Status: Completed :)

Love Game

Victims Of Love

Cate's P.O.V.

“So you really threw a drink in his face?” Sasha asked. Jared had already left, and I had filled Sasha in on the night before.

“Yeah, he deserves it,” I said.

“Damn right,” she growled. “I can’t believe he acted the way he did.” I shrugged.

“It doesn’t matter because it’s over.”

“You sure about that?” She knew me too well, and that made me smile.

“I’m positive. I mean, I still love him. I might always love him, but until I know that Jess is gone for good, I’m not going to see him again. Besides, I told him not to call.”

“But will he listen?”

“If he knows what’s good for him. I don’t want to deal with this shit anymore. I’m tired of the heartbreak.” I paused, taking a sip of my drink. “I still can’t believe he was using me to cheat on her.”

“You didn’t know at all?”

“Never got an inkling.”

“I’m really sorry.”

“Don’t be. It was my fault for trusting him.”

“I still feel like a shitty friend for letting you do this.”

“Sash, it’s not your fault. You didn’t know. I didn’t know. I don’t know if anybody except him knew.”

“Yeah, but you were blinded by love. You can spot a decent guy for me miles away.”

“Hey, Jared just happened to show up. I didn’t spot him miles away.”

“You get my point.”

“Don’t sweat it.” The sound of the buzzer on our intercom cut off the conversation. Sasha got up to check it.

“Yes?” she asked.

“Let me up,” Jacoby’s voice answered. I stared wide eyed, shaking my head wildly.

“Can’t do that.”

“Please,” he begged. “I need to talk to Jordana.”

“Cate doesn’t want to talk to you. Frankly, I don’t think you should get the chance either.”

“I just need to talk to her for a minute.”

“No. And if you don’t leave, I’m calling security.”

“I’ll be back.” That was it.

“Wish he’d get a fucking hint,” I growled. Sasha came over and hugged me tightly.

“Love’s a bitch,” she said. “We’re just the victims of it.”

Over the next week, Jacoby kept showing up, begging Sasha to let me talk to him. One time I came out of the shower, hearing her argue with him and telling him to fuck off because he’d already fucked up my life. I was pretty surprised about the way she was acting towards him. Sasha was always so nice and would usually stay quiet than say something mean. I guess this time had gone too far for her liking. I actually liked seeing this side of her. Maybe I’d finally rubbed off on her.

I’d gone out to do the grocery shopping since Sasha said I needed to get away. I think she was hoping I’d be gone when Jacoby showed up so that I wouldn’t have to get upset again. Then again, maybe it was so she could get a chance to really tell him off. I would never know.

However, I didn’t get so lucky. I’d pulled my car into my parking space and was going to the trunk when I heard him. I looked up, seeing him with his hands pressed against the building as he leaned forward to the intercom.

“Come on, Sasha,” he begged. “At least let me talk to her over the intercom.”

“Can’t because she’s not here,” Sasha’s voice quipped, harsher than I’d ever heard it before. “Even if she was, I’m not letting her talk to you. I’m doing my best to make sure she doesn’t even hear your voice.”

“Just one minute.” There was desperation in his voice. It was so strong, that I froze watching him, almost tempted to run up to him and pull him in my arms. Almost.

“Hell no. I’m not letting her talk to you. I can’t believe you actually have the nerve to keep showing up here.”

“I need to talk to her.”

“Should have thought about that before you led her on.”

“Sasha!” he yelled, but I guess she’d gotten fed up and ignored him. “Jordana!” For a moment, I thought he had figured out I was there, but then I realized he was still talking to the intercom. “Damn it!” he yelled, punching the building. He turned around, I’m assuming to go to his car.

“Shit,” I said under my breath when we locked eyes. He started walking towards me, and I knew I didn’t have a chance in getting away. He was before me in less than a minute.

“Jordana,” he said, coming forward with arms open. I stepped away out of his reach.

“It’s Cate,” I replied, a little harshly. “My name’s Cate.”

“I guess I don’t blame you for that.”

“I told you not to come here.”

“Technically, you said not to call.” I gave him a blank look. “Baby—”

“I’m not your baby. Not anymore,” I said, struggling to keep my voice steady.

“Cate,” he sighed. “I miss you.” I crossed my arms over my chest.

“Do you? I thought I was just a sex toy for you since your girlfriend couldn’t come to see you.”

“You know that I love you.”

“I don’t know shit because I can’t trust you anymore.” He sighed again.

“Cate, what do you want from me?”

“Isn’t it obvious? I want you to break up with her.”

“I can’t do that.”

“Then you don’t really love me.”

“I do, Cate. I love you so fucking much.”

“Then why can’t you leave her?” I seethed.

“Because she’s pregnant, Cate!” I stared in shock. “I’m not going to be the asshole father that leaves his kid.”

“Do you love her?” I asked softly.

“Does it matter? I’ve got to be there for the kid.”

“Are you that fucking stupid?” I snapped. “You don’t have to marry the chick just because you knocked her up. You don’t have to marry her to be a great dad! My parents never married, didn’t stay together after my mom got pregnant, and I couldn’t ask for better parents. And I’d be okay with moving to wherever the hell your kid lived just so you could be a part of your kid’s life. Want to know why? Because my love for you will extend to anybody that you love too. I don’t fucking care who the mom is because as long as it’s your kid, I’m going to love it.” He just stared at me. I shook my head. “What do you fucking care? You’re not going to listen to stupid old me.” I grabbed the few bags of groceries and slammed the trunk shut before walking to the apartment building.

“Cate, wait one damn minute,” he demanded, grabbing my arm and holding me in my place. I turned towards him, sending him a death glare.

“What now?” I hissed.

“This can still work between us.”

“What the fuck are you talking about?”

“Us, baby.” I gave him an icier glare. “We can still have us.” I stared at him, trying to figure out what he meant. “I don’t love her, Cate. She doesn’t have to know about us. We can still see each other.”

“Oh my God. Who the fuck do you think I am?” He stared at me.

“You and I both know we can’t live without each other, and you can’t resist me. Stop fighting this and just give in.”

“You want to continue cheating on your soon to be wife?” I screamed. “No way, Jacoby. It’s bad enough I did it unknowingly. I’m not going to let you continue cheating. It’s shitty and wrong. Plus, it’s demeaning to me! I’m not going to sneak around to be with you, Jacoby! I might love you, but I’ve still got morals unlike you. And I’m done with you.” I jerked my arm out of his grip and stormed off. I looked over my shoulder to see him still rooted to the same spot. “Don’t come around here anymore unless you break it off with her!” I shouted and then stormed away.
♠ ♠ ♠
Song for this chapter: "Victims of Love" by Good Charlotte

So Cate got all of her anger out now. Anyone else just want to smack some sense into Jacoby? And who else got pissed off at him at the end?

Thanks to the following for commenting:
bloodyvengeance
lixie_iceninekiller
Squeak


Also thanks to the readers and subscribers!