Saved By Her Guitar

Chapter Twelve

Morgan had told their father he didn’t have to worry about picking them up.
He’d argued but Morgan had just said they wouldn’t be there when he showed up.
Dillan was there when they landed. He got out and helped with the bags. Melanie got into the backseat and went to sleep. Moran ran her hand over the stubble on his jaw and kissed him.
“Will you come upstairs?”
“Yeah.”
They drove in silence. They had talked enough over the past week for him to know what she was feeling. He saw it on her body when he pulled up. He could see it in the eyes he missed so much over the past week. He’d felt it when she hugged him. Morgan believed her was going to die and you could read it all over her.
At the suite Morgan was glad her father’s truck was gone considering she’d invited Dillan up. When they got upstairs, Melanie said goodnight and went into her room.
“Nice digs,” Dillan said looking around.
“I’ll be sure to tell my father you said so.”
He followed her into her room.
His eyes ran over the space. It was fitting, what you’d imagine her room would look like: the specific cars an bands plastered on the walls, the sleek flatscreen across from her bed, the sound system on the stand underneath the tv, bed not made, clothes thrown about tidily, dresser covered with cds, books, lotions and all those girlie items. Her nightstand had a small lamp on it and a picture of a toddler kissing a woman.
“This is your mom?”
“Yeah.”
She sat on her bed.
“You look alike.”
“My grandmother, sister and everyone else agrees.”
He replaced the picture and sat next to her.
“Why didn’t she send you to your grandparents?”
“Cause they aren’t either of my parents and she thought I’d run over them.”
“Like you do your father?”
She smiled.
“Your room is very nice.”
“Junky.”
“No. It’s very you.”
“You callin’ me junky?”
“No. I—I-
“Calm down. I’m kidding.”
She stood up and went to her closet to check her stash. She was fidgeting. When she came back toward him, he stood and grabbed her hand.
“What?” she asked.
He leaned in and kissed her.
“I like this shirt,” she said.
“I knew you would.”
She pulled him toward her bed and they lay down. She pulled him closer by his collar and he kissed her harder. He lifted her shirt off over her head and she went to work on the buttons of his shirt. His lips moved to her neck and his hand to her jeans.
Then the door opened and Michelle stuck her head in.
Morgan looked at the door, “Dillan. Dillan, stop.”
“What is it?”
When the door closed he looked, “Oh, no.”
Morgan leapt out of bed and ran into the hallway. When she went into the living room, her father and Michelle were talking quietly.
“Morgan. I thought you were asleep,” her father said.
“What?”
“I told him you were sleeping.”
Morgan didn’t know what to do. Her heart rate picked up.
“I think I’m having a panic attack.”
She ran into the kitchen and had a glass of water.
“This changes everything,” she told herself. “Michelle? Cool?”
“Are you alright?” Michelle asked.
“Why? Why did you do this? Why are you doing this? Blackmail?”
“Morgan, I can’t say that I don’t understand why you dislike me. But all I’ve wanted since he told me about you is for us to be friends or something manageable. You’ve hated me from day one.”
“You understand why, though.”
“But I still wish. I still hope.”
“This changes everything.”
“Good. Just try to like me for your father. Either way, I won’t tell Shelton. It’ll stay between us.”
Morgan nodded her head, still confused.
“What’s going on? I don’t hear any shouting or breaking,” Shelton proclaimed, entering the room.
“Nothing, baby.”
“Morgan? Behaving?”
“Shut up,” she said suddenly.
“Excuse me?”
“Michelle and I have come to an understanding. Goodnight.”
She went back to her room and locked the door this time.
“What happened?”
“She—she didn’t tell him. She says she just wants me to try to like her.”
“Do you trust her?”
“I don’t know. She seemed sincere.”
“What’re you going to do?”
“She knows. There’s nothing I can do.”
“Trapped.”
“You’ll have to stay until he goes to bed.”
“Or I can stay the night.”
“Okay.”
She changed into her pajamas and Dillan took off his shirt and jeans.
“Can I trust you?” she asked playfully.
“Can I trust you?”
She laughed and he turned off the light and slipped in next to her. He put his arms around her and kissed her neck.
“God, I missed you so much when you were away. Your voice drove me crazy.”
“Now you know how I feel when you go away on business.”
“Yeah.”
There was a knock on her door.
“I’m sleeping!”
“Please, Morgan,” Shelton begged.
She got up and Dillan grabbed his things and went into her closet.
She opened her door.
“Yeah?”
“Can I come in?”
“I don’t want to talk. It’s late.”
He looked at her.
“What?”
“Did you threaten Michelle?”
“Come on,” she groaned agitated.
“Well?”
“We came to an understanding.”
“Maybe I’m being insensitive because you’ve just come from seeing your mother. I don’t want to be like this-
“I haven’t been back an hour. Get off my back,” she said laughing, remembering Amanda’s t-shirt.
“Shelton?” Michelle called.
“Go. Go to her. It’s not like your marriage matters anymore, anyway.”
“What’s that supposed to mean? What did your mother say?”
“Goodnight.”
She slammed her door and locked it again. She felt Dillan’s hand on her side and shoulder.
“You alright?”
“Tonight, Dillan.”
“No. Your Dad will hear.”
“I’ll be quiet.”
“For your first time? I don’t think so.”
“But-
“Not tonight. Not like this. Let’s just get some sleep.”
He led her over to her bed and they lay down.

