Saved By Her Guitar

Chapter Fourteen

That Friday night, they were all getting ready for the ballet.
“I haven’t seen Swan Lake since Morgan was twelve and we’d gone together. Those were simpler times. Before she knew even knew how to spell sarcastic.”
He was playing with his cuff links, trying to put it on with one hand. Other than that, he was ready.
His crisp black pants fell over and around his shiny black shoes. The unbuttoned jacket hung on his frame, complimenting his large frame and blending into the pants and cumber bun. His white shirt seemed to emit its own light and his bow tie hung untied around his neck.
“Men. Here, let me.”
Michelle appeared to float out of their bedroom as she came to assist Shelton.
She wore a long, white, slender dress that trailed a bit behind her. It was strapless and the material clung around her chest for dear life but the color flattered her complexion and made her glow.
“What would you do without me?” she asked.
“Die.”
She met his gaze seriously.
“Okay. I’m ready.”
Melanie entered the room skipping in her rose pink dress and settled in front of them.
“Isn’t she gorgeous?” Shelton said.
“Absolutely.”
“Why, thank you. You two don’t look so bad yourselves.”
“Such manners.”
“Where’s your sister?”
“Still getting pretty?”
“Where’s the boy?”
The bell rang.
“Here. I’ll get it.”
She skipped from the room, down the hallway and to the door.
“Hey, Dillan.
“Hey, Mel.”
“Lookin’ good.”
He spun, “Thanks.”
His pants were as crispy as Shelton’s. He wore a silver vest under his black jacket, a white shirt, and a striped silk black and silver tie.
“You look pretty good yourself.”
“Thank you.”
When she spun, he dress flared around her.
“You brought me flowers?”
“Yeah.”
He pulled a single pink rose from behind his back.
She gasped, “Wow.”
“May I pass, now?”
“Oh, right. Yeah.”
She moved aside and he followed the hallway to the living room.
“Hello, Dillan.”
“Good evening, Mrs-
“Michelle.”
“Michelle.”
He exchanged looks with Shelton.
“Don’t be rude,” Michelle whispered.
“Hello, Dillan.”
“Mr. McCall.”
“What lovely flowers. Morgan loves orchids.”
“I know. They say that giving a woman orchids is like telling her how truly interested you are in her.”
“A woman?” Shelton chuckled. “Just respect me enough tonight to keep your hands to yourself.”
“I could comment on how hypocritical that is but I won’t. I’ll keep my hands to myself.”
“Awkward,” Melanie sang.
“Okay. I’m ready.”
Morgan stood in the doorway. She also wore a strapless dress however, hers was a seemingly shimmery midnight blue. The dress hugged her down to her hips then slightly flared out giving her a small train and swallowing her feet and shoes. Her hair was curled and she was wearing eyeliner and mascara.
Silver earrings dangled to her shoulders and she wore Dillan’s necklace. She held a dark silver clutch.
“Dillan!”
He whistled as she advanced on him.
“What do you think?”
“Beautiful,” he said waving his hands in front of him.
They hugged.
“Handsome.”
“For you.”
“My favorite.”
“I know.”
“I love you.”
“I love you, too.”
“Jesus Christ! Let’s go,” Shelton groaned impatiently.
They all grabbed their coats and headed down to the garage.
“Mr. McCall, would it be alright if Morgan rode with me?”
“How’s your driving?”
“I think I drive quite well, sir.”
“Fine.”
He led Morgan to the Infiniti and opened her door for her.
“What a gentlemen.”
He bowed and closed her door.
After he got into the car, he pulled out and followed Shelton.
“We haven’t really talked much this week. What’s new?”
“Well, I joined a garage band. I’m lead vocalist.”
“You sing?”
“Apparently. Oh, and play guitar.”
“Nice. How proud of you I am.”
“Okay, Yoda.”
“When can I see you play?”
“Next Friday, actually. We’ve been practicing this song over and over and over again. I’m getting tired of it even though it’s a good song.”
“Practice makes perfect, darling.”
“You’re right, dear.”
After seeing the ballet they all skipped dinner and went home. Morgan and Dillan stayed in the car and talked for awhile. They also got some of the night’s heat between them release with some sensual kisses.
When she walked into the suite, Shelton was watching television.
“You still in your clothes?”
“I thought you were waiting for me.”
“Nah. They have G.I. Joe OnDemand and I’ve been wanting to watch it but haven’t had the chance.”
“Oh. Okay.”
She went to her room and changed her clothes into her pjs then went and sat next to her father. He looked at her.
“I’ve seen it but I can still enjoy ruining it for you.”
He smiled, “Try to restrain yourself.”

