The Golden Quartet: Year 3

Chapter 7

CHAPTER 7

“Where’d you run off to last night?” Athena asked, sitting down next to her sister at the Gryffindor table to eat breakfast.

“To talk to Remus.” Astrid said honestly.

Athena raised a dark eyebrow, her once solid gray eyes seemed to be now containing flecks of honey and green, before Astrid could comment about them, Athena spoke. “What did you say? Why would you even go to him? There’s nothing he can do about it.”

Astrid sighed, “That’s exactly what he told me when I asked him to help our dad.”

“You what? Why would you even try to ask? He could get in trouble if he even tried to help our father! He could get fired or get arrested! How do you think mum would feel if Remus too was put in Azkaban?” Athena said shaking her head.

“Probably proud of Remus finally coming to his senses.” Astrid shot back venomously and Athena just shook her head.

Astrid and Athena jumped slightly when Hermione slammed her book bag onto the table with an angry huff. “The boys are still giving you trouble?” Astrid asked.

“Well,” Hermione sat down, “Harry has forgiven me. McGonagall said there was nothing wrong with the broom.”

“Okay, so what’s the problem?”

“It’s Ron! He thinks Crookshanks has eaten his rat!”

Astrid gasped, “Your cat ate Scabbers?!

Hermione frowned, “Oh, so you think so too?”

“I mean… well… he is a cat… and they never seemed to really get along…”

Hermione stood up and grabbed her bag, “He did not kill Scabbers!” and with that final word she quickly whipped around and left.

“Hermione! Okay fine! Yeah, you’re probably right! Scabbers just went for a leisurely walk in the forest or something! Hermione!” Astrid sighed in exasperation, “So sensitive.”

“Funny. Hermione will stand by your side when everyone thinks you’re the child of a monster, yet when you accuse her cat of, well, being a cat she leaves you.” Athena patted Astrid’s back and then stood up, “I’ve got to go. Good luck.”

After eating her breakfast Astrid made her way to her first class, but stopped when she saw Harry, Ron, and a few other Gryffindors circled around Harry and his broom. She quickly dove behind a pillar and listened, “Can I hold it, Harry?” Wood asked with eyes fixated on Harry’s broom. Harry handed it over to him and Wood nearly trembled. Cedric Diggory walked by and congratulated Harry on his new broom and wished him good luck in the game.

Percy’s girlfriend, Penelope Clearwater eyed the broom carefully, “Penelope and I have got a bet on.” Percy spoke, “Ten Galleons on the outcome of the match!”

“It’s really a great broom, Harry. We’ve got to get to class, Percy.” Penelope began to leave.

“Harry – make sure you win,” Percy said in an urgent whisper. “I haven’t got ten Galleons.”

“Percy?” Penelope called over her shoulder as she walked down the hall.

“Yes, I’m coming, Penny!” Percy quickly made haste to be at her side.

Astrid’s dark gray eyes narrowed when she saw Draco and his goons approach Harry and she was tempted to stand at Harry’s side… but she knew she couldn’t.

“Sure you can manage that broom, Potter?” Draco said in his usual cold, drawling voice.

“Yeah, I reckon so.” Harry said in an oddly casual manner.

“Got plenty of features, doesn’t it? Shame it doesn’t come with a parachute – in case you get too close to a Dementor again.” Draco said in a malicious tone and Crabbe and Goyle sniggered.

“Pity you can’t attach an extra arm to yours, Malfoy. Then it could catch the Snitch for you.” Harry said.

Everyone laughed loudly while Malfoy narrowed his eyes and stalked off with the other Slytherins.

Astrid wanted to go up to Harry and tell him ‘well done!’ But instead pulled her backpack over her shoulder and continued her way to class, passing Harry and the other Gryffindors.

“Hey, Astrid! Come look at Harry’s new broom-ooff, ow!” Astrid stopped only to see Ron rubbing his side, “Ow, why’d you do that, Harry? Oh, right. Forgot you’re not friends. Sorry, I’m still not used to it.”

Harry looked up at Astrid, who rolled her eyes and then continued on her way.

“Oh, come off it, Harry.” Fred said. “All because her dad’s a murdering psychopath doesn’t mean she is.”

“She lied to me. She’s a liar, just like her father.” Harry said coldly.

“Athena lied to me to, for much longer, but that doesn’t change who she is.” Fred said.

“This is about me and Astrid, not you and Athena, so just stay out of it, yeah?” Harry said, getting aggravated.

