You Know What They Do to Guys Like Us in Hogwarts

A Halfblood's Trouble

“I wish your father were here to see you go,” his mother scowled, “but he doesn’t know about our way of life. I don’t think he’d approve of it, either.”

“It’s okay,” he smiled, “I know he can’t be here. It’s okay, though. The muggles can’t know about our way of life, and I know you can’t say anything about it,” the boy smiled, “just keep telling him I’m at boarding school. I know you don’t like lying, and that’s the closest you’re going to get to the truth.” His mother smiled.

“Oh, Ray, I’m going to miss you so much! Make sure you write to me and tell me which house you’re in, okay?” Ray smiled.

“I will.”

“It’s not going to be the same not having you in the house. You knew how all the muggle inventions worked, because you’ve grown up with them. I don’t know what I’ll do without you in the house!”

“Just get dad to do it all, and use magic when he’s at work.”

“Ray, you’ve always been the smart one in the family. I don’t know what I’m going to do without you.”

“If you have any trouble, send me an owl. I’ll write back as soon as possible.” His mother smiled.

“Time to get on the train, I think.”

“Bye, mum,” he hugged her and walked off to get onto the train. One very rushed boy pushed him out of the way to get onto the Hogwarts Express, but after that one incident, Ray seemed to be fine. Finding a place to sit, he looked out the window to where his mother was standing and waved at her. She waved tenderly back at him until the train left.

***

Hi mum,

I hope you get this letter okay without dad seeing the owl. I hope you have a good cover for it if he does.

Remember how you said I was the smartest in the family? Well, the Sorting Hat seems to think that, too. I was sorted into Ravenclaw, which is pretty cool. But I really don’t think I’m that smart, everybody here seems to have infinite knowledge of everything. I don’t feel as though I’m smart enough to befriend any of them.

So how are you and dad going? Have you figured out how to use the oven yet? It’s actually pretty easy, if you haven’t then I’m willing to tell you if you want me to.
Well, I don’t have anything more to write for now. But if I find something, then I’ll make sure to tell you. Don’t forget to send me an owl if anything goes wrong!

Ray