Saved By Her Guitar

Chapter Six

In the following weeks, Morgan and Dillan only grew closer. And even though neither was saying it, Dillan out of respect for Morgan, they were deep in love. They couldn’t keep their hands to themselves. Morgan’s cars had to be moved to a separate room just so she and Dillan could get some work done.
He had disappeared for a few days once and she’d felt lost and incomplete. When he had returned, even before she saw him, she felt his presence and it sent her mood skyrocketing.
On the other hand, Morgan’s relationship with her father had been on the rocks. He’d been complaining about her coming in late and the mysterious money he’d found in her room. She was frequently tardy at school and was repeatedly seen leaving the premises early.
He’d told her a friend of his had seen her out with a boy who he was sure was her boyfriend. When he confronted her about anything, she denied it. And that’s what she was currently doing.
“No, I’m not!”
“Then why did I find so many?”
“Because they were tossing them out like chocolate quarters. I think the better question is what were you doing in my room?”
“As the parent, if my child isn’t talking to me, I have the right to invade her privacy. Now, what do you plan on doing with these condoms?”
“Nothing!”
“Do you plan on using them with this boy?”
He held up a picture of her and Dillan.
“I wondered where that went.”
“Do you?”
“Don’t push me,” she warned setting her jaw.
“You are too young for sex.”
“Says my father.”
“Your mother agrees.”
“Says my father.”
“Morgan-
“Dad, I’m not having sex. My virginity is still in tact. What do you think I’m stupid? I’m not trying to get pregnant. Yes, I am dating this boy but we’re not doing anything. A few kisses here and there but nothing serious. I’m going to be late for school.”
She headed for the door, “Don’t wait up.”
She closed the door before he could respond.

At school she found herself in in-school suspension with Rome.
“So how are things with the white boy?”
She smiled at her paper, “I’m half white so-
“How are things?”
“If you’re looking for me to say we’re barely hanging on, don’t hold your breath. We’re quite the opposite.”
“Roman,” the teacher warned.
He went back to his assignment but not for long.
“Quite the opposite, huh?”
“Yeah. I really like him.”
“Or you love him.”
“It’s too soon.”
“Love doesn’t operate under human standards.”
She raised an eyebrow at him.
“What? It’s true.”
“I guess.”
“I don’t attempt to conquer love. It you tell me that you love him, I won’t argue. On the other hand…you know.”
“I’ll get back to you.”
After school, she drove over to the shop where she’d almost finished the engine of the Lancer.
“Is he back yet?”
“No!” everyone answered together.
Dillan had gone out of town a week ago on business and he was supposed to be back today.
“Come get me when he shows.”
“Sure thing,” Caleb said.
“Is Wes here?”
“In his office.”
She ran up the stairs and knocked on the door.
“Come in.”
“Hey, Wes-
“He’s not back yet.”
“I know. I wanted to know about a car.”
He motioned for her to sit. “What kind?”
“An M3.”
“BMW.”
“I really want one. Are there any on the list?”
“There is but there’s nothing special about it.”
“I’ll take it as is.”
He walked over to the map and took the picture down.
“She’s all yours. Everything you need to know is on the back.”
“I really appreciate this.”
“No problem.”
She left his office and went into her lone garage. She had to admit, she’d gotten a lot done with Dillan gone but she still missed him immensely. All she could do was wait and keep progressing on her car. So she focused her energy and attention to the car.
After about an hour she pulled her head from under the hood.
“Here it is.”
She took the keys from around her neck and got in.
“Do it for mama.”
She kissed the key then put it in the ignition.
“One potato, two potato, three potato, four; five potato, six potato, mighty engine roar!” she chanted then turned the key.
The engine reeved for a second then started up.
“Whoooo!”
She jumped up and down in celebration.
“You got it going.”
She turned to see Dillan walking toward her. She ran to him and he caught her in his arms.
“Dillan. It seems like forever.”
“He kissed her, “I got something for you.”
“He pulled out a black box from his coat pocket and gave it to her.
“What is it?”
“Open it,” he laughed.
When she did, she smiled, “I love it.”
“Let me.”
He took the necklace from the box and secured it around her neck. The small key shaped necklace was filled with black and blue diamonds placed in a silver gold holding.
She looked at him and truly understood how much she’s missed his curious clear green eyes on her, watching her, wanting her. She ran her fingertips over the stubble of his jaw by habit.
He smiled, “You’re quiet.”
“Just,” she paused searching for the right words, “grasping this. I’m accepting us, this for what it is, we are,” she stumbled.
“Yeah?”
“Your being gone, not here, it just really made me think. And your being back solidifies what I tried to deny.”
She searched his eyes to see if he was with her.
“I love you, Dillan Grey.”
He smiled brighter than she’d ever seen.
“I love you, too, Morgan McCall.”
He pulled her closer and kissed her deeply.
“I love you, Morgan.”
She touched his face again.
He grabbed her hand, “And I really l miss you doing that. It’s not the same when another girl-
“Another girl?”
“No. Well, yes but she was just saying that I needed to shave. But I know how you like it so I didn’t. Don’t worry. She was just some business chick.”
“I’m not worried just a little apprehensive.”
“It’s only you until I take my last breath.”

