A Little Too Late

A Little Too Late

Have you ever been in love with someone who doesn’t love you back? I have. My name is Kelsey and I’m going to tell you the story of how my heart was broken, multiple times but then was mended back together by the kindest and sweetest guy you will ever meet. It all started back in middle school, 7th grade to be exact. I was sitting in my English class, a few months after school had started and I noticed a boy sitting a few seats to my right. He had brown hair, tan skin, and blue eyes. I soon developed a crush on that boy. That boy’s name was Zach, Zach Porter. I thought that crush would go away but by 8th grade I still felt the same way. I thought about him constantly and just mentioning his name gave me butterflies. I had to admit to myself that I was in love with Zachary David Porter. By 9th grade I had watched him date so many girls and it broke my heart. 10th grade was the same only this time, I had made a new friend, Cameron Quiseng. He was Zach’s best friend and girls that Cameron had liked, ended up liking and possibly dating Zach. I got my first kiss that year, but it didn’t matter to me because it wasn’t Zach. 11th grade was terrible for me. My love for Zach had grown until he was the ONLY thing I ever thought about. He was constantly on my mind but I couldn’t tell him because he was always with a girl. I lost my virginity that year but once again, I didn’t care because it wasn’t with Zach Porter. 12th grade broke my heart because I watched him take his other friend to prom. Turns out he didn’t have a fun time but at least he didn’t have to watch the love of his life dance with someone else. I went with Cameron but we went as friends. He knew how I felt about Zach and he just tried to get my mind off of Zach for a while. After I graduated I thought I would never see Zach again so the day after our graduation I decided to tell Zach how I felt about him. It was a sunny California day when I walked over to the Porter house. I slowly walked up to the front door and knocked. Within seconds Zach opened the door. His presence took my breath away. I was unsure what to say. He always made me nervous. I felt like I was going to melt when he said my name. “Hi Kelsey, what’s up?” He asked leisurely. Okay this was it. “Oh nothing, I just wanted to tell you something before we both left for college and never saw each other again.” He stepped out onto his porch. He put his arm on my shoulder. “I promise that we will see each other again. College isn’t going to tear us apart that easily.” He smiled. Why did he have to make this so difficult? “So what did you want to tell me?” It was now or never. “Listen Zach, I’ve been meaning to tell you this for some time. Since 7th grade actually.” I paused. “Zach, I love you. I’m in love with you and I have been for a while.” I looked at him and he just stood there. Finally he spoke up. “Kelsey….. I don’t know what to say. I’m sorry but……” I stopped him mid-sentence. “I know what you’re going to say. That’s how I thought you felt. I uh got to go. Bye Zach.” I turned on my heel and started powerwalking away from the Porter house. “Kelsey wait!” He called out after me but I ignored him. I didn’t want to hear what he had to say. I knew it was a bad idea to tell him but I actually felt like 1,000,000 pounds had been lifted off my shoulders. I walked to Cam’s house and knocked on his door. He opened it and I told him the news. “I told Zach!” “That you love him?” I nodded. “That’s great Kels!” Then his expression changed. “What did he say in response?” “He doesn’t love me back.” Cameron pulled me into a big hug. “I’m so sorry Kels.” “It’s ok Cam. I knew that he wouldn’t or will ever love me back.” On that note, Cam and I decided to do something fun that didn’t involve Zach. So we went to the San Diego Zoo. I started feeling much better and Cam just took my mind off things. Later we went back to my house. As we walked up my drive way, we saw someone sitting on my front steps, with flowers. I walked up to my front door and Zach stood up. “Kelsey, you never let me finish.” Zach started to walk towards me but Cameron stopped him. “Listen Zach, we both know how you feel about Kelsey. Now just leave her alone.” Zach had a hurt look on his face. He looked at me, ready for me to say something but I didn’t. He set the flowers down and started walking down the sidewalk. I mean I did feel bad for him but it was a mistake to tell him I loved him in the first place. Cam picked up the flowers and we walked inside. He put them in a vase and I sat down on my bed. Cam sat down next to me. He looked at me and saw that tears that had started to form in my eyes. He opened his arms, inviting me in and I sat in his lap, for hours, crying. I buried my face into his chest, soaking his t-shirt. But he didn’t mind. He held me there and occasionally rubbed my back. I couldn’t have asked for a better friend. I fell asleep in Cameron’s arms and when I woke up at 3:15 am I was resting my head against Cam’s chest. I picked up my head and his shirt was still wet. I got up to fetch him one of my brother’s shirts. When I got back Cam was awake. “I heard you get up.” He said as I walked into my room. “I got you a new shirt since I ruined yours with tears and makeup.” I threw the shirt at him. He changed while I went into my bathroom to brush my teeth. When I got back Cam was sitting on my bed again, ready with open arms for me to come back and cuddle up next to him and pour my feelings out. So once again I sat on his lap with my arms wrapped around his neck and cried the tears that I had left. Once I had gotten a headache from crying too much, Cam lifted my head and looked into my eyes. He started to lean in and he closed his eyes. I closed mine to and waited for the moment when our lips met. That kiss with Cameron changed everything. Do you want to know how it changed everything? Let’s just say that my name now is Kelsey Quiseng and I have a little girl named Annabelle Quiseng and a wonderful husband named Cameron Quiseng. Do you want to know what happened with Zach? Well, 8 months after my daughter Annabelle was born, Zach approached me and told me something completely unexpected. He told me he loved me. Unfortunately I had to decline. “I’m sorry Zach. Annabelle and Cameron are my life now. I wouldn’t trade them for the world.” We agreed not to tell Cam and to move on from one another although in the back of my mind I do wonder what would have happened if I had chosen Zach that night after graduation. It doesn’t matter anymore. I am as happy as can be with my precious little girl and the best husband ever. I wouldn’t change anything.
♠ ♠ ♠
Creds to Jojo for title