The next day Morgan was in the hallway waiting for Melanie to get her things together.
“Hurry up! The weekend’s going to be over by the time you’re finished. Just grab a pair of clothes.”
“Just shut up. How about that?” Melanie yelled back.
“I ain’t gotta take you no where.”
“Fine. I’m ready.”
She came out of her room with a small duffle. Morgan followed her little sister to the elevator.
“Hey, Bar-uh-Michelle?”
“Yeah.”
“You wanna roll or something?”
“What?” Shelton coughed, baffled.
“I’ll be back,” Michelle said following Morgan.
When Melanie saw Michelle her mouth dropped open.
“What’re you waiting for, simpleton? Get in.”
Melanie couldn’t think of anything else to do so she got into the back seat.
Once she dropped Melanie of the silence became awkward.
“You’re not a bad driver.”
“Thanks. Some people confuse speeding for bad driving. I can drive. The Transporter, Frank/Jason Statham, is my hero.”
Michelle laughed and that intrigued Morgan.
“May I ask about the boy?”
“Ouch. Sensitive subject.”
“You don’t have to tell me.”
“You called me a prostitute.”
“And I’m sorry.”
Morgan sighed, “His name’s Dillan. I’m in love with him. He makes me want to stay in New York. He gives me goose bumps. I love everything about him.
“And he’s hot.”
“Definitely. That’s always a plus.”
“Always.”
They laughed.
“How old are you?”
“Twenty-nine.”
“Really?”
“Yeah. You sound shocked.”
“I thought you were like, twenty-five.”
“Thank you.”
“Why are you with him?”
She thought. “I met him some time ago while he was here on business. He told me he was single. That travel didn’t afford him the luxury of settling down. Every time he was in New York we got together and I fell for him. When he moved here he told me the truth, that he was separated from his wife, he had daughters. I knew you wouldn’t like me.”
“He’s great at lying. He wonders where I get it.”
Her phone rang.
“Yeah.”
“Did he know?” Dillan asked.
“No. I snuck you out at the perfect time.”
“Good. What’re you doing later?”
“Party?”
“No. I just wanted you to come over. You can bring your sister.”
“She’s spending the night over a friend’s house.”
“Even better. So I’ll see you later?”
“What time?”
“I don’t know. Seven?”
“Alright.”
“Bye.”
“Bye.”
Morgan pulled into the garage.
“Hey, listen,” Morgan began, “Don’t feed my Dad’s curiosity. It’s none of his business what’s going on between us. Don’t give him details. Give him explanations that don’t explain anything. Be ambiguous.”
“Why?”
“I don’t want him getting excited and I most certainly don’t want him thinking that I’m doing this for him.”
Michelle smiled, “You talk just like him.”
“Huh?”
“The words you use, proper English and your enunciation. The way you phrase things.”
“Thanks?”
Michelle laughed again and Morgan gave her the same look of intrigue.

Morgan decided to take a nap before going over to Dillan’s. Once she was ready she headed for the door.
“Where are you going?”
“Melanie’s not here. I’m going out. Don’t wait up.”
She closed the door behind her.
“Relax, Shel. She’ll be fine.”
“What is going on around here?”