Morgan had driven the M3 to the garage and was trying to decide if she should take the finished Lancer next or drop her Rabbit and drive the Lancer back.
“Does it matter?” Dillan was saying.
“No, but still.”
He grabbed her hand and spun her then began to dance.
“Ya’ know, that was really fun last night, getting dressed up, looking like adults, being adults. We should do it more often, only with dancing. I thought your dad’s eyes were going to fall out of his face when we walked over to the Infiniti.
“Yeah.”
“And Michelle seemed nice. Genui-
They heard a loud crash then a gun shot in the other garage.
“Stay here.
“Dil-
“Morgan,” he said sternly.
She sighed, frustrated, “Fine.”
In the other garage, four guys with guns surrounded Martin, James, Terrence, and Zaria.
A fifth guy turned to Dillan.
“You!”
He pointed his weapon at Dillan.
“Where is Wesley?”
“He’s not here. I’m in charge when he’s gone.”
“Then I’d like you to do something for me, Dillan.”
“If I can, I will.”
He walked over to Dillan, “Stay out of my territory.”
“We haven’t been to that side of town. We know that’s your territory, Hunt. We show you the same respect you show us.”
He hit Dillan hard with the gun’s handle.
“You don’t show us respect! That is the point!”
On the ground, Dillan held his eye. Hunt cocked his gun and pointed it at him.
“No!” Morgan shouted throwing herself over Dillan.
“Who is this?”
“Morgan, I told you to-
“Morgan, how nice to meet you. Were you the talented idiot who stole from my side of town?”
“I’m not but if I told you where the car is and assure you that it won’t happen again, will you leave?”
“If you assure me and it does-
“Okay. Maybe I can’t assure you but I can give you your car back.”
She watched as Hunt thought.
“I’ll leave. Tell me.”
“it’s out back, covered over with a black tarp.”
“Thank you, Morgan. You should all be very grateful,” he announced. “Morgan just saved your lives.”
When he moved toward the back, the four others followed.
Dillan turned on Morgan, “I told you to say over there.”
“Didn’t you hear him? I just saved your life. Show some appreciation.”
“It’s not funny! What if he’d shot you?! What if he’d killed you?!” he shouted, standing.
She stood with, “Are you serious?”
His jaw was set angrily and he walked away.
“I appreciated the gesture,” James said but the gratitude went unnoticed by a baffled Morgan.
She went back to working on her car but only half-heartedly. She couldn’t understand why he’d gotten upset. She’d risked her life for him. What was to be misunderstood? I love you so much that I’d die for you, she thought. It hadn’t even occurred to her what she was doing until she was staring down the barrel of that gun.
How could that be misinterpreted? She had to find a way to make him understood, to see it from her perspective, or to just apologize because he obviously felt strongly about this. Morgan didn’t like apologizing but she liked Dillan and in the end, that was all that mattered.
After the incident, things were quiet around the garage. Even in the same space, Dillan avoided Morgan.
Caleb walked into the garage sometime later.
“What’s going on around here? You can hear a screw drop.”
“It’s over now. No one wants to talk about it,” Dillan replied.
“Okay. Hey, what happened to that car in the back? It was under a black tarp.”
It seemed that in one step, Dillan was upon Caleb with his forearm pressed into his throat and his back to the wall.
“What’s the problem?” he gasped.
“You are! That was from Hunt’s territory!”
“That’s not where I found it. It was in our area when I boosted it.”
“But it wasn’t on the board. You know better.”
“What is the big deal?!” he shouted pushing Dillan away.
“I almost lost her!”
Silence fell over the garage once again.
“What?”
Morgan and Dillan locked eyes.
“I almost lost her,” he choked out looking at Caleb. “I gotta get outta here.”
They watched him stalk out of the garage. Caleb looked at Morgan but she looked away.

