Status: Active

The Eragon Adventure

Chapter 4: A Surprise

Zysali stalked through the trees of the forest, enjoying the cool morning air. Only a day had passed since her squabble with her brother, and she hadn't spoken with him since. She walked slowly, her mind on how she would talk to Talon when she spoke with him next.

She stopped, hearing the faint, distant sounds of the stable, and began walking toward it. No one stopped her and for that she was grateful. She wasn't in a very talkative mood. She continued on her way and walked into the open stables where horses grazed freely.

Her mare stood off to the side, looking as unsocial as she felt. Zysali walked over to it and ran her hand through it's soft black mane.

"How are you, Star?" Zysali whispered. The horse tossed her head and lowered her eye to look into Zysali's.

Like Zysali, Star had a brother, that was with Talon now. Talon's horse was black with a white star and mane, while Star was white with black star and mane. Whenever the two were apart, the other felt unrest, like Zysali now that her brother was fighting the war. Zysali sighed and moved to pet her mare's head.

She was tempted to go for a ride but knew that was against the rules. She satisfied with petting her mare's head and let herself tune into the more animal feelings around her.

A familiar man's voice sounded and Zysali turned her head to watch as Murtagh walked into the room, following Drelrath. She watched them stalk over to the gray stallion, talk about the horse for a while. Murtagh nodded, clasped Drelrath's arm, and left.

Drelrath watched him go, then turned and noticed Zysali. He smiled and made his way over. Zysali nodded to him and continued brushing through the soft hair on her mare's head.

"Well met, Zysali."

"Hello, Drelrath."

"Feeling a little anti-social today?"

"How did you know?"

"You always come to Star when something is on your mind. Makes me quite glad I gave her to you; I see more of you this way." Zysali smiled.

"I do tend to hole up," she admitted. She turned to her horse, who nuzzled her hand.

"Zysali, I've been thinking very hard lately and..."

Drelrath paused and Zysali prompted him. "What is it?"

"... Will you be my mate?" Zysali froze. "I.. care about you very much, Zysali, and... I want to make sure you'll always be taken care of."

Zysali stared at him for a while before saying, "Did my brother ask you to do this? So that I would stay in the forest while he fights the war?"

"No," Drelrath said firmly, shaking his head. "I'm doing this out of my own concern, not his. I'm afraid..."

"That if he doesn't come back, I'll have nothing to live for? That I'll weep and lose myself until I throw myself off of a cliff or meld myself into the trees? You should know I'm stronger than that, Drelrath."

"I know," he whispered. "I just worry about you, Zysali."

Her features softened and she looked away. "Give me time," she said. He nodded and she hurried out of the stalls, away from that part of the forest, her head and heart aching.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry. I was like. SO out of it. And man, I'm packed with homework. But I promised Jessi (SO WEIRD) that I would at least update on weekends, so here it is. Update number cuatro!

Please comment!
<3~Schiz