Saved By Her Guitar

Chapter Nine

Melanie waited under the “arrivals” sign outside the JFK airport. She shivered, grateful for the coat her uncle had bought her for New York. She’d swung the guitar case around onto her back for safekeeping.
Her smoky blue eyes scanned her surroundings. She’d gotten looks of confusion which she suspected was because of her not quite black face and her strange eyes. It didn’t bother her. Morgan had taught he to accept her oddness; it made her exotic and it shouted individualism. It wasn’t like there was much difference between them. Her skin and eyes were lighter. Other than that there was no difference.
She was excited to see Morgan, that’s all. The fact that her father was “dating” didn’t make her super excited to see him. She was unsure of how she felt. She was only sure of what Morgan had told her and Morgan never lied to her unless it was important. Morgan always took care of her.
Melanie could remember Morgan sleeping with her when she had nightmares. Even when she went out with friends, she always seemed to know when her little sister was disturbed. She’d come straight home and into Melanie’s room sometimes smelling of alcohol and cigarettes that her friends smoked, and she’d sing her sister to sleep.
A car horn woke her from her daydreams. Melanie looked up at the silver truck.
Shelton got out and hugged her.
“Look at you. You look…just like Morgan.”
“Thanks.”
He put his hand through her dark brown hair.
“Are you excited to be in New York?”
“Considering the circumstances? Not really. But I can’t wait to see Morgan. I haven’t talked to her in almost a month.”
He put her things in the trunk.
“You play guitar now?”
“This is Morgan’s but yeah, I do.”
They got into the truck and pulled away.
“I notice that you really miss your sister.”
“Of course. I love her,” she said looking out the window.
“What about your old man?” he asked smiling.
“I missed you too but ‘Michelle’ makes it kinda hard for me to be ecstatic about seeing you. I’m angry but whatever.”
“I love you. This woman will never change that.”
“That’s all well and good but she obviously has something mom doesn’t which means your love for mom-
“I love your mother-
She turned her gaze on him for the first time, “Then leave this woman and come home.”
He turned away first due to the traffic. Morgan had always told her that her eyes were more effective than Morgan’s because they looked to be two different colors. Some people found it unsettling.
“You’re too much like Morgan.”
“You say that like it’s a bad thing.”
“It is in more than one way. Know your place, Mel.”
“If Morgan were here she’d tell you to know yours. Yours is with us.”
“Well, she’s not here,” he said angry. “I’m not going to argue with you. You will respect Michelle.”
Melanie wanted to challenge. She wanted to argue but she didn’t. Tense confrontations were Morgan’s style. Melanie was more the seemingly indifferent sister even though she did feel a certain way or another.
Soon, they pulled into the garage.
He grabbed the majority of the bags and Melanie grabbed the rest.
When they walked into the suite, Melanie’s eyes rolled over the modern interior design.
“Nice.”
“Your room is to the left. But first put your things down and come meet Michelle.”
“Now?”
“Yes.”
At times like this, she wished she was more challenging.
She took a deep breathe and followed him into the living room.
She sized the woman up. She had on a white mini-skirt and white cami. Her hair was pulled back in a ponytail and her brown eyes were…playful?
“Michelle, this is Mel up close.”
“Melanie,” she corrected.
“It’s nice to finally meet you.”
“So, did Morgan turn out to be a prostitute?” She cocked her head to the side waiting.
“Melanie!”
“It’s alright, Shel. No, she didn’t. I was wrong. I’m sorry.”
“It’s not me you should be apologizing to. Where’s Morgan, anyway?” she asked before her father could blow a gasket.
“To the left.”
She went down the hall and opened Morgan’s door. She smiled because it smelled like Morgan’s room back home: rain and coco butter. She was sleeping on her stomach with her left hand covering her face and her right foot hanging off the end.
Morgan had already plastered the wall above her headboard with posters of her favorite cars and bands and singers. In her closet hung three new leather jackets. That made her curious. Morgan’s phone lay charging on her nightstand. Melanie touched the screen and got her first look at Dillan.
“Cute.”
Morgan rubbed her face, “What time is it?” she asked herself through closed eyes.
“11:51,” Melanie answered.
She rolled over, “I got time.”
“Morgan,” Melanie sang.
“Mel.”
She knew Morgan slept heavily.
“Coffee.”