Dillan met her downstairs.
“What’re you-
“There’s a nice place a couple blocks from here.”
“It’s supposed to rain. What if-
“We won’t get caught.”
“I like the polo.”
He had on all black.
“It brings out your eyes.”
“I like your get up, too, beautiful.”
She was wearing her favorite pair of black jeans and a new white button down shirt.
“Copycat,” he said when he noticed her black tank top because the shirt wasn’t buttoned all the way up.
“This is a very nice necklace. Who gave it to you?”
She laughed and kissed him.
“Let’s go.”
He grabbed her hand and they headed toward the restaurant.
When they got there, Morgan looked up.
“Beaven’s?”
“It’s-uh-family owned.”
“You know the family.”
“Dillan?” came a voice from inside.
“It’s my family. Beaven’s my mother.”
They went inside.
“Little brother, it’s been too long since you paid the restaurant a visit. You know how it hurts Momma’s heart when you don’t come around.”
“Yes, Scott. I do know. Is she here?”
“In the back, as usual.”
“Okay. Scott, this is my girlfriend, Morgan.”
“The girl who made you fall for her in three months. It is my pleasure,” he said kissing her hand.
He smiled like Dillan. His eyes were deep brown and very friendly. He wore his hair unlike Dillan’s but he was also very good looking.
“Are you going to seat us or stare at her?”
“Seat yourself, spaz. The family table is empty.”
“Of course it is.”
They found the booth and sat down.
“Your brother’s charming.”
“I’m glad he didn’t rub my head like he has the habit of doing.”
“I’m meeting the family?”
He smiled, “I met yours, sorta.”
She looked around the restaurant. It was a large room with a divider ever so often. There were about fifteen floor tables and booths on three walls from the entrance to the kitchen. The floor was well lite by a massive yet beautiful chandelier whereas the booths were slightly shielded from the light resulting in a romantic dimly lit atmosphere.
“It’s beautiful.”
“Thanks. The booths were my idea,” proclaimed proudly.
“Smart man.”
“Is that my Dill Pickle?”
Morgan looked at him with the biggest grin on her face.
“Come. Give your Momma a hug.”
He stood up and hugged his mother.
She was shorter than he was. Her silver hair was thick and healthy and pulled back with a pencil stuck in it. Dillan had her eyes. She was lean and the crow’s feet at the corners of her eyes seemed to reveal that she lived a good life.
She kissed him on his cheek, “You only come to work or when you…” she trailed off when she saw Morgan.
She looked at Dillan.
“Oh, she’s beautiful. Look at those eyes. Come now. Momma don’t bite.”
Morgan slid out of the booth.
“I can see why you picked her.”
“This is Morgan. I-
“Love her. I see it in you; both of you. I wish the best for you.”
“My boy!”
Morgan jumped as Dillan’s father hugged his son.”
“You’re a busy boy. What’s been keeping you?”
“Morgan.”
“Who’s-
“Sir.”
He turned to her. “Sir? Call me Elliott. Way to go, son.”
There was only one word to describe Elliott: Dillan. He had brown eyes, like Scotts, but his smile, jawline, all of his facial features were Dillan.
“May you have all the luck your mother and I have.”
“Come. We’ll let them eat.”
They sat back down.
“I’m going to have the steak.”
“I’ll have what you’re having,” Morgan said.
“Scott, bro?”
“Yeah, kid.”
“Two steaks.”
“Coming up.”
“Your family is…lovely.”
“Thank you.”
They held hands across the table.
“I’ve never felt this way about anyone before. I mean, I’ve had girlfriends but you’re something else. When I first met you I thought you were cute but rough and typical. You proved me wrong. You puzzle me. You’re wild and calm; happy and sad; angry and soothed. How can you be out of control yet tame?”
She blushed. “What’re you, proposing?”
He looked at her earnestly.
“Oh, my gosh, you’re proposing!”
“No, I’m not,” he finally said laughing.
“Don’t do that!”
“I wanted to let you know how much I love and appreciate you.”
“Things are going so well,” she said solemnly.
“Don’t do that.”
“But I’m just being realistic. I’m a realist.”
“Things are going well because we work. We’re good together.”
“Here you are. Two steaks and the sides for the happy couple,” Scott said.
“Bon ápetite.”
They ate and said their goodbyes to everyone.
“That was good,” she expressed when they’d left.
“Next time we’ll go to the bar. It’s a little further down.”
“We can catch a Lakers game. Or a soccer game.”
He smiled and kissed her.
Then it started to rain.
“We’re not gonna get caught, huh?”
He pulled her under a bus stop cover and laughed.
She nudged him against the wall and put all of herself into a kiss. She loved him and he loved her just as much.
A bus pulled up and a group of kids got off.
“Get a room,” one of them groaned.
“Get a life,” Morgan shot back.
“C’mon,” Dillan prompted.
He grabbed her hand and they walked through the rain to his place.
In the apartment, he went to his room and she went to the bathroom to dry her hair.
When she went into Dillan’s room, he’d taken off the polo and was about to put on another.
She walked over to him, “Leave it.”
She had butterflies.
He turned and looked at her peculiarly. He heard what she’d said but he knew what she was really saying.
He tossed his shirt aside and put his hands on her hips. He kissed her softly to let her know he’d take care of her. He slowly unbuttoned her shirt and slid it off of her shoulders. He lifted her tank top over her head.
She inhaled sharply as he kissed the nape of her neck. She undid his jeans and he stepped out of them. He grabbed something off his dresser then lowered her to the bed. She was nervous but his kisses tasted sweet and felt reassuring.
He kissed her harder as he undid her jeans. She ran her fingers over the tribal tattoos on both of his arms. He looked stronger than the last times she’d seen him shirtless. She took a calming breath when she felt him removing her jeans.
She felt him press up against her. She loved the way their bodies felt and fit together. She trusted him. He kissed her stomach then her phone rang. She reached for it.
“It can wait,” he breathed on her stomach.
“But-
He intertwined his fingers with hers, “It can wait.”