Uncharted

Apology

My stomach was uneasy. It always got this way when I was forced to lie, but it seemed to be twice as bad when Sara was the one I was lying to. Normally, she caught on, which meant terrible things for me. If there was one thing that Sara hated, it was being lied to, and I was doing just that.

"Where did you say we were going again?" Sara asked, flipping through a book of baby names that she carried with her almost constantly.

"To get some food. I've told you this a thousand times," I answered, keeping my eyes on the road instead of on her.

Turning the page slowly, she scanned the names that littered the page. "I know, but I don't think you told me where."

Swallowing hard, I took another turn. "I didn't. It's a bit of a surprise."

I was expecting an plethora of questions. Why was it a secret? Where were we going? What kind of food was it? Anything. Instead, my best friend nodded my direction, and sat there in silence. Maybe she was finally letting me have control for once. Maybe she actually trusted me...

....and maybe, I was fucked.

As we passed the lights of the United Center, I noticed Sara's eyes lift. We made that always familiar turn to where we usually parked, and Sara's eyes narrowed. "No," she said simply, her head shooting my way. "Turn this car around, now!"

I felt my face grimace as I pulled into a spot. "I can't," I said, shifting the car into park.

"Why not?! I don't want to be here! What the fuck are you thinking?!" Sara spat at me. Her eyes were daggers, constantly stabbing me as I looked at the steering wheel.

Taking a deep breath, I shook my head. "Jonny asked me to," I began. "He said that I had to bring you to this game. You know that if I thought this was going to hurt you, I wouldn't bring you here."

"Take me home," Sara demanded.

Rolling my eyes, I pushed open my door and pull the keeps from the ignition. "No," I said simply, stepping out of the car.

"Then I will walk my pregnant ass home!" Sara shouted, shoving her door open and stepping out with a little bit of difficulty.

"Good luck," I said, locking the door as soon as she closed the door. I knew there was a smile on my face, mostly because Sara wouldn't be walking anywhere. Turning my back on Sara, I started towards the building, waiting to hear the footsteps following behind me. Before long, there they were.

-x-

As usual, our seats were wonderful. Glass seats right next to the Blackhawks bench. Sometimes I wondered how Jonny managed to pull such amazing tickets for us, but I felt like the question would ruin the magic.

I sat next to Sara, munching away at my popcorn. It was obvious just from looking at Sara that she was furious with me. She practically followed me up to the gates, but then I had to force her inside. She refuse any sort of food, though I knew that her pregnant cravings would kick in soon, and I would be forced to go fetch her whatever she wanted.

The boys had skated past several times, offering up a few waves and a puck or two. I found my eyes focused on Jonny so much, that I hadn't been paying an ounce of attention to Sara, who was still busy brooding. She even chose to ignore the puck that Kane had flipped to her (which had nearly hit her in the top of her head), that had sorry written on it in bold letters.

"Will you please cheer up?" I questioned, knowing that I was going to get a mere grunt in response. Silence was the only thing I got from Sara, however.

Another roll came to my eyes as the boys began to wrap up their warm ups. I waved one final time to Jonny before he skated off the ice. Before he disappeared, he pointed to Sara, and then up to the score board and the big screen.

I was confused, until I heard a voice coming over the speakers. My eyes shot around the ice, trying to find him, but I couldn't. Finally, Patrick appeared from the benches. I turned to Sara, who also had her eyes completely focused on her husband.

"First off, I want to thank everyone for showing up here tonight, and we can't wait to give you all a show," Patrick began, skating around the ice slowly, waving to various people. "But, I'd like to first welcome someone very special to me to this game. Sara, would you please stand up?"

I turned my head to Sara, who sat there, jaw dropped. "S...Sara," I said, shaking her lightly. "You have to stand up."

Slowly, my pregnant best friend stood up, taking care to not hurt herself or the baby. Patrick stood a few feet from us on the other side of the glass.

"First things first," he started again, "I want to say that I'm sorry for being such a jerk the other night. You don't deserve that type of behavior out of me, and I apologize."

Everyone else in the arena had their eyes glued to Patrick, while mine never once left Sara. I didn't know how she was going to react to this, and I had to be prepared for whatever she might thrown my way.

"You deserve better than me, but I'm not giving up. I love you more than anything in this world, and I will love our child just as much. You hear sorry come out of my mouth a lot, but I truly mean it, and I hope you can forgive me. Thanks," he finished, lowering the mic and smiling our direction before skating off the ice.

I watched Patrick disappear back to the locker room before I turned my attention to Sara. A small smile had sprouted up on my face, but she was doing something else. Tears slowly fell down her cheeks, and that was enough for me to know that everything was going to be alright between them.