act like I am dying or something,” Ginessa laughed with tears in her throat, trying to hide that she felt the same way, “I’ll only be gone for three months. You will barely even notice I’m not around.”

“Fat chance of that!” Murielle’s smile was full of love, and the three siblings embraced in the driveway.

“Are the three muskadorks done yet?” A voice called from the small yellow hatchback at the end of the drive. A caramel round face popped out of the driver’s side, framed in a halo of curls. Leslie, Ginessa’s best friend, smiled as she walked up the drive to meet the siblings.

The Jamaican-French woman was tall and very athletic in frame, with large freckles across her cheekbones and warm brown eyes. She gave both Arthfael and Murielle a quick hug as she knew them as well as she did her own family. It was nice, Ginessa realized, to have a friend who loved her siblings as much as she did and to have earned the right by due diligence and loyalty. Leslie’s smile was genuine, as she gave Ginessa a squeeze to her shoulder, “We really better get going. We have to get to Camp Lycan before noon for staff orientation!”

With final goodbyes and wet hugs, Ginessa was settled in the front seat, Leslie buckling up beside her. As Leslie pulled away, Ginessa turned away to wave to her family. The frantic waves from Murielle were matched by Arthfael’s own reassuring and solemn wave. She was letting them go, but she was ready for a summer she would never forget, where hopefully she could finally make decisions for her future. Settling in, the girls began their six hour drive to the summer camp as the wind rolled the car and lifted Ginessa’s guilt.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter One. :) I'm not really sure where this is going yet. But if you like the mood of it, feel free to subscribe. Updates as often as possible.
xo Ren.