Later that night Dillan lay in his bed thinking about the day’s drama. He did understand what Morgan had done but he didn’t want her to do it ever again. He knew she loved him. There was no need for her to take such drastic measures to prove it. Apparently, he thought, they’d die for each other but he’d rather die first. Either way, it was a lose lose situation.
He didn’t expect her to be sorry; she wasn’t the type. He just wanted her to understand. Her comprehension of his anger would be apology enough.
“Aye!” Caleb called.
“What?”
“I think you should come see this.”
“What is it?”
“Come see.”
He sighed impatiently but got up.
Caleb was in the living room looking out the window. He walked over.
“What was so-
Then he heard a guitar. He looked out the window and there was Morgan with a black guitar draped over her shoulder. When she was that she had his attention, she began to play.
“Later.”
Caleb turned away from the window and left the apartment. Then she began to sing:

Today was gonna be the day
but you’ll never throw back to me
By now I should’ve somehow
realized what I’m not to do
I don’t believe that anybody
feels the way I do about you now
And all the roads we have to walk
are winding
And all the lights that light the way
are blinding
There are many things that I
would like to say to you
but I don’t know how

Dillan left the window and went downstairs and outside. He surveyed her with his eyes. Her black jeans hugged her all the way around, the black fitted tee and revealed her strong upper body. Her blue and black leather jacket completed the picture.

Cuz maybe
you’re gonna be the one that saves me
And after all,
you’re my wonderwall

By the time she got to “wonderwall” he was kissing her. The audience, which had gathered for the show, applauded the unknown reunion. Morgan bowed and allowed Dillan to drag her up to his apartment.

The following week at school was a test of patience for Morgan. She was beginning to find out that Bailey was an easy target for bullies and that she became extremely energetic when she was nervous, what with the show only three days away.
“We’ve never played in front of a crowd before.”
“You’ll be surrounded by friends, Baz,” Morgan comforted using her nickname for Bailey.
“I know but-
“Just think about it like this, all you have to do is play. You can keep your eyes closed. I mean, yes, your back-up vocals practically make the song but if you feel this strongly about it I can go solo, give it a little extra.”
“You really think I make the song?”
“Yeah. You’ve kinda got that Kate Voegele thing going on.”
“But you’ve got, like, the perfect mixture of, like, all the best female rockers ever.”
“Whatever,” Morgan scoffed.
“Morgan.”
“What’s up, Rome?”
“I didn’t know you were advertising the show.”
“We’re not.”
“Someone is,” he said pulling a yellow flyer from his back pocket and handing it to her.


