‹ Prequel: The Heart Does Go On
Status: Active

Love Can Touch Us One Time and Last For a Lifetime

Chapter thirty - “That’s Ella’s way of saying welcome to the club"

University had now started. I had no assignments yet, but I was still in the library until 9pm every night copying down the lecture slides. Duke was annoying me as he would always come and join me, and would sit next to me and whine about how long I was taking until I would snap and exclaim to him that he didn’t have to wait for me and could go home anytime he wanted.

As for the new friends I had met: well, I had made a few acquaintances so far, but I knew as it was only the first week I still had many more friends to meet. Hamish was in all of my lectures; however after spending most of day one together it was made clear we didn’t really click very well and would probably only say hi whenever we passed each other. I had no lectures with Mike, but we got on fairly well and had made plans to hang out outside of uni. Julian it turns out went to Domino High, but we never really crossed paths. He also lived within walking distance of the university and we walked home together a lot.

Anthony…well, I was now keeping my distance from him. He was coming onto me strongly, and even after dropping many less than subtle hints he was still saying ridiculous un-funny sexual jokes and other pathetic come ons. Luckily we were doing different courses, but there was going to be another union party soon and he had exclaimed delight of attending said party. He had also walked home with Julian and I a few times too.

It was now Thursday afternoon. I had classes from Monday to Thursdays, and had Fridays off. I worked weekends at Kaiba Corp, one weekend I did a night shift of 2pm to 11pm on Saturday night and the other weekend I did 7am to 4pm Saturday and Sunday. Why the weird hours? I told Seto that I was unable to work during the week due to schooling commitments. He needed me to work a set amount of hours per fortnight in order to legally be part time. Those stupid hours worked best, as there were laws against how many hours were needed in between each shift.

I oh, so eloquently had a kebab in my hand as I was sitting on the grassy lawn on my laptop. I had a two-hour break and although I usually studied on my breaks, I was starving and wanted to eat first

I noticed two bickering people crossing the lawn, and propped myself up to see who was bickering. A familiar blonde and her sandy haired brother were bickering, and it made me smile as I remembered the two people, but then frowned when I realised one of them had gone out of her way to ignore me for two years.

They stopped in their tracks when they saw me too, one had a big smile, and the other had a frown similar to mine.

I waved anyway, just to be polite and civil.

The brother then looked at his sister, grinned with a shrug and sat himself down next to me.

The sister, however, took a different approach.

“Don’t talk to me.” She growled.

“Look, Kathryn, I have no idea what your problem is with me, but aren’t we old enough to talk it out?” I sighed, ignoring the pain it felt to have someone who was once my best friend be nasty for no reason.

“Don’t you mean you’re big enough and ugly enough to discuss this? Sure, whatever. I don’t waste my time on losers.” She growled again, giving one look to her brother before storming off.

“If it makes you feel any better, she’s only doing that because she’s jealous. You haven’t done anything.” Lachlan, Kathryn’s brother stated.

“That actually does make me feel better. Haha sucks to be her.” I giggled.

“That’s what I told her, you wouldn’t care what an insignificant person has to say about you. She hasn’t liked me much since.” Lachlan grinned.

“What is she jealous about, anyway? She started ignoring me after I moved to San Fran. It’s not like I was in the spotlight anymore or anything.” I shrugged.

“Exactly. Well, it all started when everyone went to college. At our prom there was no prom king or queen, so people started talking about whom they would have voted for. Then someone started an unofficial ballot about who should have been prom king and queen. Congratulations Ella, you were Domino High School class of 2010 Prom Queen. Duke was voted Prom King.” Lachlan stated.

I began laughing, out loud. I never, ever in my wildest dreams thought I’d ever be Prom Queen. Even though it was unofficial and decided a long time after Prom, I was voted Prom Queen. My 10 years of being a loser before Domino was not affected, I was on top!

“Yeah, she wasn’t happy about that. Then she saw a lot of Domino newspapers still regularly featured you and what you were doing with your life, even though you and Kaiba had broken up. A lot of them linked you to Kaiba still of course, stating things you or he did was because of your time together. But in a way you were a socialite, and she grew bitter over time.” Lachlan said.

“That’s weird…she didn’t mind when we were actually friends. That’s when I was in the spotlight the most, and she was around that everyday.” I pondered.

“Yeah well, I don’t know something changed or something snapped I guess. I have to go to a lecture, but it was nice seeing you again. See you around?” Lachlan asked.

I smiled and nodded, and he gave me a quick hug before bounding off, a shy look on his face.

I finished off my kebab, before looking at the time. I had my Accounting tute in five minutes, and it was on the other side of the school. I packed up my stuff quickly, but then realised this wasn’t high school and I could just stroll around and turn up whenever I wanted to.

***

“We want you to establish your Accounting presentation groups in the first week, so it’s easier for you to all gather and make plans early on in order to make the most out of your time management. I’ll be writing down your groups in a few minutes.” Our Accounting tutor, John stated.

Duke’s arm shot out and grabbed mine.

“As if we wouldn’t be in a group together! I don’t know anyone here, as if I’m just going to ditch you, walk up to a random and say ‘Oi, my friend Duke is a horrible person and is probably an alcoholic. Can I be in your group’?” I sniggered.

Before Duke could reply, we saw a nervous looking girl approach our desk.

“Hi, um my name is Heather. Can I be in your group? You two look like the friendliest people here and I don’t know anyone else.” The person stated.

I looked around at the demographic of people in here.

“Hm let’s see, girl wearing the same Ralph Lauren sweater as me but in a poo brown sneering at me, tanned pretty boy with his arm slung over tanned bimbo, nerd boys giving us dirty looks just for being female? Wow, it’s such a hard decision to pick who’s friendlier, I’m surprised you came to us.” I said sarcastically.

“That’s Ella’s way of saying welcome to the club. I’m Duke.” Duke grinned, pushing out a chair for the newcomer.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to dncflrdntlvme87's comment, I updated wheeee! I work full time and do part time university, so it's hard to update nowadays. I also live with my boyfriend, so I spend the little free time I have with him.