The Golden Quartet: Year 3

Chapter 8

CHAPTER 8

“Why do you think he was in the boys dorm?” Athena asked, looking at her younger sister who was sitting, leaning against the tree looking out at the Black Lake.

“I don’t know. I’ve been trying to figure it out since it happened.” Astrid looked up at Athena, “Why would he go to Ron’s bed?”

“Maybe he just got the wrong bed?” Hermione suggested, who was sitting next to Astrid, doing some homework.

Astrid shook he head, “No. He would’ve just looked at the initials on their trunks. He purposefully went to Ron’s bed.” They all exchanged glances, all wondering why Sirius Black would be interested in Ron.

“Did you write to mum about this?” Athena asked.

“No, I really don’t want her to worry about this. Besides, I hardly doubt she’d know why he’s interested in Ron.” Astrid answered. “Anyways, I’m sure she’ll read about it in the Daily Prophet. If she wants to talk about it, she’ll write to us.” Astrid’s eyebrows were furrowed as she continued to stare intently at the lake. Astrid quickly grabbed a rock and shot up, and then after a short moment threw it angrily at the water causing Athena and Hermione to jump slightly at the sudden sound of the splash.

“Astrid! What was that about?” Athena was staring at her sister who just picked up her things and quickly stormed off.

It seemed like whenever Astrid would finally gather her thoughts and feelings together something would happen to send them crashing down.

Why would he go to see Ron?! I mean, what the bloody hell! Why wouldn’t he come to see me? Or Athena?! We’re his bloody daughters! He was here, so close! He could have woken me up, said, ‘hello, darling, I’m your father. I haven’t seen you since you were one. You’ve gotten big! Oh, well, will you look at that! You’ve got my eyes! And my hair! And my skin! And well, you look like the female version of me! How are you by the way? I haven’t been good, being in prison and all… Oh, yeah, about that. Sorry, here, let me explain-‘

“Watch it!” Pansy Parkinson shoved roughly into Astrid’s shoulder. She was with a small entourage of her Slytherin girl friends, which consisted of Daphne Greengrass, Flora and Hestia Carrow, and Millicent Bulstrode. A nasty smirk replaced Pansy’s glare. “Well, look who it is? The daughter of a mad man. What’s it like having a father who tries to murder your loser friends?”

“You better shut your mouth before I shut it for you.” Astrid glared and took a threatening step forward.

Pansy raised an eyebrow, “There are five of us, and only one of you.”

“Fine, why don’t you round up the rest of the Slytherins and that’ll make it an even fight.” Astrid smirked.

Pansy’s nostrils flared, “I’ve had about enough of you, you blood traitor. I hope your dad will enjoy the kiss the Dementors have awaiting for him-“