“Coffee?” Morgan said sitting up.
“I’m here.”
“Melly?”
“Yeah.”
When it finally dawned on Morgan, they hugged and squealed and jumped up and down.
“Wait. I brought you something.”
Melanie ran down the hall then came back with the guitar.
“No way. Thanks, Mel.”
She took the guitar and plucked at the strings, tuning it.
“Play something.”
She smiled, “Okay.”
She plucked at the strings absentmindedly while she thought.
“Got it. First I have to find the right chords.”
When she found what she liked she began to strum the guitar and sing:
There was a new girl in town
She had it all figured out
Now I’ll state something rash
She had the most amazing…smile
I bet you didn’t expect that
Melanie laughed.
“I heard some band named Maine on the Disney channel singing it. It’s a pretty cool song.”
“Hey, you got three new jackets.”
“Hmm?”
“I saw them in the closet.”
“What else did you see?”
“That’s all.”
“Oh, well, I kinda got three new cars.”
“What?”
“Yeah. I work in this garage fixing up cars. I make good money. I bought some cheap crappy cars.”
“Cool.”
“Yeah,” Morgan said uneasily.
“So, Mo?”
“Huh?”
“When do I get to meet Dillan?”
“How about today?”
“For sure.”
“Let me clean up then we’ll go over to the garage.”
Melanie got up.
“But hey, Dad doesn’t know about the garage. No one does.”
“Okay.”

They’d gotten out of the house because Morgan said they were going sight seeing. He couldn’t prove they weren’t and he didn’t feel like a dispute so he’d let them go.
Saturdays at the garage were always loud and busy. Everyone went to school except Wesley, Dillan and Caleb so when Saturday rolled around all the high schoolers too advantage of it, usually working all day and sometimes into the night.
She walked through the main garage and sat down the box of joe she’d bought from Dunkin’ Doughnuts. She knew they’d attack it when she was gone.
In the separate garage, Dillan worked diligently on his practically finished Honda ____. She tapped him on the shoulder.
“Hi.”
She couldn’t explain the euphoria that she felt when he smiled so brightly at her.
“Hi there.”
He kissed her mouth then her neck and she could smell and feel the sweat, grease and grit on him. She loved the filth of his hard work on her skin although most girls may have found it disgusting. And had Melanie not been there watching attentively things might have happened.
She wished she didn’t have to push him away.
“O-o-okay,” she stammered while laughing nervously.
“But you like-
“Dillan,” cut off, “this is my sister Melanie.”
He noticed the girl for the first time. He looked between the two of them.
“You’re her spitting image,” he said offering his hand. “But there is a difference, which is always good.”
They shook hands.
“It’s good to finally have met you,” she said.
“Likewise. She speaks very highly of you. You make her happy.”
Morgan put her head down, embarrassed.
“So, how do you feel about cars, little one?”
“I like them but not like her.”
“Show her your babies,” Dillan prompted Morgan.
She walked over and snatched the sheet off the BMW.
Morgan heard Melanie let out a sigh.
“I know.”
“It’s black and red like that jacket.”
“Yup.”
Then the sheet came off of the Infiniti.
“He and I share this one-
“I’ll bet you do ‘share’ it.”
“You think so low of me.”
“What about this one?”
Morgan pulled the sheet off, “Not ready yet. But once I get the inside done and hook up the sound system, then and only then will I be through. I think I’ll quit after this.”
She and Dillan locked eyes.
“Why?”
“This takes up all my time and with Mel here, I don’t wanna be doing this.”
“We’ll talk later,” he said.
“Okay.”
They stayed at the garage for awhile then headed home.
“Melanie?” Shelton called from the living room.
He and Michelle were waiting on the couch.
“Come have a seat.”
“Oh, I’ll be sitting in on this, too,” Morgan said.
“I just wanted to discuss the rules,” Shelton explained.
“Yeah because Melanie’s known for coming in at all hours and talking back and-
“Morgan,” Melanie said.
Morgan shrugged, sat back on the couch and crossed her arms.
“You do have a curfew of eight o’clock so if you happen to be out with your sister, don’t.”
Morgan rolled her eyes.
“I want the same respect you show your mother.”
“Yeah, no. Mom respects her marriage and you don’t. See how that works? I’ll be the good kid that I am but my respect for you is minimal.”
