Rein

chapter 14

Rein
“The prices here are ridicules.” I said as I looked over the menu.
“You’re worth it.” Adrian said, smiling at me over the menu. A light blush graced my cheeks.
“You’re even more beautiful when you blush. Though I have to admit that I didn’t think you could get any more beautiful.” He said causing me to blush deeper. “And don’t be afraid to eat. I’ve been to your house for dinner in the past, so you know that the way you eat isn’t going to scare me away.” He added then sent me a wink.
“I think everyone knows I’m a meat girl not a ‘salads and starve’ girl.” I joked.
This is how the car ride got after we got over the awkward silence. He would be serious and then joke and I’d join in on the joke. It seemed to me he was trying to prove things could work. And I could tell that it could.
But, I couldn’t forget last night with Stephen. I knew that things could work with both of them, but it was Stephen who was on my mind. Did that mean I was ready to choose? Did I already pick Stephen without realizing it?
“Rein, you okay?” Adrian asked.
“Yeah, sorry I was just lost in my thoughts.”
“Again?”
“Yeah, it is the curse of being a nerd. You learn to keep everything inside your head and enjoy your own company.”
“You were always invited to hang out with your brother and the rest of us.”
“I know. I just always felt like I was intruding.”
“I always liked it when you were around.” He said reaching forward and grabbing my hand. He caressed the back of my hand with his thumb. “I like being around you it’s my favorite place to be.”
I looked up blushing as deeply as ever, and whispered, “That’s a bit heavy for a first date don’t you think?”
“I think it’s something you should know. You should also know that you are one of the most beautiful, outstanding, and wise girls I’ve ever met.”
“Thank you Adrian.” I said, because there was nothing else I could think to say.
“It’s true.” He urged as if he didn’t trust that I believed him.
“I trust you on that but that doesn’t mean it’s any less deep. Or any less scary.”
“Scary?”
“Relationships aren’t exactly my forte.” I said looking down and pulling my hand free of his.
“Only because of the stupidity of others.” He said reaching forward and caressing my face now.
“No because dating me is like buying a broken house.”
“What do you mean by that?”
“You can fix up some rooms make it look nice but if the foundation is fucked the house is worthless.”
“Then you’re not a broken house, because you are far from worthless.”
“I’m not sure on how you’re judging that.”
“I’m judging that on how many people love you and on how much you care for those around you.”
I looked up at him and smiled. “Is that the measure of a person? How many people love them based on what they see?”
“Only when the people who are counted have been around the person long enough to see their truths.”
“Then there isn’t really anyone who you can ask about me.”
“You have your secrets, your past, and your baggage. But the way you handle everything is the true measure of a person.”
“And how do I handle my past?”
“You hide it, weather to protect yourself or others I don’t know. You don’t burden people when you have a problem; I’m assuming that has something to do with your past. If you need to talk I’m always here.”
“Thanks” I said. I noticed he was still caressing my face so I pulled away. It just wasn’t the same as when Stephen’s hands glided across my skin.
“May I take your orders?” I well-dressed waiter with a thick French accent asked.
“Oh yes, I’ll have the Filet de Porc Sauce Normande if you please.” Adrian said then turned to look at me expectantly.
“I’ll have the Carre d'Agneau, please.” I said sending a smile to the stunned waiter.
“I don’t think he expected you to order.” Adrian whispered after the waiter retreated.
“He certainly wasn’t expecting that order.” I said a giggle escaping my lips. I was starting to get whiplash from the sudden subject changes though.
And that’s how our date went. We would start off on a serious topic. The topic would somehow spin its way into a joke and then the cycle would repeat.
We talked through dinner and Adrian insisted we had dessert. However, when we saw the size of the dessert our neighboring table received we decided to split one. We decided on a chocolate cake à la mode. When the creamy dessert arrived our eyes were diffidently bigger than our stomachs. Even with the both of us working on the dessert we barely made it halfway through the chocolaty goodness before we couldn’t eat anymore.
When we had finished Adrian paid and escorted me like a proper gentleman to his car. He opened the door for me and helped me in and closed the door for me. He was being the perfect gentleman. He was trying to prove a point, he was showing that he had the resources to take care of me, and he was trying to win me.
My worries, however, were that once he had me he would get bored and quit trying. I had seen it happen in school, read about in online, and in novels. I was afraid that I would make the wrong decision and end up unhappy with the one I picked. I was afraid of being wrong and having to suffer for it.
But, what was to say, that, Stephen wouldn’t do that. He could get bored and walk away just as easily as Adrian could. Either way, either of them could walk away. To make matters worse the realization hit me that I would have to walk away from one of them first. I had to do to one what I didn’t want either to do to me.
“Are you sure you are alright? You’ve been kind of here then gone all night.” He asked.
“Yeah, I’m just trying to decide.” I said honestly.
“Care to share your musings?” He asked nonchalantly, but his hands tightened with nervousness on the wheel.
“You’re both great in different ways and I’m afraid that once I make my decision whoever I get will get bored and leave or stop trying.”
“I wouldn’t stop trying because I would be afraid to lose you.” He said in a serious tone. He reached over and grabbed my hand, giving it a light squeeze before letting is settle on the council between us. And that simple gesture made my stomach flip, and my decision became that much more confusing.