Status: Recently Updated--Hoping to get past this writer's block. Suggestions Welcome!

Heartless

Chapter Five

“What? How?” Scott questioned. I seemed to have even shocked Derek when I called Scott out being a werewolf as well as himself.

“My family.” I stated deciding not to mention the Archers’ in case they didn’t know about them, which was a very small possibility. “They were hunters. It’s how they died.” I explained before anyone could say something.

“What happened exactly?” Stiles asked quietly.

I was silent for a minute before saying, “They were slaughtered. In front of me by my-” I stopped short before I could finish that sentence. I chose my words carefully before continuing, “…by an Alpha.”

“Is it still alive?” I heard someone ask, not looking up from the spot I had been staring at from the floor for the past 5 minutes or so.

“Yes.” I stated coldly.

“And the Archers?” Derek asked his voice showing no emotion.

I snapped my head up and looked him directly in the eye while I said, “It’s why I live with them. Look my parents may have been hunters but that doesn’t mean I’m going to follow in their footsteps. I would only kill if I had absolutely no other option.”

“That’s not enough.” Derek threatened taking a step closer to me.

I responded by getting into his face angrily and growling, “There’s only one werewolf I would kill. That happens to be the one that slaughtered my family. The Archers only know about you and by the sounds of it, they have long before Scott ever came around.”

“Well I trust her.” Scott butted in, making sure he cut off Derek from what he was about to say, “And we saved your life which means you leave us alone, Jane included. If you don’t I’ll go back to Allison’s dad and tell him everything.”

“Scott-” I started taking a step away from Derek, about to tell him that that was a terrible plan.

“Your gonna trust them? You think they can help you?” Derek’s voice draining out my own.

“Well why not? They are a lot fricken’ nicer than you are.” Scott shot back, his temper raising.

Derek scoffed not believing what Scott had just said. “Yeah I can show you how ‘fricken’ nice’ they are. You should see this too.” He stated walking out of the room slamming his shoulder into my own as he did so. “Both of you.”

**********

I followed Derek’s black Camaro to the Beacons Crossing Home, where I followed Scott and Derek inside silently. Derek led us directly to a room that he seemed familiar with. When he opened the door the room was dark except for the small amount of moonlight that was shining through the only window. There was a young and somewhat handsome man sitting in a wheelchair staring blankly in front of him in the center of the room. He looked no older than mid 30s. The closer of a look I got at him the more my stomach churned uncomfortably, making me feel uneasy around him, like something wasn’t right.

“Who is he?” Scott finally asked breaking the awkward silence that had formed.

“My Uncle, Peter Hale.” Derek responded not once looking away from the fragile man in front of us.

“Is he…like you, a werewolf?” Scott asked curiously.

“He was, now he’s barley even human. Six years ago my sister and I were at school when our house caught on fire. Eleven people were trapped inside. He was the only survivor.” Derek said mourningfully.

“What makes you so sure they set the fire?” I challenged trying to defend my foster family.

Derek scoffed again and snapped, “Cause they were the only ones that knew about us.”

“Then they had a reason.” Scott tried to reason.

Derek gave us a hard look before saying, “Give one good reason that justifies this”, turning his Uncle’s wheelchair around so we got a full view at his face. I gasped in horror, covering my mouth with my hands at the sight of melted and scorched flesh on the poor man’s face. Not believing anyone, let alone the Archers, could have done something so cruel to people.

“They say they will only kill an adult and only with absolute proof. There were plenty of ordinary people caught in that fire. This is what they do. And this is what Allison will do, hell probably even her.” Derek stressed shoving his finger is my face.

“Allison would never do such a god awful thing and neither would I.” I snarled tears picking in my eyes, “I’m not proud of what my parents were! Hell I even disobeyed them and dated one of your kind! And guess what?! He was the one that murdered them! My family followed the code down to a point and even then didn’t kill if they didn’t have to. The Archers are no different! So don’t you dare say otherwise.” I snapped before storming out of the room and running to my car.

I stormed out of the hospital allowing the cold rain to soak my clothes, chilling me to the bone as I made my way to the crowd angrily. I let the tears fall freely as the sobs began to rack violently from my chest, the painful memories flooding back to me. I angrily slammed my fists into the wheel causing the horn to blare angrily. I started the car roughly after taking a few deep breathes and pealed out of the parking lot. Hoping to god I’d never see that cruel and heartless man ever again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello everyone! Okay so this one was somewhat darker, but now you know some of the story of how Jane's family died and why she is the way she is. Im sorry there isnt much of a 'romance' going on with Derek but there will be soon i promise!
Comments and Messages are a MUST!

xoxo,
Sam