Requiem Supernova

the sun goes down alone

Have you ever wondered what are you doing with your life? Get up in the morning, have a quick bite of burnt toast because you tried multitasking and it got burnt for staying too long in the toaster, nervously looking at your watch as you stand in the queue for the sad excuse they call coffee, just to get your morning pick-me-up, go to classes, back home, study until your eyes pop out your skull, shower and bed. Is that the life you thought you’d lead? Where are the parties, the twenty-four seven race to see who would drink more without throwing up? Where are all the hot college boys, one night stands and all the shenanigans? Where do you squeeze your personal life in between tight class schedule?

So, when Emmanuelle, Elle for short, looked up from her British Studies book, looking at her flat mate running frantically in search for fitting underwear to surprise her boyfriend, there was nothing else but to let out a deep sigh of sadness. Elle was envious of her friend and her social life and how she managed it along with the classes she had.

“You could still come with us if you want. I can call up some friends,” Suzan, the flat mate spoke to Ella, “or Brendon could call some of his, I know for a fact that he mentioned he had a single friend.”

Ella wanted a break from studying, she wanted it so bad, but couldn’t afford it. And even so, if she would to come with Suzan and her boyfriend Brendon, she would felt like a third wheel, or she would just awkwardly sit there with someone’s friend who only came along because of a favour. “Nah, I have a big test coming up. I’ll stay home. Maybe some other time.”

Suzan looked at her low self-esteem friend and shook her head. She knew that there was no reasoning with Elle. Fifteen minutes later, Suzan stormed out, mumbling how late she was. Ella just smiled and picked up the piles of clothing left behind and went to bed earlier because she had an early lecture tomorrow.

“I know, I know,” Suzan said as she climbed into tinted window car that waited for her in front of the building she lived. “I’m sorry I’m late.” She leaned and kissed the male figure in the driver’s seat.

Elle couldn’t sleep. She imagined how it would be to go out to some party, to meet a nice stranger and have deep and meaningful conversation about Adrienne Rich’s poems, fall in love, make love. So when the morning came and the alarm on her phone went off, Elle looked back on her life and how empty it was and decided that it was time for a change. Maybe if she acted more like Suzan, maybe it’d be better.

Suzan wasn’t home, when Ella raided her closet finding the perfect outfit for the day. As she put on the light summer dress that hugged her waist and hips perfectly, she wondered why she never thought of it before.

“I’m a girl, might as well dress as one,” Ella thought out loud, twirling in front of the mirror.

“About time,” Suzan spoke entering the front door. “By the way, that dress fits you better that it ever fitted me.”

Ella was taken back, “I’m sorry, I’ll take it off." She was ashamed Suzan caught her wearing her dress. She hurried to take it off, but her action was soon stopped. When Suzan realized what Ella was actually doing she caught her hands and stopped her. “Don’t. You have nothing to be ashamed of.”

As Suzan waltzed away to the bathroom, Ella glanced at her reflection in the mirror. “Why not?” A tiny touch of lip gloss on her lips and she walked outside, ready to conquer the day.