“A fan base,” Morgan said nodding approvingly.
“Is your friend okay?”
“Have I not introduced you two?”
“What? With your great manners?”
“Ba-
When she turned to Bailey, she was sitting on the floor hyperventilating.
Morgan rolled her eyes and squatted down next to her.
“Breath, Baz.”
Rome squatted down behind Bailey and began to rub her shoulders and Morgan smiled as Bailey immediately reverted back to herself.
“The whole school is going to be there.”
“I doubt that. But who cares?”
“How are you so calm?”
“Morgan’s not normal. She suffers from a condition called The Crazies.”
“It’s an acquired skill,” Morgan chimed in.
“It’s not a skill. It’s an abnormality.”
“It’s a skill if you know how to wield it.”
Rome shook his head.
“I can’t do it, Mo. I don’t have The Crazies.”
Morgan narrowed her eyes at Rome as he stifled his laugh.
“You can and you will do it. We’ll get you some honey buns and Monster.”
“I love Monster.”
“I know. You’ll be so hyper you won’t even notice any ridicule that comes from the crowd. We’re gonna kill it.”
Bailey said nothing.
“I’ll be there,” Rome interjected, “And I’ll personally give anyone who has anything negative to say a grade A shiner.”
“Are you with me?” Morgan asked offering her hand.
“Most definitely,” she responded taking the offered hand.
Morgan pulled her to her feet.
“I gotta go. You trouble makers made me later for class.”
“You made yourself late.”
They watched him jog off down the hallway then turned to go to their separate classes.
“Later we’ll talk about your crush on Rome.”
“What?”

Quarter Past was jam packed with its regulars and, unbelievably, loads of kids from SCA. The supporters wore some form of yellow. Others used the opportunity as a fashion show to show what was in their closets at home that they weren’t allowed to where to school due to the uniforms; to flaunt the wealth of their parents.
It was a buzzing atmosphere mixed with hopeful punkers, emos, Goths, grunge, alternatives, classics, and some pop rockers tossed in there. They were all there hoping a band worthy of their ipods and CD collections would unveil itself tonight.
The air was thick with cigarette smoke, alcohol, sweat, and electric intensity. A band was currently singing about their love/hate relationship with a girl named Wendy. Some people were dancing. You couldn’t help but pay attention not the band the way the stage was: the length of the building with a space on each side that led backstage. Bars were on both sides stretching from the spaces by the stage and ended ten feet from the back wall. The only real light was from the stage.
Morgan was standing on the left side of the stage with Dillan. The rest of the group was around and about.
She had on a black polo with an orange and yellow striped tie. Her black skirt and stripped orange and yellow socks were Bailey’s idea along with the black combat boots. The yellow and black leather jacket was her own idea. She’d insisted on having it. Bailey had baited Morgan into wearing the getup by saying that it’d help keep her calm. The skirt was short and she wasn’t too fond of it. Dillan, on the other hand, was fond and more.
“Are you nervous?”
“Not really.”
“Is Baz nervous?”
She looked out into the crowd and spotted a bright yellow stain jumping up and down dancing.
“She’s drunk on Monster so Baz…isn’t. She’ll perform well, though. She’s better than she thinks she is. She has the potential to be lead vocalist. Don’t know why they needed me.”
The current band was officially finished and the workers were setting up Banana Frenzy things.
“You nervous?”
“No, Dillan. If I were, you wouldn’t be helping.”
“Well, I’ll be out here, right in the front.”
“I know, Dillan.”
“Say it again.”
“What?”
“My name.”
There was a loud piercing whistle that managed to be louder than everything else.
“That’s Vic. See you after.”
“Say it first. Please, I don’t think I’ll make it.”
She laughed, “Whatever, Dillan.”
When she turned to go up the stairs he hit her on her butt.
“Break a leg.”
“No thanks.”
Back stage the others had already gathered.
“How ya’ feelin’, Baz?” Morgan asked.
“Great. Why?”
“Just checking.”
“C’mon, guys. We got this,” Andre said.
“What’re we?” Vic shouted.
“A source of potassium!” they all shouted.
“What kind of potassium?”
“The kind that rocks!”
They heard the introduction and went out onto the stage. The crowd was semi-welcoming, yet attentive.
Victor was the unspoken leader of the group and they took their cue from him. So when he began to play they followed. The audience became more involved, cheering as Morgan sang a sorrowful song about loneliness and darkness:

I’m in a dark place
where it’s me and I let no one in
Where I feel most out of place
and the real terror begins
I’m in a dark place
A place where my self-esteem is low
Where I am afraid to move
Where all my fears come true
Where no one likes me
Where I am alone
A place where I am afraid to be

