Under A Paper Moon

chapter 5

Genevieve’s POV:

I walk into work the next day and head straight out the back through the staff door swiping my card to gain access. My shift doesn’t actually start for another half hour or so, but I wanted to talk to my boss so I got here a little early. I make my way to the MAC cosmetics office and knock on the door. “Come in” my bosses voice comes to me from inside and I open the door. “Oh hello Genevieve, what can I do for you?” she asks.
“Hi Kayleigh, nothing really, I just thought I’d come and tell you that I have found a job for while the store is closed for renovations” I say.
“That’s great, what store are you going to be at?” she asks.
“Ummm well it’s not a store” I say. “I’m gonna be working as the make-up artist for the band All Time Low while they’re on tour” I explain.
“All Time Low? They’re the band that has that song… ‘Dear Maria’ right?” she asks.
“Yeah, that’s them” I confirm with a smile.
“Damn, they’re one of the hottest punk bands in the country at the moment, how’d you get a gig doing their make-up?” she asks.
“I kinda ran into them at the supermarket a few days ago” I say. “Literally ran into” I add and then explain the whole scenario to her leaving out a few things like the fact that Alex has a fiancé, the address of their house and Ava’s claim that Jack has a crush on me which I am still not entirely sure if its true or not.
“Wow maybe I should try running my shopping cart into people more often if that’s the kinda thing that happens” she says.
“I wouldn’t recommend it, I don’t think a concussion is really very beneficial for your health” I joke.
“Well maybe not, but I’m sure waking up and seeing Alex Gaskarth and Jack Barakat is a pretty good cure for that right?” she asks.
“I’m not gonna deny that it was a pretty good sight to wake up to” I say.
“And they’re actually gonna pay you to go on tour with them?” she asks.
“Yep. Pretty good deal hey? I get to go to all the shows, hang out with them backstage and get paid for it” I say.
“Yeah, its great. I’m really happy for you Genevieve, you’re one of the best make-up artists we’ve had you deserve this, so don’t let anyone tell you any different ok?” she says.
“Thanks Kay, I’m really not all that great, but thanks for the vote of confidence” I say.
“Don’t be so hard on yourself Gen, you are very talented. We have never had any clients complain about your work and you are getting some clients who come back and ask specifically for you, and now you’ve landed a job that thousands of girls would kill for? Believe me girl, you got it” Kayleigh says. “so when does this tour start?”
“In four weeks, so its pretty much perfectly timed with when this place is closing for renovations.” I say.
“And how long does it go for?”
“The U.S. tour goes for two months, after that if I am happy to continue in the position and they are happy with the way I’m fitting in with the pre-existing team we can negotiate for the Canadian tour and after that the world tour” I say.
“So have they seen some examples of your work or are they just taking you on trust?” she asks.
“They asked me to bring a portfolio of some of the stuff I’ve done, but well they know I work here cause I still had my badge on when I was in the supermarket” I explain.
“Do you have any photos?” she asks.
“Yeah, I have a few, enough to give them a good idea of what I can do anyway.” I say. “I should get out to my station, it’s almost time for my shift to start” I add.
“Ok, well have a good shift, and congratulations on your new job, I’m really happy for you Gen you deserve it.” she says.
“Thanks Kay, I’m nervous as hell about it but it’ll be a good experience” I say and give her a quick wave before heading out of the office and over to my station in the MAC cosmetics section of the store.

