Status: Recently Updated--Hoping to get past this writer's block. Suggestions Welcome!

Heartless

Chapter Seven

I dropped the papers onto the floor, causing a small thud.

“Hello Jane.” The man said not moving from leaning against the wall by my bay window.

“Derek.” I breathed attempting to catch my breath, “What the hell are you doing here?”

“Watching Scott. He’s not safe with the Alpha running around crazy.” Derek said simply.

“And hanging in my room is protecting him?” I questioned, bending down to pick up the papers.

“No, but I wanted to apologize about last night.” He said shrugging simply.

I looked at him for a minute in shock before shaking my head, “Scott put you up to this didn’t he?” I asked throwing the papers onto my desk.

Derek ignored my question and walked towards me. He scanned my face thoughtfully, staring deep into my eyes. His beautiful eyes were taunting showing so many emotions but none at the same time. His clean musky scent washed towards me as he stepped closer, uncertain. He shook his head slightly, breaking our eye contact, before walking towards the window saying, “I still don’t trust you.”

“You think I trust you?” I asked still dazed about what just happened. Derek smirked at that and jumped out of my window gracefully, running towards the forest.

**********

I woke up early a few mornings later, getting ready for the day. Today was a special day. It was Allison’s 17th birthday. She hated her birthday; it was the one thing that made her different than all the other kids in her grade. I loved birthdays though, especially watching the people’s reaction when they open a present. It’s priceless.

I slipped on some dark wash jeggings and light brown combat boots. I threw on a silk pale green flow-y tank that had small gold buttons going up it, and my brown leather slightly cropped blazer. To finish up the outfit I put in some feather earrings that had dark neutral colors in them and a very low lying necklace that hit a few inches above my belly button.

A soft knock on the door interrupted my dressing and Helena popped her head in to say, “Are you almost ready? We are about to wake Allison up.”

I nodded quickly saying, “I just have to do my makeup and then I’ll be right there.”

She nodded and left me to my peace. I ran to the bathroom and put on some soft gold eye shadow with a hit of dark green in the corner. I put on my usual black mascara and eyeliner before deciding to put on some pale pink lip gloss to finish it off. Leaving my hair down and in its natural curls, I quickly grabbed my messenger bag and cell phone before running downstairs to meet Chris and Helena in the kitchen. Kate was there too but didn’t even look up when I entered the room. We had never gotten along, instead avoided all possible contact.

“Someone’s in a good mood” Chris noted.

I bobbed my head happily, “Our girl is turning 17 today!” I said happily, kissing his cheek as our traditional morning greeting. Chris smiled at me warmly and placed the paper he was reading down so we could go upstairs and surprise Allison with her breakfast in bed.

We snuck upstairs silently and burst through the bedroom door yelling, “Happy Birthday!” Allison jumped up from her peaceful slumber surprised. She laughed at our happy faces and yawned a ‘thanks.’ Helena and Chris placed her pancakes and OJ on her bedside table before giving her hugs and kisses then leaving for work. I plopped on her bed crossing my legs helping her eat the food.

“So, do you feel any older?” I teased, taking a bite of the pancakes.

“God yes.” She laughed but not merrily, “Do me a favor, and not tell anyone that it’s my birthday. I hate being a year older than everyone…” She said sadly, stabbing at one of her pancakes.

“Hey now! No one is going to care that you’re 17 sweetheart! It wasn’t you fault you were held back, if it’s anyone’s fault it’s Chris’ for making you move so much!” I said trying to cheer her up.

“Okay.” She smiled sweetly, “Now shoo, I have to get ready.” waving me out of the room with her hands frantically.

“Alright! Alright! What’s the hurry, excited to see a certain someone? Hmmm?” I teased, taking the plates from her room. “I’ll see you at school!” I called to her as I ran down the stairs.

**********

The school day had just ended and I didn’t see Allison anywhere. Come to think of it I didn’t see Scott either. As I was walking to my car I pulled out my iPhone and tried calling Allison for the 5th time that day.

“Allison, call me when you get this.” I said, starting my car. I threw my phone on the passenger seat next to me, along with my coat and pealed out of the parking lot driving to where I thought they might be. I parked along the side of the road and walked into the forest. I took the trail that I usually took when running, the trail I took when I was attacked. After an hour or so I hadn’t found Allison or my iPod for that matter. I sighed annoyed, but stopped short when the sound of gun shots echoed through the forest. I ran in the direction it came from, curiosity getting the best of me. After coming to a brief stop I began to survey my surroundings, trying to get my bearings. I was about to turn around when suddenly I was hit from behind. The person who hit me and myself went tumbling down the hill, getting tangled in each other. When we finally stopped, the person was pinning me down on the ground, our legs tangled and chests pressed together.

I let out a moan of pain moving my head to the right only to run into someone’s cheek. The person raised their head at the sound of my groaning and turned to look at me.

“Derek?” I asked still slightly out of breath, once I got a clear view at his face.

“Jane?” He asked just as confused. He raised himself onto his forearms to get some of his weight off of me, by placing them on either side of my face. He stared at me for a minute before slowly getting up. It wasn’t until that moment I noticed that he was shirtless, his arms flexed as he stood up. His abs clearly defined. I tore my eyes away slightly flushed, not wanting him to catch me staring. I started to stand up when a hand appeared in front of me. I accepted Derek’s help with a look of slight confusion. He pulled me up with such strength that I stumbled into his chest. Out of natural instinct, I flung my free hand out to stop myself, placing it on his lower chest.

“Sorry.” He muttered quietly, staring down at me.

I nodded slowly clearing my voice before saying, “What happened? I thought I heard gun fire.”

“Your beloved Aunt Kate paid me a visit with some old ‘friends’.” He said angrily, dropping my hand but not stepping away from me.

“She’s not my Aunt. Kate and I don’t necessarily….see eye to eye.” I tried to explain.

Derek scoffed at what I said clearly not believing it. He stepped away from me, looking away.

“Do you really think that because I live with them, I’m a cold blooded killer?” I asked angrily.

“Yes. That’s exactly what you are.” Derek said staring me down.

“You really have no idea who I am then.” I stated throwing my hands in the air, as a way of showing I was giving up, “I am nothing like Kate, and I never will be.” I finished walking away from him.

It wasn’t long after I stormed away from Derek that I realized I had no idea where I was.

“Why must I have such horrible luck?!” I muttered to myself searching my pockets for my phone. “No-No-No!” I uttered clearly upset. It was just then that I remembered my phone was still in the car on the passenger seat.

“You always did forget you phone.” I heard a familiar and taunting voice from behind me. My body stiffened and my blood ran cold at the familiarity of the voice. I turned around slowly, terrified of what I would see.

“Vincent.” I muttered voice full of terror.

“Hello Jane.” He smirked slyly.

Jane's Outfit: http://www.polyvore.com/janes_outfit/set?id=36318205
♠ ♠ ♠
OH!!! Another cliffhanger!! You all must really hate me right now dont you! hahahaha well anyway i hope you all enjoyed this one, i had fun writing it. As you may have noticed i created a polyvore page, it helps some readers picture things better. I'll proably throw some of those in there from time to time. Thanks for reading!
Comments are a MUST!

xoxo,
Sam