When the song ended Morgan and Bailey let out a simultaneous breath and left the stage to the sound of acceptance.
“Good job, guys. I think we’ll be seeing you again,” the manager said going onto the stage.
“Why to go, Baz!” Morgan said shaking her shoulders.
“Thanks. I can’t believe I just did that.”
“Believe it, sis.”
“And they loved us,” Andre added.
“How do you think they’ll feel when we do a 180 next time?” Morgan asked.
“Who cares?” Andre answered. “It’s a great song. We’re not a goth, emo, or grunge band. Our name says it all.”
“It’s our group. They’ll love us for the songs they like. All that matters is that they buy the CDs,” Victor exclaimed taking that leader role again.
“Okay, manager. I’m going to party now.”
“Likewise.”
They dispersed through the crowd.
Morgan went straight to the bar where she was supposed to meet Dillan.
“A Bacardi, please.”
She took the drink from the bartenders and immediately took a mega chug.
“Great show. You’re a good singer.”
Morgan looked up from the bottle to see who was talking to her.
He was young but an older kind of young, like Wesley. He was average looking: dark eyes, splotchy skinned, buzz cut, and a plaid shirt buttoned half way up.
“Thanks,” she said smiling.
“Who wrote the song?”
“It was a group effort.”
“Can I buy you a drink?”
“Actually, I’m waiting for someone.”
“It’s just a drink.”
“He’s the only one I allow to buy me drinks, really. Sorry. I’m going to go find him.”
“One drink,” he said grabbing her upper arm.
She looked at his hand, ready to take action but Dillan grabbed the guy’s arm.
“It’s me she’s waiting for and you might want to let her go.”
Morgan had never seen him look so furious other than the gun incident at the garage. There was a crease in between his eyebrows and his green eyes were darkened, his jaw set so hard it looked as though it would shatter.
“Or what?”
Dillan’s face only contorted more before he sent the man flying to the floor, his face swelling already. He positioned himself between Morgan and her offender. She eyed his back, shocked.
“Don’t ever come near my girl again or there’ll be more where that came from.”
The man got up and cut through the crowd and out the door.
Dillan was still facing the door so Morgan walked around him and looked up at him.
She put her hands on his face. “Dillan, he’s gone. I’m okay.”
He was shaking but he at least looked at her.
“It’s over, baby” she cautioned.
She moved her hands to his clenched fists and wrapped his arms around her and put her arms around his neck.
“Thank you.”
She felt his open hands return her gesture. He hugged her tightly.
“Of course.”
She kissed him.
“I don’t know what came over me. Seeing that guy with his hands on you…”he trailed off.
“C’mon.”
She grabbed his hand and led him to a dark room back stage.
“I’m right here,” she whispered amid kisses, “and I’m all yours.”
He was hesitant at first because he was still angry but he gave in to her advances, kissing her aggressively; almost too aggressively. Morgan could feel the music pulsating on her back as she let Dillan take his anger out on her body. It was slightly ironic that the current band of chicks was serenading the crowd with lyrics about how destructive love could be.
With every thrust she thought she might burst or that something was bound to tear. She ignored her body’s warnings as pain shot through her hips and lower back. She held in every cry that she wanted to release because she preferred for him to hurt her than for him to hurt anyone else and get into trouble.
He calmed down by the end of the next band. He stood with his hands on his hips, catching his breath while Morgan leaned against a wall with her eyes closed.
“I’ll go grab some water.”
“Vodka straight,” she corrected.
“Be right back.”
When he left, she went down to her knees and moaned in sheer pain. She rolled onto her side groaning, taking deep breaths.
“There you are. I saw Dil-
She looked up at Rome in horror.
“I know what you’re thinking. It’s not what it looks like.”
His face frowned up.
Morgan felt like she was going to cry. Two guys she cared about upset within the hour.
“Then explain it to me, Morgan.”
“He was angry because this guy grabbed me. He hit the guy and they guy left. Dillan was still angry. I just wanted to calm him down.”
“By letting him beat on you?”
“He didn’t hit me. We had sex and he was more aggressive than usual.”
“So you let him hurt you.”
“Better than him taking his anger out on someone else and getting into serious trouble. He doesn’t know.”
“How could he not? He’s your loving boyfriend.”
“I’m a good actress.”
He shook his head.
“You’re one of my best friends, Rome. This is confidential. You cannot tell Dillan. This was my choice. He didn’t do it on purpose.”
“He should’ve waited! He doesn’t know his own strength? He’s built like a cop so he should.”
Despite the present topic, she found it peculiar that he’d say that.
“I wouldn’t have done this to you.”
“Said the football player. You’re bigger than Dillan.”
Rome sighed, defeated.
“He would never knowingly hurt me. Promise me, Rome.”
She waited while many expressions rolled across his conflicted face.
“I promise.”
“I think you should have the water first,” Dillan suggested, re-entering their hiding place.
“We’ll talk later,” Rome said leaving.
“I’ll take the vodka.”

