Status: Temporary Hiatus...

And You'll See Your Hero Come Running

Chapter 2

I was woken up early Wednesday morning to the phone ringing. Jon rolled over and grabbed the phone from his bedside table, “Hello,” he said still half asleep. Someone said something on the other end and he immediately sat up. “What! No she can’t be!” he cried. He listened to the person on the other end. “Yeah, okay love you too mom,” he choked out. He hung up the phone and just sat there, not saying a word. “Jon, baby what happened?” I asked slowly moving closer to him. “G-Grandma’s g-g-gone,” he whispered as a tear rolled down his check. “Oh Jon,” I whispered hugging him and letting some of my own tears fall.

The next morning we drove to Steinbach, Manitoba to be with the rest of Jon’s family. We checked into a hotel and then headed over to Jon’s Aunt and Uncles house. His whole family was there, his Grandpa, his Uncle Garry and Aunt Donna, his Aunt Karen and Uncle Charles, his cousins Patrick, Christopher, Stephen, Jeffrey and Kurtis with his wife Tiffany and children Madison and Ryker, and his parents and David. We walked into the house and were met by Andree who immediately gave Jon and me a comforting hug. We went into the living room where everyone was gathered talking about how everyone was doing. Jon sat down on the sofa and pulled me onto his lap wrapping his arms tightly around my waist and resting his head on my shoulder. “So how are the newlyweds?” Jon’s Uncle Garry asked. “Good,” Jon said. “Jonathan why don’t you tell everyone the exciting news,” Andree spoke up. “What news?” his Aunt Karen asked excitedly. Jon looked at me and I nodded. “We’re pregnant,” Jon answered a small smile spread across his lips. There were congratulations from everyone. “So how far along are you, Chelsey?” Tiffany asked. “About a month,” I smiled. “It hasn’t been too bad so far,” Jon said. “Except for the morning sickness,” I replied. “Just wait till your further along, you’ll get all these weird cravings and your hormones will be going crazy,” Tiffany replied. “Good luck with that man. You’ll be running around like crazy trying to find what she’s craving and you never know what mood she’s gonna be in so you’re on your toes all the time,” Kurtis said towards Jon. “You sure you want to have this baby,” Jon joked and I lightly smacked him in the stomach.

After dinner we went back to the hotel. “How are you feeling?” Jon asked as I came out of the bathroom in my pyjama shorts and an old t-shirt of Jon’s. “I’m fine. How are you feeling?” I asked crawling into bed next to him. “Alright, tomorrow’s gonna be hard though,” he sighed. “I know,” I sighed putting my hand on his. I gave him a kiss before lying down and falling asleep.

The next morning I woke up around 8:30. We were having lunch at Jon’s Uncle and Aunts house around 11 so I decided to get up and have a shower. Once I was done my shower I put on my matching black bra and panties. I came out of the bathroom and saw that Jon was just getting up. “Morning,” I smiled. “Morning,” he replied sleepily coming over to give me a kiss before going into the bathroom to take a shower. I put on a pair of dark wash jean shorts, a loose fitting black scoop neck t-shirt and a red plaid shirt with the front buttons undone and the sleeves rolled up. I put on a bit of makeup and put my hair in a side pony. Jon came out of the bathroom in a pair of white shorts and a bright blue and white striped polo t-shirt. Once we were ready we left to go to Jon’s Aunts and Uncles house.

We got to Jon’s Aunts and Uncles house and were greeted by Jon’s cousin Stephen. “So how’s the pregnant lady this morning?” “Nice Stephen,” Jon rolled his eyes. “Pretty good so far, no morning – oh excuse me,” I said as I felt like I was going to be sick and made my way to the bathroom. A few minutes later I came out of the bathroom. “Hey Chels, feeling better?” Jon asked putting an arm around my waist. “Yeah for right – nope never mind,” I said as I ran back to the bathroom. I came out about 10 minutes later to see that everyone had started eating. I found Jon with his cousins and David outside on the deck. I went over to where Jon was sitting and curled up on his lap, resting my head on his chest. He put his arms around me and placed a kiss on top of my head. “How are you feeling?” he asked. “Gross, I hate this morning sickness,” I responded. “Do you think you can eat something?” he asked holding his plate out in front of me to see if I wanted anything from it. I shook my head and buried my face into his shirt. Jon put his plate down and rubbed my back soothingly while he lightly kissed the top of my head. “Why didn’t you do that when I was pregnant?” Tiffany asked Kurtis. “Are you kidding? You were so bitchy when you were pregnant I was afraid you were going to tear my head off,” Kurtis exclaimed earning a light slap from Tiffany.

Later that evening was the viewing at the funeral chapel. We walked inside the small chapel and into a room where a casket was placed. Everyone took their turn going up to the casket and paying their respects. Jon walked up to the casket and took a look at his grandmother. She looked cold as she laid there with her eyes closed and her hands folded over her stomach. Jon went over to one of the pews and sat down with his face in his hands. I came over and sat beside him. “I just can’t believe she’s really gone,” he whispered, tears falling down his face. “I know me neither,” I whispered whipping away a few of my own tears.

The next morning was the funeral and we had to be at the church by 10. I got up, showered put on a bit of makeup and curled my hair in loose curls. I changed into my black v-neck jersey wrap dress and black peep-toe heels. Jon was dressed in his black Hugo Boss suit, with a white dress shirt, a black skinny tie and black dress shoes. I grabbed my clutch and we headed over to the church.

We were brought into a room where the casket was. Jon, David, Kurtis, Patrick, Christopher, Stephen and Jeffery were going to carry out the casket. The service started and out went the boys carrying the casket, the rest of the family following behind them. The boys placed the casket in its spot on the stage and then came to join the rest of the family in the first 3 pews. Jon sat down beside me and grabbed my hand. I gave his hand a light squeeze letting him know that I was there for him. Throughout the service different family members and friends came up to say a few things about Mary Toews. Once the service was over the guests filled into the dining area where there was a buffet lunch. I went into the dining area to look for Jon but I didn’t see him. “David do you know where Jon is?” I asked. “I think I saw him go outside,” he answered.

I went outside and found Jon leaning against the side of the church. I could see that his eyes were all red and puffy from crying. “Jon,” I said as I approached carefully. “She can’t be gone! Where is everyone going to get together at Thanksgiving? I’ll never get to eat her famous apple pie, or hear her tell stories about what it was like when she was growing up,” he sobbed. “Come here,” I said with my arms open. Jon collapsed in my arms, wrapping his arms tightly around my waist and buried his head on my shoulder as he continued to let all the emotions that he was feeling out.