Status: in the works.

Through the Afterglow

the downfall of us all

Jazlyn Ambrose
I shot a glare at Rae as I took the boy from the room. Rae and I were best friends, sisters, and we knew what made each other tick, and what got under each others skin, and we used it to our advantages at all times. Obviously, Stephen was cute. Gorgeous, even, but the last thing I needed in my life was a boy friend... or really, a boy anything. I had enough to worry about. More than enough.

Rae and I had been friends before everything in my life went to hell, and that was a lot to say. I got sick first when I was ten years old, and she visited me in the hospital until I was back in school. She treated me no differently after she found out than she did before. I was normal to her. She didn't feel the need to walk on eggshells around me, which I always appreciated.

"I'm Stephen." He said, sort of shyly, even though he knew I already knew. I led him down the hallway, and sat down in one of the waiting rooms. It had couches you'd think would be comfortable, but weren't, and magazines scattered across the tables.

"I'm Jazlyn." I said, smiling, without even looking at him. He sat down, sinking into the couch cushions. I seated myself on the same couch, far away from his as I could be.

He looked at me with dark eyes curiously, head tilted. "So, your friend... you know, the doctor, she's pretty young?"

I nodded. "One of the youngest."

"You must be proud of her." He said, smiling warmly.

I nodded, still not looking at him. It made me nervous, looking and talking to boys. I'd never really "been in love", per say, and I knew nothing of the opposite sex. "I am."

It was silent for a moment, then he cleared his throat. "I really hope Brian's alright. His voice is pretty important to our band, you know, him being the singer and whatnot." He said teasingly, and I giggled, finally looking over at him. He had a grin on his face as he looked at me, and I felt a strange flutter in the pit of my stomach, that I immediately shut away.

"Yeah, if he's out of commission voice-wise, you'll be shit out of luck, won't you?"

"No doubt about it." He said, chuckling lightly. "So, Jazlyn... tell me about yourself."

"I, um... I work at a book store in the mall just a few blocks from here. My friends sometimes call me Jaz... I'm a cat person, I'm forever single..."

He chuckled, and nodded. "Oh yeah?"

"Yeah. Pretty much."

I wasn't totally sure why I was telling him these things. I could hear the mumbling of voices somewhere down the hall, and I ignored them, crossing my legs and shoving my Ray Ban's up onto my black beanie.

"Why are you so called 'forever single'?"

I shrugged, running my fingers through my black hair. "I dunno. I'm just awkward and you know... Yeah."

He just smiled at me.

"Well, what about you, Mr. Gomez? Tell me about yourself."

"Well... I'm in The Summer Set with Brian, my brother John, and my friends Josh and Jess. I am also single, I play bass... and... yeah." He said, and I giggled, nodding. "So the mall a few blocks from here... the bookstore is on the second floor, right?"

I nodded. "Yep."

"I've been there a few times. I go there and you know... buy books to read..." He shrugged.

"Yeah, usually that's why people go to bookstores, you know. To buy things to read." I teased, and a light blush rose up into his cheeks, and I giggled.

"True, true. There is also just going to see the pretty girl that works there, too. That's also a reason." He said, his cheeks darkening even more. I giggled, grinning. I honestly couldn't remember the last time a boy complimented me.

Then, I remembered, and the smile was wiped from my face, and I stared at the ground.

"Sorry, that was....Sorry." He mumbled, running his fingers through his hair. All I did was shrug, and continue staring at the white hospital floor, waiting for Rae to come back out, finished with this cute boy's friend.
♠ ♠ ♠
Jazlyn's outfit
Hey, whats up! Thanks for reading :) I'm Vienna, Obviously, I'm writing in Jazlyn's point of view. I hope you enjoy the character as much as I do :3
Katie and i would very much appreciate if you comment, and subscribed :)
thanks!