Status: Active

The Eragon Adventure

Chapter 8: An Old Friend

Murtagh flitted through the trees in front of Zysali, who covered his back and glanced around often. The night was dark; of all nights, this was the kind of night she would use when confronting faster enemies.

"Murtagh," she called. He paused and waited for her to catch up to him. There was a lot on her mind, not just the problems that Brom, the new rider, and Morzan pushed forth. "Can I ask you a question?" He smiled.

"You just did, but go ahead, ask another." Zysali scowled for a moment, then glanced around.

"There is a boy, I see in my dreams. He does not see me, and yet I see him, feel how he feels and know what he sees." Murtagh raised his eyebrow at her. "I do not ask to see him; at least, I didn't. Yet I've come to depend on his appearance; every time I don't dream of him, I feel as if something inside me is dying, and yet, when I do see him, that something blooms into a new rose."

"This boy. Have you met him?" She shook her head. "You've never seen him before these strange dreams." Again, she shook her head. "Hmm."

Zysali glanced around and then started moving once more. "I don't understand why, or how, he's become so important to me." She looked up at him quickly. "He's a human boy. A farmer."

Murtagh was silent. They walk through the forrest, keeping their eyes open.

"Shh," Zysali said, stopping. Murtagh stopped in front of her. "Do you hear it?" Murtagh listened for a while, then nods. There was no mistaking the hissing noises. They vaulted through the trees toward the sound and called out to their friends with their minds.

They stopped in the outskirts of the clearing, their eyes on the hunched forms of the robbed Ra'zac. The two were hissing at a barely concious boy. Zysali glanced around and saw Brom. She inched toward him and whispered a healing spell as Icenia came into view.

*Where are the dragons?* Zysali asked, speaking directly to their minds.

*Circling above. We don't want to give away our position.*

Brom stirred and glanced up at Zysali, who smiled at her old companion. The two had had many great adventures, one leading up to Brom's discovery of the new dragon's egg. He gave her a knowing look, brushing his conciousness against hers before looking over at the boy. He nodded slowly at Zysali and she glanced at Murtagh.

*Rain fire upon them, Shur'tugal.* Murtagh smiled and pulled out his bow and arrow, shooting at first one of the Ra'zac and then the other. The two robbed creatures began to run, and as they did, the larger of the two tossed its poisoned knife in the boy's direction. Brom let out a shout and threw himself in front of the blade. The boy cried out, as did Zysali and Icenia, as Murtagh chased the creatures away.

He tried to heal Brom, but was unable to, and fainted. Zysali rushed forward and assessed the wound.

"Sethr oil," she said. "This had to be what they were tracking, to get here."

Icenia looked up as Murtagh appeared. "Well?"

"They got away." She cursed.

"Icenia, give me a hand here. I know how to save him but I need a little power." Zysali raised her hand simply over his wound and began the spell that would take the sethr oil from his veins. The oil was so deeply rooted that the spell lasted five minutes before all of the evil poison was out. Zysali paused to breathe before beginning to heal the wound. "He'll be out, for at least twenty four hours. Let's get these two somewhere safe for now."

It was then Zysali took her first look at the face of the boy and recognized the one she'd seen hunting in her dreams.

"Eragon."
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm really sorry this took so long guys. I've been grounded. I mostly have to apologize to Jessi. Also, Jessi, thank you for Chapter 7, because without it, I would have had no idea how to go about writing Chapter 8 (which would have been chapter 7?). I hope this is adequate enough for you, and for our readers, and I promise this will not happen again.

In explanation of some of the things I wrote here, I pulled out my copy of Brisingr (because I don't have Eragon or Eldest) and used some of the translations. Shur'tugal means Dragon Rider.

Also, because I don't have Eragon or Eldest, some of the things that should have been in the books can be a bit off. It's been quite some time since I last read either of the first two books of the Inheritance series, so forgive me if some of the information is wrong. I'm doing my best, and plan to get both of the books from my library soon.