Uncharted

Morning.

"Bailey."

I couldn't help but groan as my name was whispered into my ear.

"Bailey, I need you to get up."

Another groan escaped my lips before I shifted positions. A hand fell to the side of my face, and gently began to stroke my cheek, coaxing me from my dreamless sleep. Opening one eye, I looked up to Jonny with a sigh, realizing we were still on the couch.

"Five more minutes," I breathed, closing my eye again.

He laughed softly before shaking me slightly. "I can't give you five more minutes. I need a ride back to my place. I have to change before practice."

With a deep breath, I sat myself up. Turning towards my bedroom, I noticed the door was open. Before I could even ask, Jonny shook his head. "She's fine. She left about an hour ago," he said, answering my unasked question.

"Where did she go?" I questioned, looking back to him.

In the few hours that I was asleep, I had all but forgotten about Jonny's black eye. Seeing it in the daylight made it almost worse. He was having a little trouble blinking, and the pain on his face whenever his eye went to close was easy to detect. As much as I wanted to say something, I couldn't.

"Home, I guess. She didn't really say much," he answered, stretching out his arms. "But come on, we have to go."

He tapped my leg lightly. I sighed and stood up. Walking into my bedroom slowly, I slid off the clothes I had fallen asleep in and stepped back into the living room looking a bit more presentable. My eyes finally found a clock. It was nearly six a.m.

The car ride to Jonny's was mostly a silent one. For one, I was still exhausted and could barely keep my eyes open. I also didn't know what to talk about, since I had a feeling that bringing up what happened last night wouldn't go over well for either of us.

As I pulled into his driveway, I sighed. "Did you hit him?" I finally asked as I put the car into park and glanced his way. Jonny wouldn't look at me, but his face said it all.

"He needs to grow up," Jonny said, anger growing in his voice. "He's going to be a Dad soon, and that's how he acts in public?"

I tapped my finger on the steering wheel curiously. "Maybe he's just scared," I tried to point out. Having a kid could drive anyone to do stupid things, though I couldn't exactly claim that was a reason for his actions.

""I don't know what it is," he began, "we didn't do much talking."

Glancing up, I could see Jonny looking at me. "Can we talk about this later?" I offered up, knowing he had to go. My question was answered with a quick nod and a kiss. Before I could say anything else, he was out of my car, grabbing his bags, and walking into his condo.

-x-

Work was worse than any day prior. Thanks to missing the day before, we were forced to go over every single detail of the rehearsal dinner, the wedding, and the reception. It was nearly ten hours of wedding details, and by the time I walked into my apartment, I never wanted to think about wedding plans ever again.

I pushed the door open to my apartment and threw my collection of bags and books straight onto my couch. I reached the fridge and pulled out a beer, popping it open and chugging almost a fourth of it in a few big gulps. Just as my lips left the bottle, my phone began to ring again.

"I swear to God," I muttered, pulling the phone from my jacket pocket. Without even looking at it, I pressed the answer button. "I'm off the clock, whatever you need will have to wait until tomorrow," I spat into the phone.

"Well that sucks, since there isn't a game tomorrow," Jonny spoke on the other end.

I let out a large sigh of relief before making my way to the living room. I planted myself down and closed my eyes. "I'm sorry. Today has just been..."

"...hell," he said, finishing my sentence, "I know the feeling. But I have two tickets to tonight's game, and I thought maybe you can talk Sara into showing up."

Taking a deep breath, I took another drink of my beer. "You know Sara, it's not going to be that easy," I began, standing up and heading into my room. "Can't I invite Christine or Erin?"

"It has to be Sara," Jonny stated, shooting down my idea. "Please. If anyone can get her to agree, it's you."

The last of my beer ran down my throat as I considered his offer. "Fine, but if I get my head bitten off, I blame you."