Hero

Ichi

He kicked and I quickly dodged and swerved before he moved his arm swiftly toward my head. Ducking, I turned to my left and backflipped until I felt my bare foot connect with his chin. I look to see and there he was, lying on the floor, unconscious. 

"Well done, Hiroaki. You're getting better," Sensei said as he walked into the training room. The traditional kimono that he always wore was all black except for the golden flower on his back. "You still need more training though. The tournament is in three weeks and you must be in tip-top shape before you go. I'll see you tomorrow. Don't be late. Alice! Wake up the boy, would you?" Soon a short blond women came in to wake up my unconscious opponent. 

It always seemed weird to me that Sensei always wore that kimono. It's not like he's actually Japanese or anything. He was a short, middle-aged African American man from Chicago; with the name "Jimmy" as far as I was concerned. Maybe he thought he was actually a ninja or something? Who knows. He's lost a few marbles, I suppose. 

I changed out of my sweats then headed for the door. It was seemingly nice out, considering it was winter in New York City. The snow from yesterday was still on the ground and whenever the many businessmen walked by, it'd make a quick slushing sound that would drive anyone nuts. 

"Hey! Hiro! Hey!" I turned to see where the voice was coming from but only saw more busy people walking by. Was it me or did they all look like they were talking to themselves because of their Bluetooths? "Hiro!" Adrienne came running out of the crowd and tackled me in a hug. "What're you doing here? I haven't seen you since school! Hows break treating you? Get anything good for Christmas?"

Instantly embarrassed, I moved from her embrace and glanced around. It's not that Adrienne was ugly. Quite the opposite actually. She was gorgeous to say the least. Her soft brown hair hung to her small shoulders but was hidden slightly by the pink knitted beanie she wore over it. The coat she wore was over-worn and tattered yet she made the tearing work for her. Adrienne's tiny legs were covered by the skinny jeans she wore. Her face easily outmatched any super model or celebrity ever to walk the earth. The redness in her cheeks brought out her green-brown eyes and the few freckles that spread across her face. 

"Uh, Hiro? You there, buddy?"

"Huh?" I blinked, then blushed when I realized I'd been staring at her the whole time. "I'm sorry. What did you say again?"

She laughed and the bubbly sound instantly made me smile along with her. "I said, what are you doing around here?"

"Oh. My karate dojo is right around the corner," I said, pointing in the direction I came from. 

"I didn't know you did karate! That's so cool. We must catch up. Are you busy right now? No? Great. You're coming with me to go walk my dog." She didn't give me a chance to respond to her question but lead me to walk around anyway. 

I glanced to the ground then back at her. It took me a few more seconds to comprehend it. "But wait. There's no dog."

Adrienne laughed again. "Well, duh. We have to pick her up. That's where I was heading when I ran into you. My dog, Hercules, is with my mom. She needs me to pick him up. She says it's urgent." She sighed then stared silently at the sidewalk and kept walking. 

Sensing an awkward moment coming on I asked her about her Christmas and Adrienne went on into stories about her gifts and what she's done so far. Pretty soon, we were standing in front of a huge building that was...pink? Adrienne stepped inside and I followed, not really sure what to expect.