Status: Active

The Eragon Adventure

Chapter 12: Last Ride of the Day

They were about midway through their journey to Gil’ead. Malatria’s hoofs clopped over the hard packed earth of the plains. The air was hot and dry. A bead of sweat dripped down Icenia’s back. When she looked up she could see the three dragons circling overhead. They were so high up they almost looked like birds.

Icenia sighed. Aguasari had wanted to go flying with her for days. But there had been too many towns around.

*I’ve decided we are going flying today, * Sari told Icenia nudging her shoulder.

*That sounds like a great idea, * Icenia replied.

*Thorn and Murtagh should fly with us, * Sari said mischievously.

*You are attracted to Thorn! * Icenia noted.

*Of course I am! By dragon standards he’s very…as you two-leggeds say…handsome, * Sari replied. *Besides, his Rider is your mate. That may add to the physical attraction. *

*You don’t have to explain it Sari. I understand, * Icenia told her partner.

Icenia felt Aquasari’s love for her flowing across their link. She let her own flow across in response.

“Sari and I are going flying now that we’re far away from any towns,” she told her companions.

“Have fun,” Zysali said with a smile.

“Would the two of you mind if we joined you?” Murtagh asked.

“No Murtagh, you can’t. We don’t want you,” Icenia laughed.

“Maybe I will anyway,” he replied grinning.

“Fine then. Maybe you should,” she jokingly snapped.

“Good I will.”

“Fine.”

By the end of their “argument” Murtagh and Icenia were laughing while Eragon and Zysali were simply shaking their heads.

“You two,” Zy sighed.

The couple just chuckled. The company stopped when the dragons landed. Icenia tied Malatria behind Zy’s saddle and Murtagh tied Tornac behind Eragon’s. Saphira agreed to stay on the ground as an added safety precaution. As soon as Icenia’s legs were secured in the saddle straps Aquasari threw them into the air with her powerful hind legs. With a few flaps from her mighty wings they were rising quickly. Murtagh and Thorn were right behind them.

The dragons climbed through the air until they were high enough. Wind whipped through Icenia’s long, golden hair. Sari suddenly banked right. Playful mischief almost oozed from Sari as she led Thorn on a wild chase through the sky. She twisted and turned with amazing skill. The blue dragon corkscrewed down towards the ground at an angle. Just before their pursuers caught them she opened her wings suddenly and leaving them behind again. Thorn was an amazing flyer in his own right but he still had problems keeping up with Sari. She had a great deal more experience on her side.

At that moment a thought struck Icenia. She reached out for Murtagh’s mind.

*Melt your mind with Thorn’s and I’ll do the same with Sari, * she suggested.

*Good idea! * The dragon’s agreed.

When she left his mind Sari immediately began to merge theirs. Icenia’s vision blurred before she saw things through Sari’s eyes. Her sight was different than Icenia’s. The colors were a bit different and some things were slightly distorted. They were almost the same identity. She felt Sari’s muscles as her own. Their wings beat with long, powerful strokes. Their tail helped keep them where they wanted to go. They looked to their left to see Thorn/Murtagh looking at them expectantly. Aquasari/Icenia snorted with amusement before barrel rolling under him and shooting off. They felt their companions nip playfully at the tip of their tail. With a great flap of their mighty wings they flew higher until they were above Thorn/Murtagh. They ducked behind them and nipped their tail in return.

The red dragon growled playfully and took off after the retreating form of Aquasari/Icenia. They turned back and blew a puff of smoke at their pursuers before corkscrewing upwards. Aquasari/Icenia laughed. It came out very growly and draconic which made it even more amusing.

When the four of them reached as high as it was safe to go they paused for a moment. Then by some unspoken word both dragons tucked their wings to their sides and started a hair-raising dive. Aquasari/Icenia felt the wind whip through their hair and caress the scales on their face. They locked talons with Thorn/Murtagh as they spiraled towards the ground. It was very reminiscent of dragon mating flights only this was simply for fun. The ground loomed closer with every second. Then at the very last second they unlocked their talons and unfurled their wings. They climbed back into the sky blowing great jets of blue and red fire. The exhilaration made their heart pound.

Just then they felt Zysali brush against their mind and well as Thorn/Murtagh’s.

*Alright showoffs. You had better get down here before you get too far ahead of us, * she said with amusement.

*Fine, * the four said at the same time.

Zysali retreated from their minds. Icenia and Aquasari began to diverge their minds.

*That was incredible! * Icenia said excitedly. She could still feel her heart racing.

*Indeed! We should do that again some time, * Sari agreed.

Icenia rested her head on Sari’s warm neck happily. The experience had brought them not only closer with Thorn and Murtagh but to each other as well.

*I love you Sari, * Icenia said contently.

*And I you Icenia, * Sari replied.

She felt Sari rumble contently beneath her like a purring cat. Looking to her right she saw Murtagh rubbing Thorn’s neck lovingly. He looked up at her and smiled warmly. She couldn’t help but smile back. For the moment life was good.
♠ ♠ ♠
I finally updated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sooooooooo sorry for the wait but I just couldn't get this chapter right. This chapter's been bouncing around in my head for so long I really wanted to make it as epic as I imagined it. I hope I got close.
Thank you so much to all who commented and a bigger one to stuck around!!!!!!

Ice Cat