Under A Paper Moon

chapter 18

Ava’s POV

“The guys don’t have any food allergies do they?” Gen asks me as we are preparing dinner, she is making lasagne and I’m making a salad to go with it.
“Nope, they all eat just about anything. Well Alex is allergic to shellfish but other than that no.” I reply.
“There’s no seafood in the lasagne so I think we should be fine” she says.
“You know Jack’s completely obsessed with Lasagne right?” I say.
“It is? I wasn’t aware.” she says.
“So you’re not making it specially for him then?” I ask.
“Ok so maybe part of the reason I’m making Lasagne is because I know he likes it, but the main reason is that its big enough to serve all of us and if there is any left over I can portion it and put it in the freezer for a later date…cause sometimes if I have had a long day at work I really don’t wanna cook when I come home.” she says.
“That’s actually a great idea, I should suggest that to the guys, they’re always complaining about having no food in the house and not wanting to go out when they get back from tour.” I say.
“I just got into the habit of making extra portions of meals that can be frozen and just putting them in the freezer in portions, cause then it just takes a few minutes in the oven or microwave, and I have something if I have guests pop around un-expected” she says. “and its also great for when you’re sick or have friends who are cause you can just take ‘em a bunch of stuff that’s cooked already and all they gotta do is heat it and eat it.”
“Ok you are officially the most amazing person in the whole entire world right now” I comment “you’ve just solved one of the band biggest problems. the guys are gonna fucking love you well you know, more than they do already”
“Oh come on it’s really not that big of a deal” she says blushing.
“No Gen it really is, everyone’s so tired after tour and none of us want to think about anything more strenuous than collapsing in front of the T.V for a few days, but because there is never any food in the house we have to take turns at going out to stock up the pantry and cooking…your frozen meals idea will take away all of that and we can just relax and watch movies and be anti-social”
“Being anti-social is so under-rated. I really think it should be encouraged more” she comments.
“Oh it definitely should, I think modern society is so obsessed with being liked and fitting in and doing what’s expected or looking good that people forget to take time out for themselves, I think a little more anti-socialness is just what the world needs…not a lot mind, just like maybe a few days a year where you just sit around at home and watch movies with your friends and don’t go anywhere further than the letterbox.” I say.
“Sounds perfect.” she says.
“It is, especially after a couple months or more on tour, cause trust me by that point you just don’t want to be nice to everyone anymore. And you’re sick of being followed with cameras and all you wanna do is get away from prying eyes till the post tour-hype wears down” I say.
“How long does that usually take?” she asks.
“About a week or so, after that most of the creeps have moved onto something new…the next band that’s touring or some celebrity they saw in a movie and the paparazzi have moved onto a different story” I explain just as a knock sounds at the door.
“Can you get that? My hands are kinda full” Gen says, she is in the process of putting the finishing touches on the lasagne, before moving it to the oven so it can cook.
“Sure, it’s probably just the guys anyway, you’re not expecting anyone else are you?” I ask.
“Not as far as I know” she says.
“Ok, see you in a few minutes” I say walking towards the door and open it.
“Oh, hi Ava, where’s Gen?” Jack asks taking a few steps backward.
“She’s in the kitchen, putting the lasagne in the oven” I reply.
“Can we come in?” Matt asks.
“No, she invited you over for dinner, but you’re not allowed to come inside.” I say sarcastically rolling my eyes at him and stepping back and ushering them into the house. I close the door and begin to follow them but stop short when someone takes hold of my hand and pulls me back.
“Where do you think you’re going?” Alex asks.
“To help Gen with dinner” I respond.
“Not yet you’re not” he says.
“Why not?” I ask turning to face him.
“Because I haven’t seen you all day” he responds pulling me into a hug “I missed you today babe” he whispers into my hair before pulling back slightly to look into my eyes. “Did you and Gen have a good day?”
“Yeah, we did.” I say simply.
“Did you miss me?” he asks pressing a kiss to my cheek.
“Eh, maybe a little” I say shrugging my shoulders and smirking at him.
“Only a little bit huh?” he asks.
“Yep.” I reply. “to be honest I was having such a good time with Gen I didn’t really have time to miss you” I say.
“I’m glad you had a good time babe” he says softly.
“Yeah, me too.” I say “’it’s kinda nice having a girl friend to go shopping with and talk about the wedding and stuff with” I say. “I mean not that I don’t love you and the guys. but its not really the same as having a girl friend you know?”
“I love you” he says pressing a kiss to my lips. “I’m glad you’ve finally found a really good girl friend who you can go shopping with and do all that girly stuff with” he says.
“You’re just happy to be off the hook for the shopping trips and stuff” I say poking my tongue out at him.
“That’s not entirely untrue” he says “but you know I would go shopping with you every day if it made you happy”
“And that’s why I love you” I respond kissing his lips.
“Because I take you shopping?” he asks.
