Status: active. (:

Chasing Stars to Lose Our Shadows

01

"Wendy, darling, would you mind watching your brothers while your father and I stepped out?"

"Wendy, darling, would you mind washing up the dishes after tea?"

"Wendy, darling, would you mind telling the boys a bedtime story?"

Of course I didn't mind, not that I had much of a choice anyways. Me being the eldest in the house I was expected to do a lot of things, sometimes too many things. I suppose Nana, our dog, wasn't too much of a help either but we got along just fine.

It was winter at the time and a light snow was falling outside.

"Well Wendy, darling, would you look at that?" Mother said, stepping towards me, her lacy pink gown trailing behind her. My mother really was beautiful, in a sense, but she tried too hard sometimes. Her makeup was dripping from her eyes when she walked in but there was no way I'd risk saying something to her.

"It really is something, isn't it?" John had wandered in the room. He began to ramble facts about snowflakes and I suppose Mother was listening but I wasn't. My first younger brother was ten and he thought he knew everything. Normally I would've asked him to please stop being such a bother but with Mother here I couldn't.

"Wendy, darling, I think I'd like to go for a stroll. Could you please watch your brothers?" Mother turned to me, her face bright.

I smiled. "Of course. Have fun, Mother." She stepped out and John looked up at me.

"Wendy," he sighed. "Will you tell us a bedtime story?"

I looked at him and looked around for Michael, who was no where to be found. "I suppose. Go find Michael while I freshen up and I will see what I can do for you."

John's face brightened. "Oh, thank you thank you thank you!" He rushed out of the room and I went to the bathroom to wash my face and change out of my clothes.

When I returned John and Michael were both in their pyjamas sitting eagerly on their beds. I went over to mine and straightened out the blankets before climbing in. I lit the candle on my table and got comfortable and finally I was ready.

"Oh, Wendy, make this story about pirates!" John said, slashing the air with his sword.

"Yes, Wendy, Peter Pan and pirates!" Michael began bouncing in his seat.

"Ah, yes," I smiled before continuing. "Ready?"

"Hooray! Pirates!" they both cheered.

"Of course you all know about Captain Hook and his pirate friend, Smee," I began.
And of course you all know about Peter Pan and his fairy friend, Tinker Bell. Well, you see, as with all fairies and most pirates and virtually everything else in Never Land, Pete and Tink were just going about minding their own business when..."

I told my brother's the story of Hook's scheme to "befriend" Peter and use Tink to get top secret information until the fell asleep. I realized I was tired, and I hadn't even gotten to the end of the story yet. I blew out the candle, rubbed my eyes, and was on the verge of sleep when Mother finally came in. Late, I know, but I ws alright with it. I fell asleep listening to the heavy breathing of Michael and I slept soundly, dreaming of no one else but the perfect Peter Pan.