Helping Angels

Silence of the Dead

Glacie sat on the couch in the living room looking over a map charted down with all the locations of werewolf encampments. But only one had the blue star marked over it, which meant that they were ready to do more than just set up cameras to watch them, it was finally time to move in. They’d been spying on this particular group for the past month and Glacie was anxious to get there and exterminate ever last werewolf there.

She hated werewolves, for it was a werewolf that had taken her parents away from her so long ago, and she was determined to find the one that had and make him feel pain. Getting up from the couch, she went over to the gun cabinet and pulled out her favorite weapon of all, a repeating riffle. Opening the cartridge she saw that it hadn’t been reloaded since their last operation. Grabbing the bag of newly bought ammo, she grabbed out ten bullets and began reloaded her gun.

With every bullet she placed into the cartridge, flashes of her parents corpses popped into her head. Back before they had been murdered, Glacie had been the type of person that just never seemed to get angry or upset; she was always happy. Setting aside her gun, Glacie got up and went out to the porch where Duchess, their faithful husky, lounged on the swing chair. Her black and white fur glistened in the light of the setting sun, her brilliant blue eyes hidden behind her closed eyelids.

Glacie had hoped to see Annette and Daniel driving back from town, but there was no sign of any vehicles coming this way. Sighing Glacie went back inside and decided to clean some of the guns sitting next to the couch; Daniel had been meaning to clean them all day but conveniently had left to town with Annette before doing so. And just as Glacie had expected, Daniel and Annette came driving up just as she finished cleaning the last shot gun.

“What took you guys so long?” Glacie asked as she walked out to the front porch to greet her family.

“We needed to pick up some extra equipment,” Daniel said holding a new tape-recorder above his head as he got out of the car, “I was looking over our surveillance videos and noticed that one of the werewolf encampments was unaccounted for. So, I assume that those wolves broke the recorder, or somethin’ just not sure yet. On the way to the extermination, I was planning and stopping by the other encampment.”

“Fine, but we really need to get things going if we’re going to get this done tonight,” Glacie said walking back into the house to get the rest of her things together. She wasn’t too thrilled that Annette and Daniel had taken their precious time in town, but there was nothing she could do to change it now.

Annette was the first of her siblings to walk through the door, her arms loaded down with bags of groceries and tranquilizer darts. Even though they all enjoyed nothing more than to blow all the wolves sky high, they always had to keep one alive in hopes their torcher techniques were strong enough to make him or her talk. So far though, not a one survived long enough to answer the one question burning in the back of all their minds, where was the lycan that killed their parents twelve years ago?

“Glacie did you clean the guns?” Daniel asked as he walked into the house. Seeing as the guns were no longer lined up next to the couch it should have been a no brainer. In fact Glacie was certain he already knew the answer and just gave him an annoyed glance before heading back to her room to get changed. Tonight she was going to be hunting, and that mean dressing the part. After changing, another hour of gathering the remain stuff together and waiting for Annette to graciously take her time getting changed, all the siblings piled into their 1990 Jeep Cherokee. For the next three hours Glacie just sat in the back seat, her feet propped up on the back of Annette’s seat, leaning her head against the window staring out at the night sky.

“Do you mind,” Annette finally complained. She was getting tired of the awkward angle her head had been resting in due to the bump in her head rest where Glacie’s feet rested.

“Sorry, I just don’t have any room to place my feet back here,” Glacie said pushing herself back into a sitting position and folding her legs under herself. “We really need to clean the Cherokee next chance we get. Piles of dirty clothes, food wrappers, and other such things came all the way up to the seat.

“Yeah, I’ve been meaning to do that,” Daniel said rubbing his head, “but you know me.”

“Yep, when it comes to cleaning you always seem to forget until I finally do it for you,” Annette grumbled.

“You do it?” Glacie said with a sarcastic laugh. “I’m the one that is always cleaning up after you two. Some examples for me you guys turned out for me.”

“Hey, I clean up after myself just fine I’ll have you know,” Annette stated turning in her seat to look Glacie in the eyes. “It’s not my fault you’re OCD about keeping thing supremely clean. All I have to do is set down an empty chip bag and in the span of second you materialize from nowhere to, quote unquote, clean up my mess.”

“Yeah yeah,” Glacie just rolled her eyes. Daniel laughed at the two, this was a normal thing.

“Okay back to business you two,” Daniel said. “Before we get to the settlement with the near Wheatland, we need to stop by the other group. Something has to be wrong with our cameras cause everything has gone silent there.”

“How long ago did that happen?” Annette asked.

“It’s been at least two days,” he answered. “I’m not exactly sure what happened to our equipment, but I plan on finding out.” It took another hour and a half til they finally arrived and parked the Jeep. Climbing out of the back seat, Glacie stretched her cramped up legs with a quiet groan. Annette decided to wait for the two to fix their surveillance system.

Daniel slung his hiking pack over his shoulder and lead the way while Glacie shoulder her shot gun, her pistol strapped to her left thigh. It was a good half hour hike before the came to a clearing, and what they found there shocked them. Tents were thrown all over the place, half eaten corpses scattered everywhere, and this wasn’t even where the campsite had been when they had set up their cameras only five days prior.

“Do you think someone else was watching them?” Glacie said, her voice seeming loud in the dead silence of the clearing.

“I don’t know,” Daniel said walking forward into the carnage. “Who or what ever did this must have struck hard and fast. The bodies are so decayed thanks to the local wild life I can’t even tell how they died. Oh well, just one last pack we need to deal with. Come on, lets go.”

“What about the camperas?” Glacie asked.

“Someone found them before we got here,” Daniel stated holding up a busted camera.