Status: Completed!

Boys With Girlfriends

Epilogue

The was wedding pushed back to the middle of September. They decided to hold the wedding in Chicago. It was a happy medium for both of their families and it was the city they called home. The leaves were changing colours and the weather was just turning chilly. From the room she was getting ready in, she could see the finishing touches being put on the ceremony area. As Joelle stared out the window with a faint smile on her face, it was chaos just behind her. Although her four bridesmaids consisting of: Caroline, Abby and her two older sisters, Maisey and Beth ran around frantic, the bride felt a sense of calm. Her niece Ophelia wandered up to her aunt. The little girl was in a trance, staring at the white lace wedding dress. Joelle felt a bump at her side. Ophelia reached out and smoothed down a crinkle in Joelle's dress. Although Joelle's face adorned no make up and her hair was up in a loose bun for the moment, the young girl said, "You look very pretty JJ." Hoisting her up onto her hip, Joelle gave her a kiss on the crown of her head. "You do too Ophelia."

Ophelia beamed and touched her own dress. "Joelle! You're going to be late for your own wedding if you keep daydreaming about it!" Beth called out. Placing Ophelia back on her feet, Joelle went and sat down in front of the big vanity. Ophelia took a seat by her aunts feet and watched as the rest of the women did Joelle's hair and make up. There was bickering on what to do with Joelle's hair but her mother came in to sort it out. The finish product looked stunning. With her long hair in a loose fishtail braid, pink flowers stuck in the nooks, the veil cascaded down her back, the length of her dress. It was her mothers from her wedding day. Caroline had put on just enough make up for the light to catch her eyes and cheekbones and make them glow. No glasses rested on the bridge of her nose. Tightening the buckles on her heels and fastening the blue earrings, she was ready. When she looked up, all five women dressed in matching purple dresses were gazing at her. "You look like a princess aunt JJ!" Ophelia squealed this time. Beth stood behind her daughter and smirked at her little sister. "Someone's all grown up." Her mom had tears in her eyes. "You do look beautiful Joey." Joelle expected it and gave her a hug.

"I just need to get down the aisle without tripping in these heels."

••••••

Seeing the amount of people made her knees wobble. She trusted Jon with inviting his only teammates but a quarter of the NHL was there. Then again her side of the family made up for it. Overall there were a few hundred people there. We should have just eloped in Vegas. Turning away from the crowds of people gathering, Joelle ran right into her fathers chest. If it weren't for his strong, long arms, Joelle would have fallen over her own feet. "Are you ready for this?" He asked his daughter once she was steady on her own two feet. More than anything she was scared to leave her father. That's what getting married felt like to her. Jonathan was now taking her fathers place in being her sole protector. "Yes, just a little nervous." She answered with a shaky smile.

"Don't be. I'm right here the whole time." He held out his arm for her. Joelle took it with a new reassurance. Her dad would be there more than just to walk her down the aisle. As the small band to the side started up the music, the fuzzy feeling in her body began and it stayed the whole trip down the white carpet. She felt all the hundreds of eyes on her but Joelle kept hers glued on Jon's. Her strides became confident and no longer nervous. Jonathan smiled at her knowing it would help calm the nerves. He had wondered since the night before how she was feeling, what her dress looked liked and now that he saw her walking ever so slowly toward him, Jon felt many butterflies. His eyes had landed upon the most beautiful thing to grace his sight in the 24 years he had walked the earth. As he imagined, her dress wasn't full of ruffles or crystals. It wasn't the big get-up girls called a Cinderella dress. This dress fit her like a glove and enhanced her curves. The lace made her skin look silky smooth. The veil didn't cover up her face showing off the natural beauty usually masked by her glasses. It seemed different to him not seeing those glasses resting on the bridge of her nose but he also loved it. Jonathan suddenly felt out-dressed and insecure in his suit with matching purple accents. Joelle finally reached Jonathan. Her father handed her off with a kiss on the cheek.

"You look stunning." Jon whispered to her before the priest could start. A faint blush swept across her cheeks. Giving him a cheeky side glance she said softly, "Not too bad yourself."

••••••

It was nearing eleven at night and the reception was still in full swing with the remaining people. The older family members and ones with young kids had left. Joelle and Jon sat together at the bridal party table taking a moment to themselves. All night they had been on their feet, catching up with friends and family. The whole night it seemed their time together was always short. Some of the tables had been pushed aside to make way for dancing earlier in the night. They watched as a very intoxicated Adam Burish was reunited with his old team mates. Light chuckles escaped their lips as Adam danced with a bottle of wine because everyone else had playfully pushed him away. Kicking her feet up onto a nearby chair, Joelle layed her head down on Jonathan's shoulder. "We're married." He whispered to himself and his wife before kissing the top of her head. The thought had finally struck both of them.

"It's kind of weird, isn't it?" She thought, looking up at him. Tilting his head to look at Joelle, he stared into her big doe like eyes. It gave her a shiver up her spine how intense his gaze was. Then Jon cracked a infamous smirk. "Une sorte de bonne bizarre, Madame Toews."

[A good kind of weird, Mrs. Toews.]

"Je suis d'accord, Monsieur Toews." Joey replied back with a awkward French accent. His smirk widened as he leaned down and planted a kiss on her lips. From the perplexing angle their lips had connected, Joelle reached up and felt the soft tufts of his growing hair. A bright flash broke them apart. Hiding behind a camera was a giggling Ophelia. The two newlyweds smiled at the little girl.

[I quite agree, Mr. Toews.]

"Let's dance baby girl!" Ophelia giggled some more as Jon sprinted over to her and hauled her tiny body up into his strong arms. From the table, Joey sipped her wine and ate some dessert watching the two interact. Jon and Ophelia shared small secrets and sang along to the music together. She knew for a fact the next step was kids for the both of them. But she was going to take it day by day. In the coming year the only thing certain was, the upcoming hockey season and no more schooling for Joelle. Before there had trust issues, but Joelle now trusted her husband with her life. Especially with her guarded heart. More than one person had gotten hurt in the time it took to get to this very day. Including herself, watching Lucy and Jonathan all those years. Although they both went about the wrong way of getting here, it worked. A simple meeting back at Nodak sparked the friendship. A little confession slip up started the secret relationship. It was evident though, that the two belonged to each other. They were the people who made this work from day number one. From this day forward they would stand by each others side.
♠ ♠ ♠
I really hope this was a good way to close this story off. I had a blast writing this although it took me a while! I could only wish you guys liked it. Thank you guys for staying with me and taking the time to read it :) leave me a departing comment lovelies!<3 Love, love, love you gals! :)

PS: if you like Patty Kane check out Old Flame. Hopefully I can get that out soon! Thanks again girls :D