Status: complete

Remembering the Ghost of You

April 25th, 1945

April 25th, 1945

“We’re in Paris,” I murmured to Greta as I gently shook her awake. She opened her tired eyes and I picked her up so that she could see out the window. She’d already told me that she’d gotten to see more of the world then she’d ever imagined she’d see and now to see Paris made her mouth drop open. I was glad to see that a lot of the damage to the buildings and streets was already being reversed and people were slowly flowing back into the city.
We were dropped off at the General’s post, a large house near the center of Paris, and from there I walked with Greta to the hospital which I’d been told had been moved to a proper hospital now.
“Gerard is that really you?” a nurse called out as I entered the building.
“Yes it’s me Madeline,” I said with a smile. She was a nurse I’d met back when we first got here. She was American too.
“Who do we have here?” she asked curiously.
“Greta. I’m from Nordhausen in Germany,” she said and Madeline nodded. I could see the shock and horror on her face from the sight of the girl.
“Does Esmerie know you are coming?” Madeline asked to change the subject even though her eyes were still glued on Greta. I shook my head.
“This was all decided just a short time ago,” I told her and she nodded.
“I can give you the address to the Dupont’s house. That’s where she’s been staying,” Madeline told me.
“I know where it is,” I said and she smiled.
“Alright. Then I’ll return to work,” she said. “See you around Gerard.”
“Bye Madeline,” I said and turned to leave.
“I wish I had hair as beautiful as hers,” Greta said sadly. Madeline had long straight blonde hair that shone in the light. Greta’s hair had been hacked away and was reduced to dull brown tufts. I didn’t say anything and just kissed the top of her head as I wandered down the sleepy morning streets to the Dupont house.

I rang the bell and old Mrs. Dupont opened the door with a shocked expression. “We weren’t expecting you for awhile,” she said and I just grinned.
“I made a surprise visit with my new friend Greta,” I said and Greta smiled and weak smile.
“Well come in! I’ve just started breakfast. I’ll go wake Esmerie. She’s going to be so happy. She hasn’t spent a moment without talking about you,” she laughed. I headed to the kitchen while Mrs. Dupont disappeared up the stairs calling to Esmerie in French.
“I like her,” Greta said as I set her on a chair. I was hanging up my coat when I heard little feet on the floorboards above me. I smiled knowing in seconds Esmerie was going to come around the corner.
“GERARD!” she squealed in her heavy French accent and launched herself into my arms. I hugged her tightly and she started to cry.
“Why are you crying sweetie?” I asked and rubbed her back. She’d grown since I’d seen her last, but she was still such a tiny little girl.
“I missed you,” she sobbed into my shoulder. I kissed her head.
“I missed you too. So much,” I told her and sat down. She wouldn’t release her arms from my neck though. “Esmerie,” I said and stroked her back. “Esmerie I brought a friend with me,” I told her and she turned her head and spotted Greta. She pointed to her and I nodded. She let go of my neck and settled into my lap.
“Who are you?” she asked.
“I’m Greta. I’m from Germany,” she said and Esmerie cocked her head.
“Where’s that?” she asked me.
“You know how I told you I was going away to fight?” I asked and she nodded. “I was in Germany and it’s not too far away.” Esmerie nodded again and turned back to Greta.
“I am Esmerie and I am almost four,” she said proudly.
“I’m nine,” Greta said.
“And how old are you Gerard?” Esmerie asked me and I laughed.
“I’m twenty-one. I’m a lot older then both of you,” I told her.
“And you?” she asked Mrs. Dupont.
“A lot older then you,” she said and began setting the table for breakfast.
“Do you want to color with me?” she then decided to ask Greta.
“Okay,” she said to Esmerie who then raced off to get her art supplies. She returned with colored pencils and paper. She climbed back onto my lap and handed Greta pencils and some paper.
“I’m going to draw everyone now with Greta,” Esmerie told me and I smiled.
“Draw us anyway you want,” I told her and kissed the top of her head.

By afternoon Esmerie was almost inseparable from Greta. I had to keep reminding Esmerie that Greta didn’t have as much energy as she did so she had to take it easy. She didn’t really understand, but she did go down easier for a nap since she was cuddled next to Greta. It made it sadder to think that Greta’s time was limited. She hadn’t stopped smiling since Esmerie drew her a picture of our “family”. She drew her, me, Frank, Mrs. Dupont, Ray, and Greta. Then she added Mikey and Bob in the clouds. She had told me that Mrs. Dupont had told her that Bob had gone to be with Mikey. She asked if that meant he was dead and I nodded. She didn’t say anything about it though, just kept drawing. Greta then told her about Fighter and I thought Esmerie was going to run to Germany right then and there to see the dog she was so excited.
“Esmerie is a wild ball of energy,” Mrs. Dupont said as she poured tea for me. I nodded.
“And she’s only three. She was nothing like this when I first found her though,” I noted.
“She’s grown strong. She’s the most talkative three year old I’ve ever seen. She’s always babbling away in French and English whether it be to me, herself, or her dolls.” I smiled like a proud father. I was glad that Esmerie was like this. When I’d found her she was so scared and reserved and now there wasn’t even a glimpse of that child. She was bubbly and wanted to talk to anyone who would listen. She didn’t ask why Greta looked different then her or spoke differently because she was too eager to have another friend. That was a quality that I knew would take her far in life.
“I’m glad she is making Greta smile,” I told Mrs. Dupont.
“How much longer do you think she has?” she asked and I shrugged. She looked healthier, but not by much. She’d still cough up blood and wasn’t really gaining much weight.
“Not long,” I said sadly. “That’s why I brought her here though. I wanted her to die smiling and not in those depressing camps.” Mrs. Dupont nodded and changed the subject.
“And what about Esmerie after the war ends?” she asked.
“I’m taking her with me. No matter what,” I said and she smiled.
“Very few men in your position, so young and a soldier, would spend extra time looking after little children and making them smile. It’s a quality that you rarely see in men in these times. Hold it close,” she told me and I nodded. At the beginning I had no intention of adopting Esmerie, but as time had gone by I knew I wouldn’t be able to leave her permanently. I’d do the same for Greta in a heartbeat, but I knew her days were numbered. I’d do anything to give her more time, but she kept telling me that it was her time and she knew there was nothing I could do. Greta had told me, when we were getting in the truck to go to Paris, that she never imagined anything as wonderful as going to Paris. She told me it was like the light at the end of a long dark tunnel and she was glad that she at least got to meet me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Writing about Esmerie makes me so happy. Enjoy.