Later that night, Dillan’s car sat on a street where the BMW was. It was a cold night so he’d left his car idling to keep warm.
That wasn’t really necessary considering that his seat was leaning all the way back and Morgan was on top of him. Her shirt was up to her shoulders thanks to Dillan’s hands and his shirt was in the back seat due to her enthusiasm.”
“We’re never in either of our places when we do this stuff,” he said in between kisses.
“Spontaneity is more fun,” she breathed.
Then she undid his jeans and hers.
“Whoa!” he gasped sitting up.
“What?”
“I think it’s just your adrenaline pumping.”
“I’m ready.”
“No one’s ready for their first time to be in a car.”
“Dillan’s car.”
He smiled, “In due time.”
He leaned back again and put his hands on her butt to pull her back to him. He put his hand at the back of her neck and brought her mouth to his and kissed her with much feeling.
It made him feel good that she listened to him. And with her kissing him back the way she was, there were no hard feelings. She’d listened to him because she wanted to; because she valued his opinion and most importantly, because she loved and trusted him.
His lips moved to her neck then they heard a knock on the window.
Morgan looked around, “You turned the defrost off?!”
“How was I supposed to know we’d end up doing this?”
“Touche, I guess.”
They looked out the window and saw a cop.
“Great.”
Dillan let the window down after Morgan had moved over.
“I need you kids to step out of the car.”
Dillan pulled on his shirt and Morgan straightened her clothes before they got out.
“Now, what’re you-
Dillan dug back into the car for his coat and put it around Morgan.
She smiled.
“You love each other, don’t you?”
“Yes, sir.”
“No hesitation from the boy. You’ve trained him well. How long have you been together?”
“Two months,” Dillan answered.
“Only two months and its love already?” he questioned disbelieving.
Morgan’s right hand went up and grabbed the necklace, “True love,” she whispered.
Normally she was more aggressive when it came to the police but she’d always been a big believer in the male spouse taking the lead; within reason of course.
“So, what’re you kids doing out here?”
Dillan looked at Morgan, “Tell him.”
She raised an eyebrow at him, “Well, sir, neither of us live out this way. I suggested we go somewhere there’d be less of a chance of us getting caught by someone we knew.”
“She’s the brains of the operation,” Dillan added.
“Okay but I’m sure you know better.”
“We do.”
He stared at them in the street light. They were still young and young love was the most destructive. They seemed like good kids and he silently hoped things would work out for them.
“Alright, get lost. I don’t wanna see this car over here again.”
“Righty-o, officer,” Dillan said happily.
They got in his car and drove away.
“Tomorrow we drive my car,” Morgan mumbled.
“And park on the next street over.”
He dropped her off at home and she was a little more than shocked when she walked into the suite and found her father up and about.
“Great.”
“I’m not even going to ask.”
“You’re learning,” she sang smiling.
“I’m going out of town for three days. All I ask is that you show Michelle the proper respect while I’m gone.”
“I can’t even spell proper therefore I don’t know what it is hence decimating any chance that she shall receive said ‘proper respect.’”
“At least that private school education isn’t going to waste.”
“Of course not.”
“Please, Morgan. Do this one thing for me.”
“Fine. It’ll be like I’m not even here.” She smiled.
“Thank you. I’ll be gone when you wake up. Goodnight.”
“You’ll probably be back when I wake up.” She stretched.
He smiled at her remembering how much he’d loved her sense of humor before it became coarse sarcasm.
“Hey, go to school every day that I’m gone.”
“Being specific. Dang you,” she teased enjoying the moment.
“Be good.”
“I’ll try just for you. Goodnight.”
“Goodnight.”
Unfortunately, at the sake of that rare moment they’d just shared, Morgan was going to disappoint him. She didn’t plan on staying in the house with Barbie alone for three whole days. She’d rather live in her car for the time being and that’s what she’d do.
When she got to her room, she packed a duffle and kicked it under her bed. She lay down and let the warmth of her father’s smile lull her to sleep.

