Status: Active

The Eragon Adventure

Chapter 10: This Is A New Life

Zysali walked away from Icenia and Murtagh, over to the boy she knew from her dreams. Through his posture she could see that he was worried. She glanced in the direction of where he was looking and saw Brom's resting figure.

"He'll be fine," she said. Eragon looked up at her and studied her face for a while.

"How can you be positive?" he asked quietly. She smiled at him.

"Magic can do many things, Eragon." She sat next to him and picked up a stone, murmuring, "Stenr rĂ¯sa." The stone levitated, and she slowly moved it over to him. When he held out his hand, she let it fall onto the wrinkled lines of his palm. He didn't react.

"What will happen now?" he asked.

"Now. . . Now I suppose, we go and find Arya. Then we head to the Varden."

"Where is the Varden?" he asked.

"Does it matter?" Murtagh said. Zysali jumped and turned to find him right behind her. She scowled. He had become as stealthy as an elf. "They won't want me there. I will help you to the Varden, and then I will take my leave and go back to Du Weldenvarden."

"Back to where?"

Murtagh scowled, and Zysali knew he was already annoyed by the boy's lack of education. She swept her hand in front of him and thought, *Remember, he is only a farm boy. He does not know as much as you did when you were his age.* He glanced away.

"Du Weldenvarden, the forest. The home of the elves. You'll be able to visit there someday, with Saphira. When you're both stronger."

"Stronger," scoffed Eragon. "What waits for us in the forest? Our doom?"

I watched him for a second, and then I pulled my hair behind my ears. "The elves mean you no harm, Eragon. Galbatorix is not one of us. As long as you are not for his cause, we welcome you to the depths of our forest." He looked away from me.

"What can you tell me. . . of Arya?" She stood, motioning for Murtagh to go to the mouth of the cave.

"Nothing she would want you to know without her permission," she said. She looked down at him, frowning. "Eragon, if you are thinking of Arya romantically, you best not. There was only one she fancied, and he was killed in the ambush that captured her." Zysali turned away from him and started to the mouth of the cave. A chilly wind began to blow and she hugged herself.

"What bothers you?" Murtagh said.

"The thought of rescuing Arya," she replied. "I thought plenty on where she could be, and there is only one place besides Uru'baen where she could be."

"Gilead." Zysali nodded.

"Our plight is far from hopeless," she said. "But we won't be able to retrieve her unscathed." Zysali glanced at the young rider and dragon. "Not to mention there is much training to do before we can take them to the Varden."

"I will keep his sword sharp. Icenia will keep his senses the same. You can keep his mind on edge, if you like." She frowned.

"Murtagh," she said, looking in the direction of the forest. "Nothing will end well for us."
♠ ♠ ♠
Oooooh foreboding.
Unlike Jessi, Miss Super Slow Reader, I already finished Inheritance. GOD. That's all I can say because I can't ruin it for everyone.
All I know is, it's a bad ending for Zysali. =)

<3~Schiz