Damn the Day I Met You

Seventeen.

Peter Menter. I stare at the last name on my list. It was him or I’d be back to square one and I know that Tristan wouldn’t be too happy with that. He’s been on my case for the past two weeks for not having a bodyguard yet. I know he was right, but it’s not like it’s the easiest decision in the world. “Did you find someone?” I hear from the doorway. Tristan was standing there with a tray of food in his hands, probably knowing that I hadn’t eaten all day.

“I didn’t hear the front door close.” I comment, looking back down at the sheet.

He sets the tray in front of us and takes a seat next to me, “well then that must mean you’ve keeping yourself busy.”

I through the paper onto the table and grab a grape from the tray, “I hate this! There’s only one guy left on my list.”

“You don’t have to like the person; they just need to protect you.” Tristan reminds me, pulling me closer so that I’m practically on his lap. “I’m sure this Peter guy will be fine and then you’ll be done and be able to focus on more important things in your life.”

“It would help if I knew what I needed to be protected from.” I nudge Tristan trying to get him to spill.

“Again dear, it’s not my place to tell.”

“Yeah, yeah.”

“But I will sit in on this interview if you’d like.”

I shake my head, thinking about how tired he must be, “you need to regroup. I of all people know the people you deal with on a daily basis.”

He laughs and kisses my cheek “I will say it’s been lonely without you there. The parties suddenly became entertaining as we made fun of them. But now I actually have to do stuff instead of making a good impression by hanging out with you.” Tristan sits there cuddling with me for a bit, waiting for the next interviewee to come through. When there was finally a knock at the door I untangle myself from him and sit up straight, getting ready for something that I can’t really have fail.

Tristan answers the door and leads the Peter fellow through the room to where the interview was to take place. After short introductions we sit down to get to business. I look at my list of questions, the same ones I’d asked all the previous candidates. Every question sounded the same to me now, along with the answers.

A frustrated sigh lets out as I toss down the folder in my hand, “okay, forget those questions. Why do you want to work as my full-time body guard?”

Peter looks shocked for a moment, as does Tristan, but they both quickly get over it. “Well, I don’t have anything better to do with my time than do what I went to school for. As you can tell I’ve worked for multiple companies and individuals through the past and this seemed to fit in with what I do best; protect.”

Trust be told, I had basically memorized his profile and resume. That’s what happens when you stare at it long enough. “You’re in your early 30’s, if you don’t mind me asking, why aren’t you working for some big company like the ones listed?”

Peter squirms a bit in his chair as if he is nervous though when he answers it is with the upmost confidence. “My wife and I switch off dangerous jobs. She’s currently out of the country, I can’t disclose where or for what. It’s my turn to have the job where the probability of anything happening to me is slim to none. This seemed like that type of deal.”

I start to think about what Tristan told me, how little information I actually had about this situation. “I honestly don’t know if you’ll be safe in this job or not Peter.”

“Well of course, ma’am, you will never know.”

“No, no,” I shake my head, trying to clear my thoughts. “I didn’t know I had a bodyguard until a couple weeks ago. I don’t know why I had him or what was going on. So whether your life is in danger or not, I can’t say. All I know is that I’ve been getting these threats in high school and my parents freaked when I went off to college. Their plan failed so here I am, trying to prove that I can do this on my own.”

“Do you have any clue as to who it would be?”

“Nope.” I respond, feeling Tristan tense up a bit next to me, “my father would probably know though.”

“But you’re not currently on talking terms with him, are you?”

I shake my head, “well, I mean not technically-”

“They had a huge fight, she moved in with me, and they haven’t spoken since. It’s been about two weeks. But according to Katie, he’ll come around.” Tristan explains, knowing I’d try to sugar-coat it

Peter looks between the two of us, “right. And how did I end up asking the questions? Isn’t this an interview?”

I chuckle, “well since you’re the last person on my list, it was going to be a yes no matter what. So you’re hired if you want it.”

He was about to open his mouth before Tristan added some information; “also, just so you know before you say yes, my younger sister lives with us too. Of course you’ll only be protecting Katie here. But Lucy might annoy you…a lot.”

Peter smiles, “I’ve got a few younger siblings of my own, so I think I can handle that. But thanks for the heads-up. And I’ll take the position.”

“Really!?” I jump up, pulling Tristan with me, “Thank you so much!” Tristan and Peter laugh at my excitement. “What? I haven’t been let out of the house because I didn’t have a bodyguard. It’s been awhile.”

“Well I’m glad I can be of help. And I can watch the kid tonight if you guys want to get out.”

I look at Tristan with pleading eyes, “no, the whole point of getting a bodyguard was so that you would be safe out on the town.”

“But I’ll be with you.”

“Not good enough Katie. But we can all go out tonight. Go bowling or something.” I frown at the idea of having a group thing tonight. I was hoping that Tristan and I could finally have our first date. I hated not having any one on one time with him and it’s going to get even worse with a bodyguard around.