The next day, Dillan showed up to the shop and Morgan was putting antifreeze into the Lancer.
He put his arms around her waist, “Hey, there.”
“Ow,” she flinched and recoiled away.
“What’s wrong?”
She laughed lightly, “Dillan. Nothing.”
“Yes, there is.”
“I fell last night,” she lied.
“How?”
“I don’t know. It was dark.”
“Well, what hurts? Maybe-
“Stop interrogating me!”
“Fine. Sorry for caring.”
He looked distressed.
“Dillan.”
The pain was obvious on her face but it was physical and mental. Her blue eyes were soft as she silently apologized for blowing up at him.
“Is it something I’ve done? I don’t remember. I didn’t have that many drinks last night. What did I do?”
This is why she didn’t want to tell him. He was beating himself up already.
“It’s not your fault, okay?”
“Then whose fault is it?”
“Mine. I wasn’t thinking.”
“Tell me so I’ll never do it again.”
She said nothing as he looked at her hopefully.
“I can handle it,” he said reaching out but pulling back.
She hugged herself, “You were angry. I’d never seen you like that. It looked like you scared yourself. I just wanted to make you feel better. I wanted to let you know that I felt protected. You weren’t yourself. I wanted to let you know that I liked how you stood up for me.”
“I was too rough.”
She looked up at him then, “I didn’t mind.”
“Still. I hurt you after protecting you.”
“I let you.”
“Of course you did. You had my best interest at heart while I was putting you in so much pain that you’d be sore the next day. How considerate of me.”
“Don’t do this.”
She put her hands on his face but he removed them.
“I did this to you.”
“Dillan.”
He stepped away from her and her face sagged with sadness.
“Dillan, it’s not your fault.”
“Maybe I’m the one that’s wrong for you.”