“No, because you don’t mind going shopping with me. A lot of guys would refuse to go shopping with their girlfriends, or they’d go and just complain the whole time they were out. But you never complain, you just go with it” I say.
“That’s because I love you” he says.
“No, it’s because you’re an amazing guy and you care about more than just yourself” I say.
“And because I love you. I wouldn’t go shopping with just any girl you know” he comments.
“Just me and Jack then?” I ask.
“Yep, that’s right” he responds with a chuckle “speaking of Jack…I think he’s in love with Gen. Like really in love with her” he says.
“I think he is too. And I also think she loves him” I say.
“They make a good couple. There aren’t many girls out there who can handle Jack’s very unique brand of crazy.” he says.
“Alex, let’s face it, there aren’t many people period who can handle Jack’s particular brand of crazy” I point out. “At least not for long stretches of time, most can take him in small doses, but there are not many who can cope with him for extended periods of time”
“He just takes a bit of getting used to that’s all. Once you know him he’s the life of the party” he says.
“Yeah, the problem is that people just see him as the weird, goofy guitarist and don’t stick around long enough to find out what he’s really like. Or with the girls he’s dated they’ve just wanted him for his money and when he’s wanted to get serious they’ve run a mile” I say.
“But now he’s got Gen. so it’s all worked out for the best” he comments.
“Yeah, I think she’s pretty much perfect for him” I say.
“Kinda like you’re perfect for me?” he asks.
“I can’t answer that, only you can answer that….but I think you’re my perfect match so I guess it kinda stands to reason that I’m yours…at least I would hope so” I say.
“You are my perfect match babe, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind about that. I’ve known you’re my soul mate since the day you agreed to go out with me” he says.
“You’ve known since then?” I ask.
“Pretty much, or well I guess I always hoped we’d end up together…I realized you were the only girl I could ever love after about a week, before that I just thought you were amazing and beautiful and smart” he says.
“You don’t think those things anymore?” I ask.
“I don’t just think those things, I know them to be true” he says “just like I know that no matter how long we’re married I will never get tired of doing this” he adds pressing a kiss to my lips. “and I’ll never get tired of waking up next to you, and having you be the last thing I see before I go to sleep and the first thing I see when I wake up. I can’t wait to spend the rest of my life with you babe” he says pulling me into a hug “I love you so much”
“I…I love you too” I say hugging him and trying to swallow the lump that has formed in my throat.
“Babe what’s wrong? Why are you crying?” he asks instantly sounding concerned…that’s another thing about Alex, he always notices the slightest hint of emotion in my voice.
“N-nothing” I choke out.
“Then why are you crying?” he asks.
“B-because…no one’s ever said anything like that about me before.I..i just I don’t feel like I deserve you” I say softly.
“On the contrary babe, its me who doesn’t deserve you” he says. “you’re my world, without you my life wouldn’t be complete. It wouldn’t make sense, I wouldn’t even be here today if it weren’t for you. You inspire me to be the best I can be, not just as part of the band but as a person. Without you in my life I wouldn’t have accomplished anywhere near as much as I have”
“You’d be fine without me” I say “you got where you are because you’re talented and you love making music with your band”
“Sure, I’d be ok….but without you none of this matters. I would give it all up in a heartbeat if it came to a choice between you and the music.” he says.
“Well as far as I’m concerned you can keep both. You love making music and playing with the guys. I’m not gonna ever ask you to give that up” I say. “even if I do have to share you with the rest of the world sometimes.”
“But my heart belongs to you babe. It will always belong to you” he says pressing his lips to mine in a soft but passionate kiss.
“And mine belongs to you” I respond against his lips before kissing him back and running my hands through his hair.
“Hey Ava, Gen sent me out her to see if you’re g….holy fuck!” Matt’s voice says and Alex and I hastily pull away from each other.
“Uhh…sorry…we were just umm..saying hello” I say feeling the blood rush to my cheeks.
“You’re so cute when you blush” Alex says kissing my cheek and making me blush even more.
“You’re so embarrassing” I say.
“You love me” he responds.
“You sure about that?”
“Pretty sure…I mean you are wearing my ring” he points out.
“Ok while I’m really loving your exchange of witty banter here, that wasn’t my reason for coming to find you” Matt says.
“Oh…sorry, what’s up?” I ask.
“Gen wanted to know if you were coming back to finish making the salad or if she should just ask Jack to make it” he says.
“Get Jack to make it” Alex says wrapping his arms round my waist “now where were we?” he asks.
“Come on, we should go join the rest of the group. We can pick up where we left of later” I say.
“But ba-abe, I wasn’t done kissing you yet” he whines.
“Well you’re just gonna have to wait until we get home. Now come on, you guys can set the table and get us all drinks from the fridge in back while Gen and I finish up in the kitchen” I say taking his hand and leading him to the kitchen.
♠ ♠ ♠
here you go guys! i am gonna try and get another update out before christmas...but no promises i have to update some other stories first!..

let me know what you think comments inspire me to write faster