The next day after school, Morgan began to strip the paint on the car. It was hard work so she changed into comfortable black basketball shorts and a blue tank top. She’d brought in a boom box that was currently crooning out one of her favorite bands.
“Hey, what’s with your Rabbit?” Dillan asked pausing her music.
She stopped what she was doing and stood up.
“What do you mean?” she replied wiping the sweat from her neck.
“There are clothes everywhere and the contents of your book bag.”
“Oh, my dad went out of town and I wasn’t going to be cooped up in that house with that lady for three days. It’s a temporary situation until Friday at least.”
“You’re sleeping in your car?” he chuckled, dubious.
“Just for a couple days,” she clarified. “It’s not like I’m living in it.”
“No. Why didn’t you tell me?”
“Dillan, it’s not important. I’ll be fine.”
“I’m sure but you know you can come stay with me.”
“Yeah, in the same place as Caleb. I wouldn’t trust to sleep.”
“You’ll be sleeping with me so you won’t have to worry about him.”
“…Sleeping? With you?”
“Yeah.”
“In the same bed? Overnight?”
“Yes, unless you’d be uncomfortable. I could crash in the guess room.”
“It’s your bed.”
“I know but-
“I’m fine in my car but thanks for the concern.”
“Most girls would be thrilled to stay overnight at their boyfriend’s house.”
She opened her mouth to speak but he cut her off.
“But then again, you aren’t most girls.”
“Precisely.”
He cocked his head perplexed. “The offer stays on the table.
She pulled the remote from her pocket, started the music again and went back to work.

When it started getting late, she regretted working vigorously because now she needed a shower and a comfortable bed.
“Home it is.”
As soon as she walked through the door, Michelle was waiting.
“It’s eleven o’clock.”
“So you can tell time,” Morgan said bypassing her.
She grabbed Morgan’s arm.
“Remember what happened last time you put your hands one me.”
“Remember what your father did.”
“It was well worth it and it’ll be well worth it again.”
She released her.
“Smart girl,” Morgan complimented.
“He and I talked before he left.”
“I have no doubt. Promises of proper respect and all that jazz, right?”
“Right.”
“The only way I can respect you is by ridding myself of your presence.”
There was a pause as they both considered this. Then Morgan turned and walked out.

“Morgan.”
“Try not to look so pleased.”
“Come in,” Dillan prompted.
“What’re you two still doing up?”
“Playstation.”
“I see.”
“Let me take your duffle.”
“I need it. Bathroom?”
He pointed. “And that’s my room.”
“Gotcha.”
She went into the bathroom.
“Surprisingly clean.”
She immediately hopped in the shower.
“Yes,” she sighed when the hot water hit her.

“Tonight’s the night,” Caleb said.
“If it was, you wouldn’t be here.”
“True.”
Morgan came out an hour late in a robe. Dillan stood up.
“Is this-
“Yeah, it’s mine.”
She smiled, “Good.”
His eyes softened. He put his hand through his hair and smiled lazily.
“Do you have lotion?”
“Most definitely,” Caleb snorted.
As if just noticing Caleb there, she pulled the robe tighter around herself.
“Kitchen table.”
She retrieved it then went into his room and shut the door.
“I’ll leave.”
“No!” Dillan said sitting down. “It won’t be tonight.”
Later that night when Caleb had retired to his bedroom Dillan went into the guest room and lay down. About an hour later he felt someone shaking him.
“Dillan?”
He sat up, wide awake, “What’s wrong?”
“Nothing,” Morgan said through a sleepy smile.
“What is it?”
“This isn’t your room.”
“But-
“C’mon.”
He followed her through the living room silently drooling over her purple boy shorts and white tank top.
He sat on the edge of bed. “Do you mind?”
He indicated his shirt. She shrugged and lay down. She did, however, sneak a glance at his bare torso. It wasn’t like she hadn’t seen him shirtless before, just not in this type of atmosphere.
After taking off his jeans he pulled on a pair of shorts.
“You play soccer?’
“I’m Irish.”
“Yum.”
He lay down. He was unsure of himself. He didn’t want to sleep so far away from her but he didn’t want to pursue her and give her the wrong idea.
He sighed quietly.
“It’s okay,” she whispered.
He rolled over and pulled her to him, her back to his chest.
“Goodnight.”
“Goodnight.”

In the morning, she woke up before Dillan. She was determined to at least go to school considering she was now technically ‘sleeping’ with Dillan.
She went into the fridge looking for something quick to eat.
“Guys,” she muttered.
Then she felt a hand on her side and jumped.
“Hey there, good lookin.”
“Caleb! What the hell?!”
“You don’t want to wake Dillan.”
“Why you even up? It’s seven o’clock.”
“Tell the truth. You were hoping I’d wake up too so we could have some alone time.”
“You’re right,” she said sensually, approaching him.
He smiled.
“Then I could kill you with no witnesses.”
She pushed him and went back into Dillan’s room.
“Stupid boy,” she whispered to the door.
She got ready for school, kissed Dillan then left.

