Sequel: Today

Last Thing My Heart Expected

two

‘Morning, beautiful,’ Scotty’s text read the next morning. I knew everyone was gone already, so I told him I’d pick him up so we could go get my truck. I drove my little Buick over to the hotel and picked him up and we started the hour drive towards my uncle’s garage.

“Uncle Cam, I’m going to be at the garage in about twenty minutes. My truck’s there, right?” he replied with a yes. I smiled. “See you soon,” I ended our phone call.

“Alright, where did you get a truck?” Scotty asked.

“My older brother left it to me,” I replied.

“Jordy?”

“Yes, it was his first and only truck.”

“Oh, okay, I didn’t know.”

“I only found out yesterday. He left letters for me. I get one every year on my birthday. He covered me until my 25th birthday. He died while writing 26.”

“I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay, that was a long time ago. But that’s why I always stay at my house on my birthday.”

“Okay, listen, when we get back, I just want to give you your present. I know I said I’d wait until tomorrow, but I can’t wait any longer.”

“Awesome, a new truck and my boyfriend’s present. Today will be amazing. Will you drive the Buick home for me?”

“Sure, as long as you don’t speed all the way back so I can follow you.”
“I’ll try,” I smiled at him, he nodded and turned up the radio to our song, Are You Gonna Kiss Me or Not. We sang in perfect harmony and reached the garage two songs later.

“Your voice just keeps getting better and better,” he said wrapping an arm around my shoulders.

“Thank, babe. Hey, Uncle Cam!” I saw my uncle and ran to hug him. He had been unable to attend my party the night before.

“Got the keys, darling?”

“Right here,” I held them up for him to see.

“Good, it’s around back. I filled the tank, checked everything to make sure it won’t break down and it’s perfect. Just take it easy today, it hasn’t hit 50 in twelve years.”

“Okay, thanks, Uncle Cam.”

“No problem, now you,” he said to Scotty. “You watch out for this one on tour, she can be a wild one.”

“I will, Sir. I’ll bring her back in one piece, promise.”

“Good, take care now. See you at Christmas?”

“Maybe,” I replied as I kissed his cheek and we went around back to find the truck, just as I remembered it.

“It’s a real beauty.”

“Hey, that’s my truck.”

“Sorry to offend the truck,” he threw his hands up in surrender. I laughed.
“Whatever, get in, I’ll drive you around to the Buick and then you can follow me back. Are we stopping for some lunch?”

“Nah, we’ll eat when we get home.”

“Okay,” we hopped in and I started her up. The truck sounded fantastic and the rev was just amazing. I stopped to let Scotty get settled into the Buick before peeling out of the lot. I saw him laughing in my rearview mirror before catching up.

We pulled into the driveway about an hour or so later and he parked the Buick and got in the truck.

“Where to?”

“The hotel,” he replied. I just drove and we got there within a few minutes. He directed me towards the elevator and into his hotel room. I heard a little ruffle of noise and was suddenly confused. “Wait here,” he instructed. I sat on the couch in the middle of the main room and awaited his return. When he came back, he was holding a little Yorkie puppy. “Happy Birthday.”

“A puppy? Scotty, are we really going to take a puppy on tour?”

“Hell yeah,” he replied. I smiled and kissed him.

“Does she have a name?”

“I was waiting for you to do that,” he said.

“Destiny, Dezzie for short.”

“Dezzie it is.”

“Thank you, I love you.” He put the pup down and it ran around our feet. I smiled while Scotty laughed. The pup barked and that caused me to giggle because she tripped over Scotty’s shoe and went crashing into the floor. I picked her up. “I guess I’m going to like you, we are both complete klutzes,” I told the pup.

“No you aren’t, you are just uncoordinated.”

“At least I’m better on stage,” I laughed as he kissed my temple. I was happy, I had a great boyfriend and a new puppy, and life couldn’t get any better.
♠ ♠ ♠
the end of this one! wait up for the sequel