Status: in the works.

Through the Afterglow

she's got broken things where her heart should be.

I wandered the aisles of the bookstore, putting new books on the "New Releases" section. My hair was tied up in a messy ponytail, and a baggy, dark green t-shirt and black pants, serving as my uniform. It was ridiculously unflattering.

I was exhausted. I'd had a rough sleep. I had a stomach cramp all night, which probably was the foreshadowing of a certain monthly visitor, or something... but I couldn't help but wonder. When I was first diagnosed, there wasn't even any pain at all... and there was always a chance for relapse...

I shook my head, mentally scolding myself, almost finished stocking up the shelf positioned in the middle of the store.

Someone behind me cleared their throat, and I jumped, whirling around to face the customer. "Uh, hi." I greeted awkwardly, initially staring at the ground. When I finally looked up, I saw smiling brown eyes, and a familiar smirk.

"Hi." He said, sounding sort of shy. I smiled, tilting my head.

"Is there anything I can help you with, sir?" I said teasingly, clutching the small stack of books in my arms.

"Nothing particularly... just browsing so far..." Stephen said, smiling. "It's nice to see you again."

"I knew I shouldn't have told you where I worked. I knew you'd find me." I grinned at him, putting up the last few books, and walking from that aisle, straightening my ponytail.

"Who says I didn't just come here for a book?" He voiced defensively.

"Well, what book did you come here for then?" I said, turning to look at him. My boss was standing at the front counter, paying no attention to me, thank god.

"I dunno. I was hoping you could help me with that."

"Well, depends on what you wanna read." I teased, looking at him. He just shrugged sheepishly.

"Well, I guess I'll just look around..." He said, turning his back on me and walking away a few steps. I watched him, amused. He turned back around and looked at me.

"I thought you were looking around."

He shrugged again, chuckling more to himself than me, and looked at his feet. "Changed my mind."

I laughed, pulling my cell phone from my pocket, and beginning to text Rae. Stephen is here, at the book store. I said, sending the text, and putting the phone back in my pocket.

"You texting your doctor friend?" Stephen asked, curiously looking at me.

"Rae? Yeah, why?"

"No reason really. Brian hasn't stopped talking about her..." He laughed, running his fingers through his hair. I smiled, knowing how good it would be for Rae to have a good guy. Stephen smiled at me, looking as if he was smiling for the same reason. But that was impossible, I mean, he didn't even know Rae. And since when was I able to read people like that?

Maybe he was just easy for me.

Which was good.

I shook my head, and the smile fell from Stephen's face as I kept thinking to myself "don't let him in, don't smile at him, don't become attracted, don't get attached..."

My phone vibrated, and I quickly pulled it from my pocket and opened the message I just got. It was from Rae, naturally.

Really? To see you? That's awesome, Jaz!

I typed in my response quickly,(I guess) and looked back to Stephen. "So, anyways, um... do you really want a book, or did you just come here to get me in trouble with my boss?" I said, emotionless, and for a moment he looked worried he'd pissed me off or something, and I loathed how hot and cold I'd become, so I smiled, though my mind protested.

"I did come for a book, but I'm not going to say I didn't come here on the off-chance you'd be here." He shrugged, shoving his hands in his pockets.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah." He said, glancing around the room. "I um... When's your break?"

"I already had it." I blinked, lying through my teeth.

"You don't have another?"

"Not today."

"When do you get off?"

"Seven."

"Any plans after?" He looked so nervous, I felt bad for saying all this bullshit. I did want to spend time with him, I knew that in my heart of hearts. I longed for someone to take care of me, and tell my secrets to. I wanted to fall in love, but whenever someone, anyone popped into my life, before I could even get to know them, I'd push them away.

"Yeah. I'm busy. I'm... sorry."

"It's fine." He said, sounding crestfallen. "I should go... you know, see if Brian's feeling better..."

Guilt flooded through me. "Hey, what about your book?" I said, gesturing to the shelves beside me. He grabbed the latest Stephen King novel I'd recently shelved, and nodded at me, half his mouth quirked up in a fake smile.

"Got it. See you around."

"Just because I'm busy tonight doesn't mean I'm not free soon..."

He smiled at me. "Well, I'll be in the mall in a few days, probably Thursday, with Brian, and the rest of the band, just for something to do. Will you be working?"

I thought for a moment, mentally checking my work schedule. "No, I won't, but Rae and I may be coincidentally shopping that day."

"Well, I know Brian has your friend Rae's number. We could all you know, bump into each other. You know, coincidentally."

I smiled. "Sounds like a coincidence in the making."

He grinned, clutching the book in his hand, as I hastily texted Rae, letting her know the plan.

We have plans Thursday. Brian, Stephen, the rest of their band, us, the mall. Deal?

I pressed send, and looked back up at Stephen.

"I better get going," he said, taking a few steps back, and almost crashing into a sale table. I suppressed a giggle. "See you around, Jazlyn."

"Bye, Stephen." I said, tilting my head. He smiled, waving before turning around and heading towards the front counter. I turned my back on him as well, making my way in between a few shelves, curiously staring up at a mirror positioned in the corner to make sure no one stole anything. It had a perfect view of the front desk, and the doors. I watched Stephen, as casually put the book back, smiled to himself, and left the store.

I guess he didn't really come for the book after all.
♠ ♠ ♠
You're Dead Wrong - Mayday Parade

Stephen and Jaz.

The new Mayday album is also amazing! I can't stop listening to it. SO many good bands are coming out with AWESOME new stuff lately. It's good. We Are The In Crowd, Mayday, Marianas Trench, The Maine soon. So excited!

Anyways, thanks for reading!