“Hey. I didn’t see you yesterday,” Morgan said to Rome.
“I had another day of in-school.”
“You’re too troubled for private school.”
“Look who’s talking.”
They hugged.
“I don’t get caught as often if at all.”
“So why’d you have in-school?”
“Accumulating tardies and absences.”
“Ah.”
She nodded her head pleased.
“So, is it love?” he wondered.
“You guys are too into me and I don’t mean that in a conceited way. I think it’s the eyes. If they were a normal brown I wouldn’t be having this effect.”
“You’d be the same person.”
“Most likely but my eyes are what draw you in. Blue in a black face or rather, a caramel face.”
“You can barley tell you’re half white. It’s stunning and odd but in a good way.”
He touched her face.
“But about Dillan,” she said distracting him.
“Love? Like?”
“Love,” she said smiling and wrapping her arms around herself.
He watched her, “I see it. I can tell. That’s unfortunate for me. We could’ve did some things.”
“I’ll bet.”

Morgan was sitting on the couch next to Dillan watching a movie.
“Are you cold?” he asked her.
“No. Why?”
“You got your knees up to your chest hugging yourself.”
“So? I’m comfortable. Besides-
She was interrupted by her phone.
“Hi, Daddy,” she answered merrily.
“Michelle says you didn’t come home last night.”
“Not true. I-
“She says you came in late, left right back out and haven’t been home since.”
“Oh. Well, yeah.”
“Where are you staying?”
“My car.”
“Your car?” he repeated incredulously.
“Don’t knock it. My Rabbit is a hatchback. I put the backseats down and BAM! Automatic bed. It’s very comfortable. And,” she said with emphasis, “it’s transportable.”
“Morgan,” he groaned.
“Dad, I’m respecting her by staying away. I don’t like her. What do you want from me? I’m trying.”
“Just stay out of trouble and be home when I get there Saturday morning.”
“Deal.”
She hung up.
“Comfortable?”
“My car is everything I need him to be, hater.”
“Hater?”
“I’m sleeping at home tomorrow. The least I can do is be there when he gets back. But I was thinking we could go grab that M3 before I go in. That was she’ll be sleep when I get in.”
“Cool.”
“What was it about me that-
“The attitude.”
She looked at him sideways.
“I knew you’d ask me eventually.”
“My attitude.”
“I hadn’t gotten a look at you. All I saw was your back and you holding the gun. I’d heard your smart mouth. And I like the way you decided to keep your eyes on the three threats instead of turning to the new one. Quick decision making turns me on.”
She laughed and kissed him.
“What was that for?”
“For being a minority.”
“Ladies and gentlemen.”
Caleb sauntered into the apartment with Zaria close behind. She didn’t look at Morgan or Dillan.
“What’s up, bro; bro’s girlfriend?”
“What’s up, man?”
“You not gonna speak, Morgan?”
“Did you say something Dillan?”
“Fine. But I still love you. C’mon, Z.”
They disappeared behind his door.
“You’re going to let him talk to me like that knowing how I feel about him?”
“He’s been drinking. He’s harmless.”
“So is an anaconda.”
“I’m sorry, baby.”
He moved closer and picked her up and put her on his lap.
“I’m sorry.”
She sighed heavily. “I know.”
“I’m tired. Let’s crash.”
“Okay.”

Shelton met his detective friend before he went home Saturday.
“How’s it going, Shelton?”
“I’m spying on my daughter so you tell me.”
“You’re just concerned.”
“So, let’s get to it.”
“These pictures could mean nothing. They only tell half the story.”
“Right.”
“You already know this boy,” the man said putting a picture of Morgan and Dillan holding hands on the table.”
“The boyfriend.”
“His name’s Dillan. He’s nineteen.”
“Dillan.”
“How about this one?”
One of the pictures showed Morgan hugging Rome. The next was of just Rome.
“He goes to her school. His name is Roman, he’s seventeen and he plays football. It’s obvious he likes her. Do you want me to keep going or have you seen enough?”
“I’m a big boy, Ray.”
“These three are Martin, James and Terrance. They’re all sixteen and go to the local high school. They’re into cars. They’re just kids. I’d catch her with them but I could never get a clear shot of her with them.”
“All these guys.”
“Here’s another. His name’s Wesley. He’s an older guy who seems quite fond of her.”
“Older?”
“He’s about twenty-four, twenty-five.”
“What?!”
“The thing they all have in common, aside from Rome, is their love for cars.”
“Does she ever disappear with them?”
“I can’t tell you what she and Rome are doing in school. The three musketeers do disappear behind closed doors with her pretty often. The same goes for Wesley. Dillan’s her boyfriend so…”
“I can’t believe this.”
“Has she given you reason to assume the worst?”
Shelton laughed.
“I’ll take that as a yes.”
“She comes in when ever she feels like it, late usually. Leaving school early, being late to school. Fighting and getting arrested. I found a lot of condoms and money in her room, too much money.”
He rested his head in his hands.
“It might not be what you think.”
“It’s all pointing to prostitution. My karate kid.”