“Alright, alright, lovers quarrel and all that, but do it on your own time. We’ll be heading off against Ravenclaw soon. I’ll need your minds clear of all that rubbish and to focus on the game!” Wood said. “Alright, get to class and I’ll see you all at eleven on the Quidditch field.”

~~~

“I can’t believe you’re not coming.” Athena said, frowning at Astrid as everyone else made their way to the Quidditch match.

Astrid shrugged, “I’ve got something important to do.”

Athena narrowed her eyes, "Really? Like what?”

Astrid pursed her lips and looked up at the ceiling pondering exactly what she had to do, “Um… well… Oh! Studying! Yeah, Hermione’s always going on about that so I thought I’d go ahead and give it a try.” Astrid turned and began walking against the flow of the crowd.

Astrid accidently shoved someone roughly, she turned, “Oh, sorry-“ It was Harry, rushing to get to the locker room.

They stared at each other for a moment and Harry, almost involuntarily, asked, “Where are you going?”

Astrid was honestly shocked and she blinked for a moment before answering, “To the common room. Figured you wouldn’t want me at your game.” She said, narrowing her eyes.

Harry narrowed his eyes as well, “Well, then, you figured right.” He turned and began quickly pushing past the people.

Athena came up to Astrid, “See? He wants you there.”

Astrid quickly jerked her head to look at Hermione like she was a mad woman, “What? He just said that he doesn’t want me there!”

“You can’t not go! You never miss a game! You cheer the loudest for him!” Athena said earnestly.

Astrid rolled her eyes, “I’ll see you after the game.” She walked through the crowd making her way to the Gryffindor Tower.

~~~

Astrid let out a groan and rolled over on her bed and pulled her pillow over her head to try and muffle their screams. Even from her room she could hear everyone cheering and screaming at the Quidditch match.

Astrid wanted to know what was going on. Who was winning?

A wild thought popped into her head, what if they’re actually screaming because an army of Dementors appeared and are sucking out everyone’s souls?!

Astrid threw the pillow off of herself and quickly sat up, “Alright, I’ll go. But only to protect my friends.” She concluded out loud to herself.

She grabbed her wand and raced down the stairs but halted in the common room. “I can’t give Harry the satisfaction of seeing me there, though.” She mumbled. Then she smirked, having an idea.

She turned on her heel and looked up at the third year boys’ stairs. She walked over to them and then gently placed her foot on the first stepped and then quickly raced up. As soon as she was up there she bolted to Harry’s trunk. A mischievous smiled played on Astrid’s face as she pulled out her wands and pointed it to the trunk’s lock, “Alohamora.” There was a quiet clicking noise and Astrid put down her wand and quickly opened the trunk and saw the Invisibility Cloak.

~~~

“YEAH! GO GRYFFINDOR!” Screamed Astrid. She was standing in the doorway of the entrance to the Quidditch field. She couldn’t sit with anyone, seeing as people would hear her, but not see her. Sure, it was a bit uncomfortable because she was craning her neck to watch them play above her, but she didn’t mind too much.

Cho Chang was tailing Harry, instead of actually finding the Snitch for herself, which made Astrid scoff.

Then, something on the field caught her eyes. Three, dark hooded things made their way out of the other entrance on the other side of the field. Harry was zooming low to catch the Snitch that had dove.

Astrid saw Cho point at the three hooded things and without think Harry managed to whip out his wand and something silvery and white shot out the tip at the three dark figures. Harry didn’t stop to admire his work, not noticing that those three figure were actually Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle(who now looked mortified and frightened). Harry flew back up and raced after the Snitch. His hand was outstretched and he was closing in on it – his figured clasped around it and the crowd erupted.

“YEAH! YEAH! BRILIIANT HARRY!” Astrid screamed. Harry looked her direction and she quickly froze, but Harry looked away, obviously not seeing her because she was invisible.

The Gryffindor team had landed and everyone crowded around Harry, and before anyone could come down from the stands to congratulate Harry, Astrid quickly raced back to the Gryffindor Tower.

Once there she tore off the Invisibilty Cloak and shot up to put it back in Harry’s trunk. She folded it neatly like it had been, closed the trunk and locked it and then raced back down to the common room only to race back up to her room, grab a book, race back down to the common room again and threw herself across the couch and quickly got into a comfortable position. Just then the portrait entrance opened and the once quiet common room was filled with loud cheering.

Fred and George ran up to their room and came back down with loads of treats and goodies they had been stashing away. “Let the party begin!” Fred shouted and everyone cheered and began distributing butter beers and other things of the sort.

“Astrid! It was amazing! I really wish you had been there.” Athena said with a big grin on her face.

Astrid gave a small smile, “Yeah, I’m sure it was. Well, I’m glad you guys won.” She got up.

“Oh, you’re not going to celebrate with everyone?” Athena asked, looking disappointed and worried again.

“Nah, I just got to a really good part in this book. She’s about to kill herself because her boyfriend killed himself because he thought she was actually dead but she really wasn’t. Nothin’ like a good death to liven a romance, aye?” Astrid stretched.

“Well, I’ll join you. I don’t think I’m very welcomed here, either.” Hermione said coming toward Astrid. “I’m sorry about this morning. I didn’t mean to get so upset. At least, not with you.” She then glanced at Ron.

“If Scabbers just hadn’t been eaten, he could’ve had some of those Fudge Flies. He used to really like them.” Ron said loudly, so Hermione could hear.

Hermione’s eyes began to water, “Hermione, he’ll get over it-“ Hermione quickly turned and ran up to the girls’ dormitories. With a sigh, Astrid followed suite.