Fluctus!” A tall and wide force field shot out the tip of Astrid’s wand and slammed into the group of girls, knocking them off their feet and sent them hurtling back. “Next time,” Astrid began as she put her wand away and stepped over one of the girls, “be a good little witch, do as you’re told, and shut your mouth.” Astrid smiled down at Pansy who was crying in pain, clutching herself on the ground.

~~~

“Come in.”

Astrid inhaled a deep breath, relaxed, and then exhaled. She opened Lupin’s office door and poked her head in, “Can, we, um… talk?” Astrid said, a bit uneasy.

Lupin gave a small smile, “Of, course, please,” he put down his quill and gestured to the seat on the other side of his desk, across from him. “Tea?”

“No.” Astrid sat down, clasped her hands together and placed them on her lap. She let out a sigh, “Sir, if you had children,” Astrid began and ignored the Remus’ raised eyebrow, “and you hadn’t seen them in twelve years, if you got the chance to see them, would you? Or would you instead go see a boy who is a complete stranger to you?”

“Ah,” Remus leaned forward and placed his hands on his desk. “You’re talking about your father.”

Astrid rolled her eyes, “Yes, of course, I am!”

“You’re upset because Sirius went after… er, sought out, Harry instead of you?” Remus said carefully.

Astrid shook her head and was frowning, “No, that I could grasp. But he wasn’t seeking out Harry, Remus, er, sir.”

A look of confusion past over Remus’ face, “He wasn’t?”

“No, he was at Ron’s bed.” Astrid answered.

“Oh, well, he simply got the wrong bed, Astrid, I don’t see why this is upsetting you-“

“It’s upsetting me, sir, because he didn’t get the wrong bed! If it was true, if my dad is guilty, this would have been his one chance to kill Harry, he would not make a mistake. He had to have looked at the names on the trunks! He purposefully sought out Ron!” Astrid was gripping the arms of her chair and leaning forward.

Remus was silent, and looked down at his desk, he was thinking… wondering…

A sudden loud crack in Remus' fireplace made Astrid jump and the voice that came from it made her sneer.

“Lupin!” Snape called. “I want a word!”

Remus sighed, got up from his chair and went through the fireplace.

Astrid immediately got up and went to the fire, and slowly put her ear to it. The feeling was odd, the fire was warm, but not burning her, and where the ear went was cold.

“You called, Severus?” Remus said mildly.

“I certainly did.” Said Snape shortly. “I have just asked Potter to empty his pockets. He was carrying this.”

Harry?

Astrid turned and slowly, as to not be seen, poked her face through the fire. Remus was standing in front of her, but she could see from between his legs, Snape and Harry standing across from each other, Snape looking angry, and Harry looking a bit anxious and annoyed.

Remus took the blank parchment, which Astrid recognized as the map, from Snape’s hand. Remus was looking it over.

“Well?” Snape asked as Remus was silently examining it. “Well?” Snape said again. “This parchment is plainly full of Dark Magic. This is supposed to be your area of expertise, Lupin. Where do you imagine Potter got such a thing?”

“He got it from me.” Astrid said with a smile.

Remus stepped away from the fire and looked down at her with the other two in the room. Harry looked shocked, Snape looked angry, and Remus looked apprehensive.

Astrid stepped out from the fire and entered Snape’s office.

Snape’s eyes narrowed, “What do you think you’re doing?”

“Well, professor, I was having an important conversation with professor Lupin, when you so rudely interrupted,” Snape glared at her, “so, naturally I had to see what was so much more important, and it is a good thing I did, seeing as how you’re creating such a fuss over my parchment.”

You’re parchment, you say?” Snape asked, taking a step towards her.

“Yes, sir. My mother gave it to me.” Astrid said with bright eyes and a smile.

“And, can you explain, exactly what the use of it is?” Snape asked.

“Ah, that, I cannot say. My mother made me promise never to tell. But be assured, it is not of Dark Magic.” Astrid said smoothly.

“And how can I believe what you say is true?” said Snape.

Astrid turned to Remus, “Professor, are you able to tell if it is full of Dark Magic?”

“It seems to be merely a piece of parchment meant to insult anyone who reads it.” Remus said mildly.

Astrid smiled in satisfaction, “Yes, I must admit it is a bit childish but not at all dangerous.”

“I – gave – Harry – that – stuff!” Ron said out of breath as he bursted into the room. Everyone turned and looked at him.

“Yes, Ron, bought him the things from Zonko’s” Astrid gestured at the Zonko’s bag on Snape’s desk. “I had just finished telling, the professors, Ron, that the parchment is mine.”

Ron blinked, surprised to see Astrid among them. “Yeah, what – she – said.”

“Well, that sorts it, let us be off-“

“Actually, Astrid, I’d like to have a word in private with you three, about the Vampire essay I assigned to you.” Remus gave a small nod to Snape would looked as if he drank sour milk. He escorted the three students out of Snape’s office and lead them back to the entrance hall before speaking.

“Now, I am fully aware that this piece of parchment is a map.” Ron and Harry looked surprised, but not Astrid. “I am also aware that this is not in fact Astrid’s, because I also know that this map was confiscated by Filch many years ago.” Remus looked over all their faces, “I am astounded that none of you decided to hand it in. If any of you lost it and it ended up in the hands of… an enemy, it could lead them straight to you.”

Astrid almost wanted to laugh, this whole, tip-toe-ing around her was now just insulting.

“I hope you understand now when I say I cannot let you have it back.” Remus stated.

“But, sir-“

“I won’t hear it, Astrid. All of you, get back to your dorms.” Remus walked away, leaving the three of them in the hall.

They were all silent for an awkward moment before Astrid spoke, “We should… get back to the Gryffindor Tower.”

“Yeah.” Ron said, and they all head back.

The awkward silence was unbearable, “Ok, wait – there’s something I think you should know, Harry!” Astrid spoke and rubbed her forehead. “That map, it was created by our dads.”

“What?” Harry asked, shocked.

“Yeah, your dad’s nickname when he came here was Prongs, and my dad’s nickname was Padfoot. Also, in our first year when I looked into the mirror when I said I saw my dog named-“

“Padfoot!” Ron remembered where the named Padfoot was from now.

“Yeah, well, I didn’t see a dog. I saw my dad. So, there. I just thought you deserved to know that that map, in a way, belongs to you.” Astrid said.

Harry was silent for a moment as they slowly continued walking, then he said, “And in a way... it also belongs to you.”

Quick footsteps all made them look forward, and they saw Hermione walking towards them with a sullen look on her face.

“Hermione, what’s wrong?” Astrid asked.

Hermione was holding a letter in her trembling hand, “Hagrid lost his case. Buckbeak has been sentenced to death.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I added Astrid and Athena to the 'Character' section. You can read a bit about them, also their wand readings are a bit different I think. I'll be putting up Amilia's info later. Okay, well, please comment! :D Comments make me happy (and update faster, honestly. I wasn't going to write today, but I was reading through the comments and I just had to put this out for you all)!