Status: Active

The Eragon Adventure

Chapter 7: Making Plans

Icenia’s POV

A week or so later they were sitting around the campfire after dinner. Everyone was quiet that night, wrapped up in their own thoughts.

Zysali finally broke the silence. “I suppose you four have discussed it with each other already but since no one has spoken to me about it I shall ask. Also I realize that this is a bit of a touchy subject for you Murtagh but oh well”, she had been quieter and kept to herself more than Icenia was use to seeing.

She wondered if it had anything to do with her being with Murtagh. When Icenia had asked her about it she’d brushed it off.

“What are we to do if we encounter Morzan?” she continued.

“Actually I do not think we’ve talked about it at all”, Icenia said looking to Murtagh.

*Well Murtagh and I spoke of it a bit when you first told us but this is true. I think it’s high time we did*, Thorn added.

“I say we avoid him at any cost. If I am correct he’s even more dangerous than before. As I told Thorn that day, Morzan is even more tied to Galbatorix now than he was when I was a child. That is a truly terrifying thought. At least, back then he had thoughts of his own. I would wager he has no thoughts of his own save the ones the king has put in his mind. On top of that you can be sure that the king has taught him his darkest spells and tricks, now that there is no possible way for Morzan to betray him…not that there was any chance of that originally”, Murtagh said.

“I can only assume the king’s had plenty of time to find more since we last crossed paths”, Icenia added putting her hand over where part of the scar on her stomach was hidden by her shirt.

“Does that mean we flee madly like deer at the sight of him, then?” Zysali asked.

*Not if he has us in a position where we can’t. At that point, I say, we fight back until we get a chance to escape*, Aquasari said.

“That sounds easier said than done”, Zy said.

“It is. My guess is that it will take all of us. When we get the new Rider it will increase our chances. I just hope it will not come to that”, he said.

They nodded. Icenia looked at the map she’d brought alone.

“You picked a good time to bring this up, Zy. Right now we are the closest we shall be to Urû'baen. I spoke to Oromis and Glaedr through his Eldunarí. They said that the young Rider is still heading south”, Icenia said.

Her friends looked at her.

“Where do you think Brom is taking them? Surda? The Varden?” Zy asked.

*I’m not sure. Either one would be dangerous. Being a Rider he’d be pulled into the political whirlpool the instant their presence was know. Those mad dogs would tear a fifteen-year-old boy to shreds. His dragon may be put in very prickly positions because of any oaths the Rider takes. Not even Brom could protect him*, Sari said.

“I don’t understand why they are even heading south. The elves made a deal with the Varden when he stole the egg. If the Rider were human, they would be trained by Brom for a time before finishing with Oromis and Glaedr. The boy is from Palancar Valley. If I were Brom I can think of a few nearby places I would take them, the outskirts of Du Weldanvarden, the Spine or the island of Vroengard where the Riders of old lived. It makes no sense”, Icenia said.

“What if the boy was after something?” Murtagh asked.

“That would make sense, but what would he be after?” Zy asked.

“I remember hearing a rumor that there were sightings of mysterious strangers in black cloaks up north around that area. At first I dismissed them but now I’m not so sure”, Murtagh said.

*Ra’zac? * Thorn asked.

“That was my guess”.

“They must have been sent after the boy”, Icenia noted.

“What if they killed some one that was close to him?” Zy suggested.

“I think it’s safe to assume that he’d want revenge. Knowing Brom, he would already be aware that the boy is a Rider and comes along. Brom knows that the Ra’zac and Lethrblaka live in Helgrind outside of Dras-Leona”, Icenia said.

*Which would explain why they are heading south! The boy has a goal to keep him busy and Brom get’s a chance to train him. It works right into his hands*, Sari said.

“Exactly!” Icenia exclaimed.

“At least now we know where we are going”, Zy observed. “How are we to find them when we get there?”

*From what Oromis said we will beat them there, but not by much. Why don’t we set up patrols? Thorn and I can fly around at night, Icenia can take over during the day and Murtagh and Zysali can patrol on the ground*, Sari suggested.

*That sounds like a wise plan*, Thorn said and every one nodded.

“You know what else sounds like a wise plan?” Icenia chuckled. “Sleep. We won’t reach Dras-Leona for another few days and when we do we will need our strength”.

Murtagh smiled, “Good idea”.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image

Hi ya'll! Here's another chapter. Hope you like it. Working out the whole where and why thing with Brom and Eragon was like doing proofs back in geometry! Figuring out the 'whys' and such is so confusing! But I think this turned out well. Sorry this is kind of a fillerish but don't worry things will heat up very soon.
Big thanks to Flazar and Random.Hero for their wonderful comments!!!!!!!! Sadly those are the only people who comment. Four comments out of seven subscribers :(. I update faster the more comments I get! Thanks to everyone that's reading.

Ice Cat