I get my appointment book out and take a quick look at what I have lined up. My first appointment is at 10:00 and its 9:30 now so that gives me half an hour to set up my station and replenish anything that is running low. By the time I have set up my station with brushes, sponges, towels and all the other things I might need throughout the shift it is almost time for my first client to arrive. I stand up and check my appearance in the mirror, just to be sure I haven’t smudged my make-up or messed up my hair while I’ve been organising everything, I don’t usually care if my hair and make-up aren’t perfect but at work I like too look my best, because I figure if you go to someone to get your make-up professionally done you’re gonna want to see that your make-up artist looks presentable. At least that’s what I think anyway, I don’t know if anyone else shares my opinion. “Oh my gosh! Genevieve? Is that you?” I hear a voice call from behind me. I turn around to see who is speaking and right there, in front of my station are none other than Alex and Ava.
“Alex? Ava? What are you guys doing here?” I ask.
“I have an appointment here at 10am” Ava says.
“What name is the appointment booked under?” I ask.
“Kaye” she responds.
“Well isn’t that a coincidence, you’re my ten o’clock” I say with a smile.
“That’s awesome!” she says giving me a quick hug.
“Is it ok if I stick around and watch?” Alex asks.
“Doesn’t bother me, I get clients coming in with friends or family members all the time, and being in a department store I sometimes get kids dragging their mothers over so I’m used to an audience.” I reply.
“Is it ok if I stay and watch babe?” he asks wrapping arms round Ava’s waist and looking down at her with adoring eyes, she smiles up at him and nods her head before pressing a quick kiss to his lips and pulling away from him.
“Ok well just come have a seat and we’ll get started” I say “so what would you like done today?” I ask once she has taken her seat and is facing the mirror.
“Well I don’t know exactly, I’m just in the process of trying out a whole bunch of different places that offer professional make-up so I can decide which one I want to hire to do my make-up for the wedding” she explains.
“Ok, so something that is subtle and understated but nor plain and boring?” I ask.
“Yeah, I don’t want the make-up to overshadow the dress or vice versa. I want them to complement each other.” she says and glances over at Alex “and he doesn’t like girls that wear too much make up, he says it makes them look to fake and plastic” she adds.
“Well babe that’s because you’re perfect just the way you are and I don’t want your pretty face all covered up with make-up” he says leaning across the counter to kiss her cheek and making her blush. Just at that moment his phone rings, he sits back in his seat and pulls it out of his pocket hitting answer and putting it to his ear on one fluid movement “Hi this is Alex, please leave your name and number and I will get back to you as soon as possible” he says into the phone.
“Alexxxxxxxx I know you’re there! Your voicemail message is different” Jacks voice come through the phone.
“What’s up Jack?” he says into the phone, rolling his eyes at us.
“What do you think that’s all about?” I ask.
“I dunno, Jack probably locked himself out of the house again, he went for a walk just before we left and we told him to take his keys ‘cause Rian and Zack went to the gym, but he probably left them inside on the kitchen table or something” Ava says.
“Does that happen often” I ask.
“Yeah, too often, and its not just Jack they all do it, it’s like if they can’t remember to take keys when they go out on their own, but if we all go out as a group they all bring their keys and then Jack and Alex end up fighting over who gets to unlock the house” she says rolling her eyes at me.
Alex flips the phone closed and slides it into his pocket “Sorry babe I have to go, Jack forgot to put gas in his car and is now stranded on the side of the road and doesn’t want to leave the car to walk to the station and get gas” he says.
“It’s ok, you go save the Jack-in-a-box I’ll call you when I need to get picked up” she says standing up and giving him a quick hug.
“Ok, I’m really sorry babe I know this was something we were gonna do together” he says hugging her back.
“Alex its ok, really, just make sure you’re there on the actual day ok?” she says.
“I wouldn’t be anywhere else babe” he assures her leaning down to kiss her.
“Well I would hope not” she responds kissing him back briefly before shoving gently at his chest “now go on, go save Jacky-poo before he gets scared and does something stupid”
“Yes ma’am” he jokes snapping a salute. “Nice to see you again Genevieve, sorry to greet and run”
“It’s ok, you go get Jack, and I’ll stay here and make your fiancé look all sexy and glamorously sophisticated” I reply waving off his apology.