~~~

A loud scream in the night rang through Astrid’s ears. Her heart quickly began to race with adrenalin and pulled out her wand from under her pillow.

“What’s going on?” Lavender Brown asked while rubbing her eyes, but Astrid didn’t waste time to answer her. She bolted down the stairs and ran into Harry, literally. They fell back, but unlike Harry, Astrid didn’t glare. She quickly got up and pulled Harry to his feet and held out her wand. With her back to him, she looked around the common room.

“What happened?” Astrid turned to Harry. “I heard someone scream.” People began to come down.

“Who shouted?”

“What’s going on?”

"Excellent, carrying on with the party are we?" Fred said as he and George high-fived each other.

“I saw Sirius Black!” Ron said, looking petrified.

What?” Astrid asked in disbelief.

“You were probably dreaming, Ron!” Percy said in annoyance. “Now, everyone get back to bed!”

“I’m telling you! I saw him! He was standing over me with a knife!”

“That’s impossible! He can’t even get in here!” Astrid said.

“Unless someone let him in.” Harry said, turning to Astrid.

“How dare you accuse my sister!” Athena shouted, taking a step in front of Astrid like her mother would have.

“Then maybe it was you.” Harry said glaring at her. Before either Astrid or Athena could speak Fred stepped forward.

“It’s one thing to accuse Astrid, but don’t go around accusing Athena, she wouldn’t do that.” Fred said.

Astrid scoffed, “Gee, thanks, Fred.”

Fred looked down at her, “Hey, I’m just trying to stay on your sister’s good side.” He winked and Athena smacked him on the chest.

“Everyone just get back to bed now! Ron was just dreaming!”

“I wasn’t dreaming!” Ron said in his own defense.

The portrait slammed open and in walked McGonagall looking very sour. “I am delighted that Gryffindor won the match, but this is getting ridiculous! Percy, I expected better of you!”

“I certainly didn’t authorize this, Professor! I was just telling them all to get back to bed! My brother Ron here had a nightmare-“

“IT WASN’T A BLOODY NIGHTMARE!” Ron roared. “PROFESSOR, I WOKE UP, AND SIRIUS BLACK WAS STANDING OVER ME, HOLDING A KNIFE!”

McGonagall stared at him for a long moment.

“Don’t be ridiculous, Weasley. How could he possibly have gotten through the portrait hole?” she finally spoke.

Harry looked at Astrid. She fumed, “Harry seems to be under the impression that I, Professor, let him in.”

McGonagall looked at Harry, “Now, Mr. Potter!” McGonagall looked outrage. “Whether you like it or not I do not believe Mrs. Moody would ever let a dangerous person, related or not, ever do any harm to you or anyone else!”

“Black.” Harry corrected, “Her last name is Black.”

The air in the room felt heavy until Ron mustered out, “Ask him! Ask him if he saw Sirius Black!” Ron was pointing at Sir Cadogan in the portrait.

McGonagall quickly turned around and walked over to the portrait that was open, against the wall, not yet have been closed.

“Sir Cadogan, did you let a man enter the Gryffindor Tower?” McGonagall asked.

“Certainly, good lady!” cried the Knight.

“You – you did?” McGonagall looked stunned. “But – but the password!”

“He had ‘em!” the Knight said proudly. “Had the whole week’s, my lady! Read ‘em off a little piece of paper!”

White as chalk, McGonagall looked at the stunned crowed that had also heard everything. “Who?” she said, voice shaking. “Which foolish person wrote down this week’s passwords and left them lying around?”

No one spoke, but everyone saw as a trembling, terrified Neville Longbottom slowly raise his hand into the air.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah, sorry it's been so long. I just haven't been in the mood to write. At all. And then I come on this website and it's all different. O.O Honestly, I thought I typed in something wrong in the url.
Anyways, please, leave comments :D And sorry, again, for slowly updating. :( I hate it when I don't feel like writing because that's like my escape.