‹ Prequel: The Heart Does Go On
Status: Active

Love Can Touch Us One Time and Last For a Lifetime

Chapter ten - "hit a girl, it shows how much of a man you really are"

I was furious come the next Monday morning. I knew Siegfried was pissed at me; he rescheduled my flight back to San Francisco so that we’d go back on separate flights. Of course he ‘conveniently’ forgot to mention it to me. Waiting 5 hours in the LAX domestic airport was not fun.

Of course while waiting, I noticed why he was pissed at me. The newspapers had reported a so-called break up between Kaiba and Tiffany Bouvier (which Seto did actually officially confirm, wow) but of course my name was tossed around and the breakup was pinned on me.

One thing was true though; I did leave the event early, and with Seto and not Siegfried. Dad explained it to me all in the morning when I woke up at the L.A. house and not a hotel room.

Apparently, Seto suspected that someone had slipped me date rape. He took me to Dad’s house where I would be safe.

This is why I was annoyed at Siegfried. Not because I thought he did it (but everyone was a suspect, anyone could have done it) but he didn’t care. All he cared about was his reputation, and that I ‘ruined’ it by leaving with Seto and not him.

I knew that Siegfried was only using me for status and a reputation, he had told me countless times. But I guess I was disappointed that he couldn’t be human for just a few hours and show care and compassion that I was put in harms way. Even Seto Kaiba, the emotionless human did. But I guess that was just too much to ask for.

So I was mad, real mad.

So right now, it was Monday morning. I was barging through Schroeder Corp. like there was no tomorrow. People were staring in shock, obviously hearing at least something about what happened Saturday night at the Industrial Illusions event.

I didn’t even bother asking the secretary if I could go into Schroeder’s office, but I gave her a quick nod and she gave me a smirk and a thumb’s up.

She HATED Siegfried, everyone knew that. While not many employees at Kaiba Corp were too fond of Kaiba, Emma, his secretary thought very highly of him, and always had his back. It probably made work easier for them both.

I slid in, but as loudly as I could, and saw Siegfried look up. He had a small smile on his face as he saw me, a smile I could not trust.

“Ah, Miss Campbell. The person I just wanted to see. Shut the door and take a seat.” Siegfried said, and I shrugged as I did as I was told.

However, once I was seated his demeanour changed.

“What the HELL did you think you were doing, leaving with hurr Kaiba?!” Siegfried asked angrily, getting out of seat to get into my face, obviously to intimidate me.

“Wow, yeah. What was I thinking? I wasn’t, because someone slipped some GHB in my drink!” I bit back at him.

“Maybe you should be more careful next time! It’s not my duty to be looking after some careless wench!” Siegfried shouted at me.

“Actually, it was your job to look after me. I was your date, even if it’s for show or not part of the deal comes with looking after me. So don’t be mad that I left with Kaiba, because he was the one that fulfilled the requirements of my date, a duty you neglected.” I bitterly stated to Siegfried.

This statement made him angry. Very angry.

So angry that he raised his hand, and I knew what was coming next. I could detect fast movements, I was luckily enough to have sharp vision. He was also weak for a guy. Seto would have easily slapped me, but I was able to withhold Siegfried’s attack by latching onto his arm before he hit me.

“Go on Siegfried, hit me. I’ll not stop your attack next time. But think about this, what will the media say if I walk out here with a black eye? I don’t even have to open my mouth; they’ll have a field day with this. So now go ahead, hit a girl, it shows how much of a man you really are.” I shouted at him, letting go of his arm.

He immediately stood back and sat down, but didn’t stop shooting daggers at me.

“Well anyway, just wanted to swing by to say thanks for the job, but I’m giving two weeks notice. I’d give less and walk out the door right now, but damn legal obligations suck don’t they.” I sheepishly grinned.

I got up to leave, but Siegfried reached over from his desk and grabbed my arm.

“HR will exit interview you of course.” Siegfried said, sounding a little, desperate?

“I expect so, it is standard procedure. Now I kindly request you remove your hand from my arm, so I can back to my job of doing nothing and looking pretty for the front desk, isn’t that what you want?” I replied cooly.

“Do you have a new job lined up?” Siegfried asked.

“No. But I don’t care, I’m not working for someone like you for another second longer than I have to. I’d rather be homeless than work for a pig like you.” I exclaimed angrily, my face bunched up in anger.

“How would you like to be a junior accountant?” Siegfried quickly blurted out.

I raised an eyebrow at this question.

“You’ve learned from my continual denying you that position that someone with your lack of qualifications and lack of real experience will never land you a position as a junior accountant, at least not until you graduate. If you continue to stay employed with Schroeder Corp then I will audit you and if you pass the audit you can become a junior accountant. If not, I’ll continue to audit you until you do.” Siegfried offered.

Both of my eyebrows were now raised.

He was right. I’d never get to be a junior accountant, at least not until I finish my degree. Everyone knows my only ‘experience’ was because I dated Seto Kaiba, nothing that would be taken seriously on a resume. If Siegfried wants to use me, maybe I can use him back. This job would get my foot in the door.

“What do you get out of it?” I asked, wary of him.

“My Ella, what makes you think I’m making personal gains out of you stepping up the corporate ladder? If you stay on board with Schroeder Corp, you get invites to events, such as the second Industrial Illusions event next month.” Siegfried stated.

Bingo, that’s his catch. That’s his ‘polite’ way of saying that if I keep working at Schroeder Corp and do get promoted; I still have to escort him to these kinds of event, so that the media still think we’re going out.

“Deal.” I muttered out, giving him a weary look and a slight glare, before turning around and marching out of his office.
♠ ♠ ♠
Eh in hindsight I don't like this part. But I'm not supposed to, Ella 'selling out' to further her career showed how career minded she is, and desperate for a promotion. That was the point. It still makes me cringe she agreed to work for him again though, lol.