“Ok you’re all done” I say a couple of hours later and step back to let Ava see my handiwork. I’ve curled her hair and piled it on top of her head held in place with clips, and given her medium smokey eyes starting with black round the eye and fading to sparkly slivery grey. Her lips are in a pale pink shade that is almost identical to her natural lip colour but still alludes to the fact that she is wearing make-up.
“Oh my gosh! Gen! I love it! You’re a fucking genius!” she squeals, jumping to her feet and pulling me into a quick hug before releasing me too study her reflection in the mirror more closely.
“So you like it?” I ask. I am actually really happy with the way it turned out, sometimes when I do make up I am not happy with it even if the client loves it but this time I am happy with my work.
“Like it? Girl I LOVE it! It’s perfect, its gonna look so good with the dress!” she says.
“You’ve picked out a dress?” I ask.
“Yup I found the perfect dress a couple of weeks ago! I’m just trying to figure out a place I can keep it where Alex isn’t gonna see it. I cant keep it at my place because I don’t have much closet space and the one tall closet I do have has some of his stuff in it” she explains.
“You could stash it at my place, I have tonnes of closet space.” I say.
“I can’t ask you to do that” she protests.
“You’re not asking I’m offering so all you have to do is say yes” I reply.
“Ok, thanks Gen that would be great!” she says.
“I’ll give yo my cell number and you can just give me a call sometime to arrange a suitable time for us to go pick it up and stash it in one of my closets” I say.
“So did you talk to your boss about the tour?” she asks.
“Yeah I came in early and had a chat to her about it, she’s cool with it, said I can take more time off after this place re-opens if you guys haven’t gotten sick of me by the end of the U.S tour” I say.
“Oh we wont have gotten sick of you. The only reason Matt didn’t sign you for the entire international tour is because he didn’t want you to feel obligated to stay if you get to the end of the U.S. tour and are totally sick of our crazy lifestyle. Touring for months on end isn’t for everyone” she says.
“I’m sure I’ll be able to handle it. I’ve spent months travelling round Europe and the United States in a caravan, so the living in a trailer part won’t be an issue” I say.
“Still, we didn’t want to make you feel like you have to commit to the whole tour all at once.” she says. “Well Jack did, you should have heard him talking about you last night after you left, he couldn’t stop gushing about how much he likes you and how you’re gonna be the perfect addition to the ATL touring family. Don’t be surprised if he asks you to go out with him one of these days” she says.
“You really think he’s gonna ask me out?” I ask.
“Yeah I really do, would you say yes if he did?” she asks.
“I dunno probably, I mean, he is incredibly cute and sweet and he’s such a nice guy, not like so many of the guys our age who are just interested in a quick fuck with no strings attached” I say.
“Ugh tell me about it! The amount of girls who have thrown themselves at Alex and the other guys over the years when we’ve gone out to clubs is ridiculous. They seem to think that just because the guys are in a band they’re gonna sleep around and fuck any slut that throws herself at them. But they’re not like that, they never have been, and sure Jack dated Holly Madison from playboy but they were in love it wasn’t just some fling.” she says.
“I hate stereo-types, its so pathetic to lump a whole group of people together and label them as something just because of a few individuals.” I say.
“Yeah me too, but there’s nothing anyone can do about it, there’s always gonna be some people who are to narrow minded and self absorbed to realise that everyone is different and that not all rockstars are obsessed with sex and drugs.” she says rolling her eyes, just as her phone rings “sorry do you mind if I get that, it’s probably Alex” she says.
“Hey go ahead, I’ll start packing up my station.” I say replacing lids and gathering all the little containers and brushes that are strewn across the counter top. By the time I have put everything back in its place which takes about ten minutes Ava has finished her phone conversation. “So was that Alex or did Jack call to tell you that he needs to be rescued again?” I ask.
It was Alex, he’s on his way back here to pick me up.” she responds. “Oh and he’s bringing Jack with him, turns out it wasn’t just lack of gas that made the car stop, there’s something wrong with the fan belt so they got it towed to the garage and its gonna get fixed up. So Jack’s carless for a couple days.” she adds.
“He’s bringing Jack? Here? Now? Today?” I ask, I realise that I am kinda sounding like a crazy person right now, but well I totally wasn’t expecting that Jack would be coming here, I glance across at the other station to see who is working and inwardly groan. Its Sonya, just my luck, of all the girls and guys who work here…yes we have a few male make-up artists, not they are not all gay, only one is and he is one of the sweetest guys you will ever meet. But that’s another story for another time. The main problem with Sonya (other than the fact that she is a huge bitch) is that she has a God awful crush on none other than Jack Barakat… is about to walk in here with Alex.
“Relax girl, it’ll be ok” Ava says “Jack does actually know how to behave himself in public” she adds.
“Jack’s not the one I’m worried about.” I say and then go on to explain about Sonya and her huge, really obvious crush on Jack. “if she see’s him she’s gonna be like all over him in about three seconds flat” I add.
“Uhh ok, ummm..when does your shift finish?” Ava asks.
I glance up at the clock above my station “In about ten minutes” I say. “It’s just a short shift today, I swapped with a friend who had to go out of town for the day and she got someone else to cover the afternoon.”
“Do you think you could leave a little early?” she asks.
“Uhh yeah, it should be ok, I got here early and I usually stay over time. I’ll just give my boss a quick call and make sure” I reply grabbing the inter-com phone and dialling the number that will hook me up to Kayleigh.
“Hi Gen, what’s up? Is there a problem down there?” Kayleigh asks.
“No there’s no problem. I just wanted to ask if its ok for me to finish a few minutes early. I’ve finished up with my client and put everything away so there isn’t anything to do and I’m meeting some people but one of them might get uhh…attacked by a certain someone who is working today” I say.
There is a pause on the other end of the phone probably while Kay tries to figure out what the hell I mean “Oh you have a meeting with the people who are hiring you while this place is being re-furbished?” she asks catching on.
“Yeah, that’s it” I say.
“And a certain guitarist is coming, and you’re working with Sonya?” she asks.
“Right again” I say.
“That’s fine, have a good meeting.” she says.
“Thanks Kay, I appreciate it” I say.
“It’s no problem, you’re always putting in extra time and not asking to be payed for it, that’s what makes you such a good employee, you always finish up what you are doing and clean up your station regardless of what the clock says. I wish all of the others were like that to.” she says. “well I’m getting another call, so I’ll see you for your next shift” she says and ends the call
“She said that’s fine” I say.
“Ok cool, I’m gonna meet them at starbucks for coffee if you wanna come” she says.
“Are you sure? I mean I don’t wanna intrude” I say.
“Psh you’re not intruding, besides you kinda have to come. Alex is probably gonna want to thank you for this in person” she says gesturing to her self.
“You think he’ll like it?” I ask.
“I don’t just think he’ll like it. I know he’ll like it” she says. “Hell he wont just like it, he’ll fucking love it. let’s just say that you’re totally hired to do my hair and make-up for the wedding” she adds.
♠ ♠ ♠
thanks for reading guys i was gonna get it up last night but Mibba was being mean so i gave up and went to bed! sooooo here it is now!
please comment and tell me what you think!