Saved By Her Guitar

Chapter Two

She’d been in class for all of one week and she was already the talk of the school: two fights and going off on the principal would do that; plus the fact that almost everyone has seen her speed out of the parking lot after school.
Right now was no different. She was currently on all fours trying to catch her breath in front of the school.
“I can fight, but you sir, are on a whole ‘nother level.”
The other girl punched her in the face again.
“You think it’s funny?” the girl sneered and kicked her.
“Yes because technically his tongue was in my mouth,” she laughed.
It just so happens that Dillan was driving pass. When he saw her, he pulled over and got out.
“Hey!”
Morgan looked up, “Dillan. What’re you doing here?”
“Yeah, dude. What are you doing here?” a boy said stepping toward him.
“I’m the…boyfriend.”
“And I’m the best friend,” a dirty-blond haired boy said getting out of Dillan’s car with a pipe.
“Don’t worry, Dillan,” Morgan breathed. “It doesn’t even hurt anymore.”
“You boys might wanna keep moving,” Dillan’s friend said, “and take the Cyclops with you.” He pointed at the girl.
“Whatever. Let’s go.”
“Come on. Up and at’em.”
He picked her up and headed toward his car.
“My car…can’t leave him.”
He looked toward the school lot.
“Caleb, take my car home.”
“Got it.”
“Where?”
She pointed her car out.
“I’ll drive-
“No. I’m fine.”
“I’m not arguing with you.” He pulled her keys from her pocket and sat her in the passenger side and got in the driver’s seat.
“Whoa.”
When he started the car, a panel slid away to reveal a touch screen. He looked over at Morgan, who’d passed out, and smiled.

“Dude, she got the crap kicked out of her,” Caleb said laughing.
“Shut up! I don’t think she even cared. This girl, man.”
“Your girlfriend.”
Dillan was silent.
Morgan groaned and rolled over.
Caleb stood over her, “She’s waking up.”
Morgan woke up and looked into Caleb’s face.
“From the look of you, I can see why you don’t understand that this is my face you’re very close to. I can fill your breath.”
He looked at her sideways.
She pushed him and sat up, “Personal space, dipstick.”
“Caleb, man. Back off!”
“Whatever. I’ll be in the kitchen.”
Morgan watched Caleb leave the room.
“Your friend’s creepy. I don’t like him.”
“He’s cool.”
“By the way, I’m a great judge of character…he’s a less threatening version of Teddy Bundy.”
“Serial killer.”
“Not just any serial killer. He was suspected to have murdered at least a hundred women.”
He smiled wonderingly.
“That’s officially his new name.”
He laughed.
“Where are my keys? I gotta go.”
“What?”
“If I’m gonna get back to Pasadena I have to behave in New York. My father would not call my being tardy coming home behaving. I must go.”
“’You must go’?”
“Every now and then that private school education sneaks out. My keys.”
“Obviously. Teddy Bundy?”
She blushed, “Make me feel like a freak.”
“No. It’s good, you’re smart.”
“Sure.”
“Why don’t you hang?”
“Why don’t you give me what’s mine? What’s your problem?!”
“Maybe I don’t want you going back to Pasadena. Maybe I figure I’ll never see you again if you leave here. Maybe-
“Maybe, nooo. It’s a fact that I don’t know neither you nor your creepy friend, Teddy Bundy. It’s becoming very clear to me that you aren’t on the up and up, you and your little chop shop occupation. Your refusing to oblige is not impressive. On the contrary, it’s very infuriating. Now, my keys if you’d please.”
His eyebrows raised in wonder, “Private school, indeed.”
He pulled her keys from his pocket and dropped them in her open hand.
She headed for the door.
“Coffee after school tomorrow? I can follow you in my car,” he reasoned.
She didn’t turn, “Call me.” She left.
“So how was the sex?”
Dillan turned to face Caleb. “What’re you talking about?”
“She’s hot. The only reason that I stared at her like that was because her blue eyes are in a black face. That’s ours.”
“That’s racist.”
“They could be contacts.”
“Could be but I don’t think so.”
“So, come on. Tell me!”
“What?”
“The sex.”
“There was no sex.”
“Is it because you don’t know how?”
He smiled, “Shut up. We’re having a drink tomorrow.”
“I see. Then the sex.”

Morgan walked into the house.
“I know I’m late! I got held up at scho- ah!” she screamed.
“Your father’s not here.”
“God, Brooklyn. I almost killed you.”
“I made dinner.”
“If I wanted to die, I’d go to the local bridge and have a jump fest. I’ll be in my room.”
“But-
“I’m not eating anything you’ve cooked, ever. I don’t even wanna live under the same roof as you let alone have to converse with you; let alone have to tolerate you.”
Michelle grabbed her arm, “Listen, little girl-
Morgan no longer heard Michelle due to her blind rage. She also didn’t hear the front door opening as she punched Michelle in the face.
“Morgan! Are you crazy?!”
“She touched me; in a I-mean-you-harm kinda way.”
“No, there is no excuse. You never hit her, ever! You never put your hands on her!”
“Okay. She didn’t hit me before you walked in.”
“Did she?”
Morgan rolled her eyes, “Well, no but you didn’t know that. You always assume the worse of me.”
“It seems I’m always right. I’ll take these,” he said snatching her keys.
“That’s a dirty trick. I wasn’t ready.”
He smiled smug.
“That’s my car!”
“My money.”
She made an indecipherable sound then had a mini tantrum. She looked at her father in disbelief then went to her room.
“No fair,” she breathed.