You Know What They Do to Guys Like Us in Hogwarts

A Letter To Home

“You’ll be Slytherin, son, don’t worry,” his father reassured him during the few minutes before he got on the Hogwarts Express.

“There has never been one person in our family that wasn’t Slytherin. We’re pure blood, we are all to be in Slytherin, until we marry a half-blood or mudblood,” the father laughed and smiled, “which will never happen.” His son smiled.

“Thanks.”

“Goodbye, Gerard,” his mother hugged him, “don’t get into too much trouble.” The boy named Gerard sighed.

“Don’t worry, I won't.”

His mother gave him a look that said, “I know what you’re like at home.”

Finally, Gerard looked over to his brother and said, “see ya, Mikey. I’ll make sure I write to you as much as I can, okay?” his seven year-old brother smiled and run up to hug him.

“Bye-bye, Gee, I’m gonna miss you heaps!”

“But I’ll write to you, Mikes.”

“But I want you to stay home!”

“I’m sorry, I have to go to Hogwarts.”

“You better get on the train,” his mother told him, “bye, have fun at school!”

“Bye mum, bye dad, bye Mikey!” he shouted over everybody else as he ran off to get on the Hogwarts Express.

And, as everybody else was doing, Gerard hung his head and arm out the window to wave goodbye to his loving family until they were just a spec in the distance.

***

Dear mum, dad and Mikey,

It’s only my second day at Hogwarts and it’s great. Dad was right, I am in Slytherin. Mum, I haven’t been in any trouble yet. There’s this Potions teacher who seems to take house points from everybody except for Slytherins. I guess that’s pretty cool.

I haven’t made any friends yet, but I’m sure I will soon. Don’t worry, dad, only with other Slytherins. I know how you don’t want me befriending anybody that isn’t pure blood or, for that fact, not a Slytherin.

As for you, Mikey, I must admit that I miss you the most. You’re my little brother and best friend, I never thought I’d miss you as much as I do now.

As much as I love Hogwarts, I also can’t wait for the Christmas holidays to come home and see you all!

Gerard