The Faith Full Friendship

the beginning and end

The Faithful Friendship

One rainy fall day a girl who thought she was fading into the darkness of everything going on around her, decided that she wasn’t strong enough to be here anymore. She knew that she only had so much strength to live and she was at the end of it. She decided to call her one friend; the one who she knew could make her smile one last time. As she sat and thought about what to say she picked her phone up and started to dial and he phone begins to ring.

‘Ring ring’

“Hey what’s up?”

“Hey Nate, its Genesis.”

“What’s up Boo.” Genesis smiles at the sound of him calling her boo.

“Can we talk for a couple minutes?”

“Ya boo what’s up you sound like your upset.”

“I wish I could tell you what’s going through my mind.”

“Boo talk to me you know I’ll always be here to listen and talk to you.”

“I know and that’s why I love having you around.”

Genesis looks down and knows that he can tell something is wrong. For a couple minutes the phone has an odd silence. She hears a door close outside. She gets up and looks out the window and there is Nate sitting on the hood of his car. Genesis heads down the stairs and runs over to Nate into his arms. Nate looks down and sees the tears in her eyes.

“Boo what’s wrong?”

Genesis hugs him and whispers “everything!”

Nate lifts her face up so he can see her face and softly says, “Nothing is Boo you’re safe and loved and that won’t ever change.”

Genesis just smiles and knows that he does love and care about her. Nate and Genesis start talking about things and moments that they had done and saw together. Nate recalls the day they really started talking.

“Remember the day that you and I first came started really talking. You were the quiet one over on the couch that stayed quiet. You looked so into Matt’s message. When you walked outside you had tears in your eyes because you knew that he was speaking the truth. I saw you sit on the ground and look at your phone.”

Genesis giggles “you came over like 2 minutes later and took my phone out of my hand and walked away, I was about to kill you.”

Nate smiles and laughs “Ya you looked pretty mad that I had your phone, and was going through it.”

“You think? I was upset and you were taking the only thing at that moment that I was trying to take my mind off of everything with. You know why I was so upset that night. Matt had talked about the very subject I was struggling the most with.”

Genesis looks up. “Who would have thought that my phone and that night would have created this friendship? And a strong one at that!”

He looks down “I know I did, but that was because you were holding it to yourself and I could see that plus I’m just a big teddy bear with a big heart and you looked like you needed someone to be there and I could be.”

He smiles big and looks down at her with his little grin.

Genesis laughs and starts to remember some of the things they have talked about and been though. She remembers the stormy fall night after youth group. Nate was walking by as she was standing in the pouring rain looking up at the sky. Nate stopped and asked what she was doing in the pouring rain. She looked over at him and then looked back up to the sky. He listened and heard her humming a familiar rhythm.

He looked up and started singing “Stand in the rain, stand your ground, stand up when its all crashing down, you stand through the pain you wont drown, and one day what’s lost can be found, if you stand in the rain.”

Nate laughs “Something that you should be living by huh?”

Genesis looks up at Nate, “what do you live by?”

Nate looks down and thinks about what to say. “Genesis everyone thinks I’m such a Christian guy that is so into everything about God and the bible, But I’m not this guy everyone thinks. I mess up and I don’t read my bible like I should, I’m human. I have faults that I don’t let everyone see, that the thing that makes me just like everyone else.”

Nate looks up, “we all make mistakes but those mistakes don’t make us who we are. We are more than the choices that we make and we have to see that and not let our past rule us.”

Genesis looks at Nate with tears running down her face “Nate, how can we when our past is so present in our minds? When the pain is so present like it just happened?”

Genesis looks up and thinks about her past and what has got her here and in the mind set. Genesis’s life was never a perfect easy life. Her dad was never there and was always in jail. Her mom married a guy that Genesis hated with all her heart. Once she got older her mom moved her sister and her 3000 miles away to a new state where they thought life would be better, sadly that wasn’t the case. Life got harder and Genesis got sick. Years later so many things happened that she turned to something that she had to hide. Genesis looks down at her wrist and the scars and looked back at the sky.

Nate looks at her and knows what she is thinking about and how much it is haunting her. “Genesis, remember this, I love you and you know that you are one of my friends and to me you’re my little sister.

Genesis whispers under her breath “I wish it was different.”

Nate looks at her and asks what she said Genesis looks at him and says “I said you’re my little brother. I’m older and don’t forget that!” she giggles but rolls her eyes.

Nate looks over and says “age is only a number and I’m bigger.”

Genesis looks up and laughs, “You’re still younger!”

“And your point is?” Nate smiles and knows what she said but doesn’t know if he should say anything.

He looks at her with a silly smile and just smirks. They both look up at the sky and feel drops of rain on their faces. The sky opens into a down pour and thunder crashes around them. They both start walking towards the path that leads into the field. Nate stops and turns to walk back to his car after grabbing Genesis’s phone and chucks his and hers into his back seat.

As Nate gets back to Genesis’s side the slowly start to walk. Genesis looks towards the field and sees a butterfly trying to escape the rain that is beating down on its wings. Genesis turns back to Nate to see that he is standing with his face turned to the sky with his eyes closed. Rain is falling down around them and he starts to hum a song that is so familiar to her but she knows it’s not Stand in the Rain. Genesis starts thinking about the words that go with the rhythm.

“Wait I know that song!” Genesis says excitedly.

Genesis looks at Nate and looks a little confused.

Nate looks at Genesis and starts singing “This is where the healing begins, oh This is where the healing starts When you come to where you're broken within The light meets the dark The light meets the dark”

Genesis has tears running down her face. “I never thought someone would understand like you do without judging me.”

“Boo your never going to be judged by me, I promise that, you’re my little sister.”

Genesis looks up at him and thinks about what a difference it has made since they met, he has been there through some of the toughest times and he was the only one that could see past the fake smile and actually took the time to see what was wrong because he knew she wasn’t.

“Thank you.” Genesis smiles and snuggles back into the hug.

Nate smiles and gets up from the swing and grabs Genesis by the arm and starts to walk into the field. Genesis looks up and the rain begins to fall again. Nate looks at Genesis and whispers “Let the rain wash away your past He made you new and whole again. Remember the song you are more, it say’s You have been remade!” Genesis looks up and thanks God for Nate. She knows that’s she would not be here if it wasn’t for Nate.

Nate looks at Genesis with a smile and takes Genesis by the hand interlocking fingers and walks into the rain.