“I guess I should have expected that. You’ll be attending Keystone Middle School. It’s not far from Morgan’s school.”
“Shotgun!” Melanie whooped.
“Michelle will be taking you.”
“Doubtful,” both Morgan and Melanie scoffed together.
“I think it’d be good if you spent some time with her and got to know her a little better.”
“I think it’d have been good if Rogue hadn’t gotten the cure at the end of X-Men United but she did.”
Morgan nodded her agreement.
“Mom has cancer. She’s not dead! Stop tryna force this chick on me!”
She left the room hastily.
“That’s some fantastic parenting, champ,” Morgan said leaving the room.
She went into Melanie’s room.
“You never lie to me but I didn’t wanna believe you. I didn’t think it could be as bad as you made it sound.”
Morgan sat next to her.
“This isn’t the Dad I remember. He used to love Mom. He kissed her every chance he got. I don’t understand, Mo. Why ishe-
“Melanie?” Shelton stuck his head in, “Can I come in?”
“Too late,” Morgan mumbled.
“It’s your house.”
He sighed and entered. “Morgan, can I talk to Melanie alone?”
Morgan looked at Melanie.
“I’ll be okay.”
Morgan threw warning eyes at Shelton then left the room and the suite. She drove over to Dillan’s place.
“Hey there,” she said.
“Hey. Come in.”
They sat down in the living room.
“Can I get you something?”
“No, thanks.”
“Now, what’s this about you leaving the business?”
They sat on the couch.
“It’s just, I’ll be eighteen this year; an adult. And with my Momma in the hospital Melanie needs a proper role model. I can’t hide what I do from her forever. She’s a smart girl. Eventually, she’ll put two and two together. I love her too much to watch her go down the rode I’m traveling.
“I mean, sure. I get away with it now but who’s to say I won’t get arrested tomorrow? Then where will that leave Melly? Without me and Mom. I don’t want her doing this and I don’t want her knowing I do.”
“I understand that. You’re just looking out for your sister.”
“I try.”
“How’s she taking the whole Michelle thing?’
“Not good. He’s trying to coerce her into liking her by them spending time together every morning. He wants Barbie to drop Melly off at school when I have to pass it to get to mine. And he’s trying to demand respect from her by being overbearing. She cracked. She had a me moment,” she chuckled.
“It’s hurting you.”
“There’s nothing worse than Mel’s discomfort. She’s just a kid and a fairly happy one at that. She doesn’t need this. She doesn’t deserve it. Hopefully I can get some money together and move out or deal with him until I can take her with me. I don’t know.”
He rubbed her shoulders, “My door’s always open.”
“If I could, I would. But I can’t leave Melly.”
“I know.”
She leaned back on him and he cradled her.
“What can I do?” he asked.
“There’s nothing you can do. I can’t wait until my momma gets out of the hospital. Then I won’t have to worry about Mel. Until then, I’m on my own.”
“You’re never on your own.”
He kissed her deeply trying to chase away her problems, if only for the moment.
Then her phone rang.
“I’m coming,” she answered.
She stood up, “I’ve gotta go.”
When she looked at him, her eyes were troubled and uncertain.
He walked her to the door.
“Hey,” he said putting his hands on her face, “I love you.”
He kissed her.
“I love you, too.”
When she walked into the suite, Shelton was on his way to his bedroom.
“Look whose on time coming in.”
“My sister needed me. Some dueshlord just finished upsetting her.”
She walked pass him into Melanie’s room.
“Hey. I’m here.”
“Can we go to your room? You’ve already marked it with your scent.”
Morgan laughed. “Okay.”
They went into Morgan’s room.
“So what’s the verdict?”
Melanie watched Morgan move about the room undressing and putting things away.
“He said I couldn’t totally ignore him and…Barbie.”
That made Morgan smile.
“That Morgan McCall isn’t my only relative here.”
Morgan scoffed at that.
“I know, right? Anyway, he was full of sorries and invisible love for Momma; all this stuff about him lovin’ his girls no matter how cold we acted toward him; no matter how ‘unjustified’ our behavior. His exact words, mind you.”
“I hate to be a bad influence in on you by undermining his authority but-
“He’s full of it, I know.”
“Pay him no attention. You’ll be back in California in no time. And forget what he said about not ignoring him. It’s just me and you, kid.”
“Just me and you.”