Status: Completed

My Gorgeous Nightmare

Chapter 3

The next few months passed fairly quickly. Mom and William lived in their own little world, while Ronnie and I got closer while living our own separate lives. The four of us only spent time together during supper. They were those awkward family meals, where we all sat together, but nobody talks to or looks at anyone else.

It was close to midnight and I was sitting in the backyard, notebook open in front of me. I was supposed to have been out with my friends right now, but Gabe cancelled due to someone having baby drama. I’m definitely not a fan of people getting married and having kids right out of high school. They parents always end up realizing they have no future left and break up, fighting about who gets custody of the kids. I wasn’t the most sympathetic person in those types of situations, which was one reason I hadn’t gone with Gabe. The other reason being that Lily and I weren’t friends. At all. Anyways…

I’d written poems to fill a few pages before running out of ideas. All the lights were off as I made my way through the house.

“The stairs are this way,” I heard Ronnie whisper to someone I couldn’t see. I could hear their shoes shuffling on the carpet so I knew Ronnie wasn’t talking to me.

“Please don’t say you found a girl to fuck all night,” I said. I heard a loud thump, as if someone had tripped on the stairs. Flipping on the lights, I couldn’t help but laugh at the two men laying on top of one another on the stairs. Well, at least it wasn’t a hooker; at least, he didn’t look like one.

“I was trying not to wake our parents,” Ronnie said, disentangling himself.

I shook my head. “You shouldn’t have bothered. They left a few hours ago, saying something about not being back for a few days. Not sure where they went though, and don’t really care.”

“Really? That’s, nice? I don’t really know what to think about that.” Ronnie looked lost as I made my way up the stairs past him and his still un-named friend. “A.C., wait!” he called out as I reached the top. “This is Ryan, my new drummer. He’s gonna be staying here tonight. Ryan, this is my sister.”

I nodded at Ryan. He didn’t look like the rest of Ronnie’s band. I’d already met Jacky and Derek; like Ronnie, they both had numerous tattoos. Ryan though, didn’t have any that I could see. He waved at me in response.

“Well,” I said, breaking the awkward silence. “Have tonight you two with whatever it is you plan on doing. Nice meeting you Ryan.” As I walked to my room I could hear the two men talking on the stairs. I shut the door behind me and turned up Get Scared. I heard the guys in Ronnie’s room for awhile before my music was the only sound in the house.

I walked downstairs to make breakfast after watching the sun rise. I made a tall pile of pancakes and put them on the counter. I made my way back upstairs for a shower. I looked in the mirror, taking in my pale skin with the dark circles under my eyes that never left. With enough make-up though, I managed to make those circles lighter, so it looked like any other person that didn’t sleep for a night.

I was surprised to find Ronnie and Ryan sitting at the kitchen table when I went back down. Not surprising however, was that half the pancakes were already gone. I pulled what was left towards me and started eating. Ryan watched in amazement as I devoured the entire pile. “I’m the skinniest fat person you’ll ever meet,” I said to him. “One of you can get the dishes; I have to get to work.”

Walking through the neighborhood, I thought about how much I hated my job. Granted, it was a paycheck, and I needed a paycheck, but did it really have to come from Burger King?

I spent the next 9 hours there, working my ass of for less than $8 an hour. I passed the time day dreaming and wishing I could strangle just one customer. One was all I needed to make me feel better. But unfortunately, my manager was not a fan of the idea, pointing out to me that murder has yet to be legalized in the state of Nevada. Or anywhere else in the country, for that matter.

I won’t bore you with the rest of my day though, so I’ll just skip to when I got home. As soon as I walked in, I could tell Ronnie was excited about something, but he wouldn’t tell me what. “Go take a shower and change your clothes, you smell like BK,” he said. “When you’re done I’ll tell you.”

I ran upstairs and did as told. When I finished, I found Ronnie sitting on the couch grinning like a little kid who’d just won the best prize at the carnival.

“Now that I smell like coconut instead of burgers and fries, tell me why you’re so excited,” I said.

He hesitated, looking down at his phone in his lap. “Max Green and I are friends again,” he said in a rush.

I stared at Ronnie in shock before jumping up, hugging him. “That’s awesome!” I said as he pulled me up and we did a little happy dance together.

“Um, A.C.,” Ronnie said quietly. “Can I invite Max over tomorrow?”

“Why are you asking for my permission?” I asked. The only response I got was a shrug of shoulders and puppy dog eyes. I rolled my eyes before answering. “Of course he can come over! Now, we need to celebrate.”