Status: Active

The Eragon Adventure

Chapter 6: Ill News Indeed

The five of them had been riding for weeks now. They were camped just out side of Bullrigde and Zysali had gone into the small town to get the latest news and gossip disguised as a human. Icenia, Murtagh and the dragons were holed up in the cave where the camp was located. She was keeping lookout on top of the hill above the cave. Her eyes caught a blur coming from the direction of the city.

*Here she comes*, she told the others.

Icenia swiftly scurried down the sharp, rocky hill. Part of being tied to a snow leopard was that she excelled at climbing. When she got to the cave Zy was already there. She had a grim look.

“What news?” Murtagh asked.

“It seems the young Rider and his companions are heading south from what I can gather. It is all a bit sketchy”, she said.

Icenia cocked her head to the side. “This is not ill news yet you look as if you swallowed something foul”.

“I’ve heard disturbing rumors. If they are true then we are in very deep trouble indeed”, she replied.

*Speak. Tell us what troubles you*, Sari demanded.

Zy hesitated, “There are disturbing tales from the south and west of a Rider being spotted”.

“This is surprising, if Brom is with them surely he would not want so much attention drawn”, Murtagh noted.

“I’m afraid it’s far worse than that. Oromis said that the dragon traveling with Brom is a small, sapphire blue female. The stories I’ve heard don’t match that description. They say it is large and deep, wine red”.

The cave was instantly silent. Icenia glanced over at Murtagh. He was pale and he was in shock. Suddenly it looked like Zy’s news had settled in and he became red. He clenched his fists and his knuckles turned white. His face was torn between rage and agony. Murtagh rushed out of the room.

<{*}>

Murtagh’s POV

Murtagh felt anguish and anger tear through him like a fire through dead grass. He rushed out of the cave and up to the top of the hill. When he reached the top he noticed his hands were shaking uncontrollably. Hot tears sting his eyes. He sat on a large bolder.

Zysali’s story must be a lie. There was no possible way Morzan was alive. Brom had killed him. He still remembered the terrifying rage Galbatorix had been in when he’d learned the news. The carnage had been indescribable, both human and material. The messenger that had brought such ill tidings had been the first to feel the king’s wrath. Murtagh shuttered as he remembered the poor man’s screams.

Had he found some way to bring back his father? If so, how? Oromis had made it very clear that it was impossible. But that didn’t explain the rumors. He knew there was still one egg that hadn’t hatched but what were the chances of it being red?

*It’s not the last egg, Murtagh*, Thorn said in his mind as the dragon climbed up to join him. He’d been so deep in thought he hadn’t hear him. *It is green. Besides, it is unlikely that a dragon could be that large even if it hatched the same day I was. Zysali said it is even larger than what Sari should be at her age. We all think it is some trickery from the Mad-King. He has played with magic that should not be trifled with*.

*So you think it is Morzan then? * Murtagh said as more of a statement than question.

*Aye, I do*, he said apologetically.

*If it he is some how back we stand no chance if he finds us, even with Icenia and Aquasari*, Murtagh noted.

*You think that the Mad-King has taught him his evil-blood-magic? * Thorn asked.

*I would stake my life on it. Galbatorix won’t go out or his castle but he needs some one who will and knows how to do his twisted will. Who better than his oldest, most faithful servant that he brought back from the dead? Morzan is more tied to him now than he was when I was a child. That is a truly terrifying thought. At least, back then he had thoughts of his own. If I am correct he has no thoughts of his own save the ones the king has put in his mind*.

*This is ill news indeed*.

*I fear that is only the tip of a very terrible sword. If I know Galbatorix he has more tricks up his sleeve than any of us can conceive*.

*Well no matter what the Mad-King throws at us we will fight through it, my tooth and claw and your sword and bow. Not to mention Icenia and Sari will stand by us through anything. It will all work out little one. This I promise you*, Thorn nudged Murtagh with his snout. He felt the dragon’s sympathy and support.

Murtagh wrapped his arms around his beloved dragon’s neck and let his appreciation and love spill through their bond. *Thank you, dear friend. You have given me hope again*. He felt and heard the dragon hum contently. They just let their emotions flood between them do the talking.

They made their way back down to the cave when Murtagh was feeling better. As he stepping in he saw Icenia look his way with a concerned expression. She rushed up and threw her arms around him.

“Are you well?” she asked.

“All things considered I am as well as a person can be”, he replied.

“What happened? You just rushed out”.

“I had to clear my head. Thorn came up and we sorted it out”.

“I would have come with him but he told me to stay and that it was a matter for you two”, she said apologetically.

“He was right. This is not your burden to bear, my love”, he assured her.

She nodded understandingly and left his arms to continue what she’d been doing.
♠ ♠ ♠
So what do you all think? I hope you like it!
Big thanks to Random.Hero and Flazar for their awesome comments. PLEASE PEOPLE WE NEED MORE COMMENTS! They make me update faster.
Also huge thanks to emotionalwreck for her amazing banner!!!!!!

Image

Thank you all for reading!!

Ice Cat