“Fine. But just so you know I’ve never gone bowling before.”

Peter looks at me confused, probably able to catch on that I was lying. Tristan on the other hand was grinning ear to ear, which is all that matters. As long as he would have his arms around me most the night, teaching me how to bowl, I’d be a content woman.

“Lucy is doing better than you.” Tristan points out for the millionth time of the night, “you’re twice her age.”

“Shut-up and help me.” I say, motioning him over to me. He helps me position like all the times before and gives me hints on how to even hit a pin. Though I’m sure he has given up on me by now. I roll the ball down the lane and this time use my past skills to actually earn myself a strike. I turn and jump into Tristan’s arms in excitement, kissing him on the cheek.

“Finally.” Lucy chirps up behind us. I chuckle and slide down onto my feet. “It’s taken you guys long enough.”

“I’m not that bad at this Luce.”

“I wasn’t talking about bowling. I was talking about kissing.” I blush and hid my red face in Tristan’s shoulder. “It’s taken you two long enough.”

Peter laughs at her little outburst, as does Tristan. But I myself am quite embarrassed. For one, all I did was kiss his cheek, nothing more.

And then I hear a flash and glance behind Tristan to see a guy taking our picture. I groan and bury my face deeper into his shirt. “Ugh, sometimes I just want some privacy.”

“Come on, let’s finish up the game and then head home. You can’t quit now that you’ve actually scored.”

“Oh shush, I bet I can beat you. This round.”

Tristan bursts out laughing, “There is no way you’d be able to beat me at this point. You’ve hit barely anything.”

“So then you have nothing to lose.”

“And what do I get when I win?”

He leans down to whisper in my ear, tingles run through me as his warm breath tickles my skin, “what I want isn’t exactly appropriate.”

Another round of blushing starts with me and I step away a bit. “If you beat me, you can do that.” He cocks an eyebrow in surprise, “and if I beat you, you are to take me on a date.”

“Are you asking me out, Katie DiGerlando?”

“I’m just moving our relationship along.” I smirk and take a seat, leaving him there for a second before he figures that it’s his turn.

“Oh gosh, it’s like watching my younger sister date all over again.” Peter groans from the sidelines. I guess Tristan and I were getting a bit mushy just then.

“You’ve known me for less than a day,” I point out.

“Yes, but it’s just those brotherly instincts, ya know?”

“Sure, whatever.”

Peter chuckles again and then goes up for his turn to bowl. Tristan returns to his seat next to me, a grin on his face. He’d gotten a spare. “You know I won’t be helping you anymore, right?”

“Did I ask for your help?”

“Well no, but you suck without it.”

“We’ll see about that.”

I grab the ball that came through the machine and step up to the lane. “Don’t miss sweetheart,” Tristan calls out with a smirk.

I glance behind my shoulder at him, “don’t worry, I never lose a bet.” And with that I roll the ball, earning myself yet another strike.

Twenty minutes later I was doing my victory dance while Tristan just stood there shocked. “You lied to me.” He says for the millionth time.

“Only to speed things along.”

“Still, you lied.”

“Like I said, I always win a bet.”

“Hmm, sure. Come along now, we need to get home. You’ve got classes to make up for this week.”

I groan and follow him out to the car, Lucy and Peter trailing closely behind. They’d been getting along quite well. Or at least Peter was patient enough to listen to Lucy’s genius speak constantly. Maybe he actually understood the stuff, I don’t know.

Once we get back to the house I go and put Lucy to bed. “Are you and my brother going to get married?” she asks, for once sounding her age.

“You’re smarter than that Lucy.”

“I know, but a girl can dream, right?”

I smile and kiss her forehead, “right. I promise that even when I’m back in the US, I’ll still be around for you.”

“Really?”

“Of course! How could I leave a precious girl like you behind? Plus, who else would convince your brother to let you date?” Lucy laughs and hugs me tightly, “but that won’t be happening for a few years. And I still have about six months until I have to go back. So we don’t even need to worry.” I tuck the blankets in around her and hand over her stuffed bunny. “Goodnight Lucy.”

“Goodnight. Don’t be too loud with my brother.”

I shake my head at how smart she was sometimes, “I won’t.”

“Eww! I was joking.”

“I was too. Now go to sleep kiddo, we’ve got a long day ahead of us tomorrow.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the lateness. It's the same old excuse...School. Seriously tough, wait until you're a senior in college and then try to convince me you have time to actually do stuff. THEY'RE FINALLY GONNA GO ON A DATE! Or at least she won the bet, we'll see if it actually happens.
What do you think of Peter? (just to clear something up he's like 15 years older than Katie and Tristan..I'm making him about 35 or so.)

Comment.Subscribe.Befriend.Recommend.Promote.Read.Write.Smile.
Please.
<3 Justrealizelife