On My Mind

Welcome to Aussieland

Our flight landed in Gold Coast, Australia at one o'clock. My mom, my sister, and I headed off to the main floor to retrieve our luggage.
"Welcome to Aussieland" joked my older sister as we watched suitcases on a conveyer belt in an circle , watching with careful eyes for our bags. We would come to Gold Coast every summer for our 'family' vacation. Since my mother was divorced and hadn't remarried, it was just the three of us. That was all the family I had, and all the family I could ever want.
" I hope there's time for us to hit the beach, I'd kill for a tan!" I told my family My mother huffed.
" That's exactly what you'll end up doing if you keep tanning, Kendall. You're going to end up getting skin cancer." she told me. Since my mom was a dermatologist, she wasn't the biggest fan of purposely getting tans. I just simply rolled my green eyes.
"Oh, whatever mom" I said as I spotted my purple plaid bag, and lifted it off of the conveyer belt.
" Both you and Chelsea have great skin, I wish you wouldn't try to ruin it by laying out in the sun soaking up the sun's natural poison. How about a fake tan?" she asked. My sister and I both gave our mom a weird look.
"Orange skin in a can? No thanks" said Chelsea, targeting in on her sparkly blue luggage case coming up on the belt. Mom squeezed the bridge of her nose with her thumb and her forefinger. Her medium length, blonde hair swished as she shook her head in disapointment. Chelsea tapped her on the shoulder.
"Mom, your luggage" she reminded her. Mom opened up her bright blue eyes, and grabbed her bag by its handle. Now it was time to set off to our hotel. Since it was only two blocks from the airport, mom insisted for us to walk to it to get some exersize and a few breaths of the fresh Australian air.
" It's good to be back" she said. I wished we had taken a rental car or taxi like everyone else who got off the plane. People were starting to give us weird looks, but our mother didn't seem to care. So I did my best to enjoy the walk. I watched as Chelsea pouted and clicked with the buttons of her cellphone.
" I wonder what part of town Cody Simpson lives at" I said a block down from the airport. Chelsea kept typing on her phone.
" Will you shut up about Cody?" she asked with her stuck-up sounding nasally voice. "You're never gonna meet the little dork anyway". My mother gave her a nasty glare.
" You need to learn to be nicer to Kendall" she hissed. Chelsea rolled her eyes, and continued texting her friends back at home in the small Michigan town we lived in. I began to think about how far away from home we were. It was pretty far, Gold Coast was literally on the ther side of the world.
" I know he lives in Gold Coast" I said, ignoring Chelsea's snobby comment. "Maybe we might see him while were here!" My mother side, as Chelsea threw her head back to laugh at me.
" Sweetie, he's probably on tour or something. You rarely find celebirties roaming the streets." she explained to me. I shrugged. I was just dreaming out loud, I didn't really believe it would happen for real. We arrived to at the front of the hotel. It was as beautiful as I remembered it, a white building with a marble feel to it. It was white roses lining its long porch. My mom was a fan of luxury, so our hotels were always five-star. But this one was by far my favorite. I believe it was all of our favorite, so we stayed in it each year.
" Come on, girls lets check in." Said mom, as we trailed behind her up the hotels front steps. I was bursting with excitement on the inside. My adventures in Australia were just about to begin.