Like Glue

Can't Say No

Chapter One: Can’t Say No

Ianto Jones opened his eyes, previously in a dead sleep only to be awoken by the highly agitating tone of his mobile going off again. He sighed and wiped at his eyes, already having a good guess at who it would be. Leaning over the side of his warm bed, he reached for his mobile blindly in the dark of his room.

He decided on closing the curtains to blot out most, if not all of the afternoon light. They had a long night that turned into an early morning after having quite the time capturing a particularly volatile Weevil. After they returned to the Hub and he actually assessed the state he was in, not to mention how much the dry-cleaning bill would be on his favourite suit, he decided that he’d call it a day, Jack steadfastly agreeing having had to handle some other business.

The Welshman glanced at the face of his mobile in the slim chance that it could possibly be someone else. The name “Rhys” greeted him back, accompanied with the imprint of the man’s face grinning ear-to-ear the last time they had gone to a lunch together.

He flipped open the offensive device, “Ianto Jones speaking.”

It was a bit strange, even Ianto had to admit, having Rhys and his friendship blossom so quickly. The two had some similarities, that even more surprisingly, weren’t just the fact that they were held at gunpoint and were acquainted with one Gwen Cooper. The two men shared an appreciation for the same food and music, they even enjoyed the same films. Rhys was a man with few friends and a heart for millions. Ianto could never actually refuse the man with the irritatingly sugary voice.

“Hey, man. I heard ya got the day off.”

Ianto rested his head back against the bed, his shoulder still sore from earlier he shifted it to relieve some pressure.

“Yes, Gwen’s off too.”

“Ai, but she went out with her friends. Doesn’t get to see them much what with work ‘n all, ya know. So….how ‘bout a guys night out? We can get some food, see a show, go bowling? Whatever’s fine.”

Ianto shut his eyes and covered his face with his arm. Why can’t he just say no?

“I…I would but I got wounded, at work. I think I’m a bit too sore to be much fun.”

“Aww, that’s alright. I can pop ‘round, bring ya some food. How’s that?”

Ianto had to physically repress a sigh. Rhys really has his heart in the right place, all the time.

“Ur…sure?”

“That’s great! I’ll come ‘round yours ‘round eight? S’good?”

“Yeah, that’s fine. Bye, Rhys.”

“Bye, Yan.”

Ianto shut the mobile and tossed it on the bedside, tossing off his covers and rubbing at his face again. Maybe he’ll have enough time for a shower before Rhys’ arrival.