After the small, yet large, ordeal with Dillan, Morgan drove over to Bailey’s.
“Hey, Mo—What’s wrong? What is it?”
She began to cry as Bailey held her in the doorway.
“Mo.”
“I think Dillan broke up with me” she sobbed into Bailey’s shoulder.
“Dillan loves you. Maybe it was a misunderstanding.”
“He’s not answering my calls and I went by his place and he’s not there.”
“Baz?”
“You’ve got everyone calling me Baz now.”
“I gotta go,” Morgan sniffled.
She turned to leave when Victor came to the door.
Bailey ran upstairs and grabbed some of her things.
“Tell mom I’m spending the night at Morgan’s and going to school from there.”
He saluted her as she expertly jumped into Morgan’s moving vehicule.
Once they settled in Morgan’s room- Morgan lying on her back in her bed and Bailey sitting in a chair next to the bed with her legs crosses- Bailey got the whole story.
“Did you consider that he may just need time to think about what you said? Right now, he’s feeling like a monster but once he gives your perspective, your feelings on the matter some serious thought…he’ll come to his senses. He loves you, that’s why he feels so horrible. He just has to remember that you love him right back.”
Morgan was silent but she felt better. She was glad Bailey had chased after her. Dillan hadn’t broken up with her; he just needed space to think.
“Don’t tell Rome about this, okay?”
“I won’t.”
Morgan sat up, feeling lighter.
“Whoo.”
“Does Rome like you?”
“So you want to talk about it now?”
“Mo?”
Morgan regarded her earnestly.
“He used to but-“
She was about to say they were more like siblings until she remembered what he’d said when he found her yesterday night.
“But?”
“We’re just friends now. Once he found out I was with Dillan, he backed off.”
“So if you weren’t with Dillan-
“Let’s call him.”
“No!”
“Too late. It’s ringing.”
“Hang up!”
“What’s up, Mo?”
“Hey, Rome.”
“What’s going on?”
“I was wondering, do you still like me?”
She put the speaker on and prayed that he would say the right thing.
“It’s kinda hard to like a girl with a boyfriend and who doesn’t see you that way.”
“Is that a yes or no?”
“I still think you’re hot but my feelings for you are pretty nonexistent.”
“Ya don’t say,” she said slowly looking at Bailey.
“What are you up to?”
“I have this friend and she is only the cutest girl and I think you’d make the cutest couple, besides Dillan and I of course.”
“Why is that?”
“Well, you’re all big and strong and confident and slow whereas she’s timid and shy and somewhat, only somewhat, insecure and she’s smart.”
“Good point. Who is she?”
“You know her. She’s-
“Bailey.”
She flinched at the sound of her name. Morgan winked and gave her the thumbs up.
“So you agree that she’s cute.”
She could hear him smiling, “Yeah. It’s hard to individualize yourself in uniforms but she stands out. Definitely.”
“What else do you like about her?”
“Those pink streaks in her hair. She’s like our own Avril Lavigne. Oh, and I like how even though she feels insecure about stuff, she trust her friends when they comfort her and she goes for it without fear.”
“Umm, why haven’t you asked her out already?”
“I don’t know. She probably likes hardcore rock guys who can take her to Styx concerts. Not jocks.”
“Styx,” Bailey mouthed.
Morgan shrugged, “I’m not even going to correct you about Styx but she makes you insecure?”
“Football players don’t feel insecure,” he said strongly.
“Ask her out, Rome.”
“But-
“Call her now!”
Morgan hung up.
“You think he’s gonna call?”
“He’s a guy who’s gotten the go-ahead from the girl he likes bff. He’ll call.”
Bailey’s phone rang.
“Don’t! Five second courtesy.”
Bailey waited then picked up the phone and pressed “speaker”.
“Hello?”
“Hey, Baz. It’s Rome.”
“Oh, hey, Rome.”
“Hi. What’re you doing?”
Bailey had to stiffly her laughter when Morgan had mouthed Rome’s question with him.
“Nothing. What’s up?”
“Morgan’s got this idea in her head that I should ask you out, ya know. Like on a date.”
“Morgan?”
“Yeah.”
“So you’re calling because Morgan told you to?”
“Yes, uh, no, no. I’m calling because I like you and I’d like you even more if you’d let me take you out.
“Nice recovery,” Morgan mouthed.
“Nice recovery,” Bailey said.
“That sounds like something Morgan would say.
“I’d love to go out with you, Rome.”
“Great. We’ll talk more tomorrow at school?”
“Okay. Yeah.”
“Bye.”
“Bye.”
She and Morgan high-fived each other when she hung up.
“Rome’s a good guy.”
“I think so took,” Bailey agreed.

At school the next day, they were all sitting in the cafeteria when Morgan was called to the office.
“Dad. What’re you doing here?”
“I’ve got bad news.”
She knew it had to be pretty bad